Those Unstable, Superstitious Christians

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
By David Limbaugh

Why does it make so many on the Left uncomfortable that President Bush openly professes his reliance on God in performing his official duties?

Actor Richard Gere has joined in the chorus led by Ralph Nader and others condemning President Bush for mixing his faith with his governance. "One thing I've learned in my life is never to trust anyone who thinks that he exclusively has God on his side," said Gere to a crowd of like-minded Hollywooders.

Gere's brilliant insight followed a recent statement by perennial presidential aspirant and equal opportunity nuisance Ralph Nader lambasting Bush for not divorcing his faith from his public service. Nader was apparently disturbed by a passage in Bob Woodward's new book.

Woodward reports that when Bush was in the process of deciding to attack Iraq he prayed "for the strength to do the Lord's will." This "revelation" reportedly prompted Nader to tell the Christian Science Monitor, "We are dealing here with a basically unstable president … a messianic militarist.

A messianic militarist, under our constitutional structure, is an unstable office-holder. Talk about separation of church and state: It is not separated at all in Bush's brain, and this is extremely disturbing."

Hold on a second there, Ralph. One with a messianic complex would regard himself as a savior or liberator, according to dictionaries I've consulted. In the statements Nader is referring to, President Bush is doing just the opposite. He is asking God to give him the strength to do God's will. Nothing could be more humble; nothing could be less egotistical. Nothing could be less "messianic."

That's one of the ironic things about Bush's secular critics. They see him as a man literally eaten up with macho-pride and cowboy swagger, yet at his core, he is a man of extraordinary humility, a person who understands this historic moment is not about him, but about the causes, people, and most of all, God he serves.

And while Bush quietly admits that he cherishes his personal relationship with God, he doesn't claim his relationship is exclusive or that he's receiving direct orders from God, especially as to generalship of the war.

David Aikman, author of the new book "A Man of Faith: The Spiritual Journey of George W. Bush," says that Bush is not unduly conspicuous about his faith. "He's never said God told us to go to war, never said God told me to do anything … He's been very careful," said Aikman.

So why do liberal elitists recoil like snakes when Bush makes references to his faith? Why do they act like it's newsworthy when the highest officeholder in the land admits to being a practicing Christian in a nation where most citizens claim to be Christians?

Well, one possible reason is that they believe in a pure separation of church and state, at least as it applies to the Christian church. Some adhere it to such an extreme degree -- as evidenced by Ralph Nader's ludicrous quote above -- that they insist it requires a Christian to separate his faith from his governance.

As if it's possible (or desirable) to create an internal Chinese firewall in someone's brain or his personality to cordon off his worldview from his decisions in office. As if Christians should not only keep their opinions to themselves, but from themselves.

How would Ralph like it if we told him he should not allow his moral judgments about corporate greed to affect his political advocacy or inform his candidacy?

Isn't the double standard painfully obvious? It's not the secularists' allegiance to church-state separation that drives them, but an abiding distrust of and hostility toward Christianity, which many of them see as a dangerous superstition.

A perfect illustration of this is an e-mail I received in response to my last column on the book "I Don't Have Enough Faith To Be an Atheist." My correspondent wrote, "when grown men and women believe Noah and his brood incestuously repopulated the whole planet, I am a bit dismayed that people can be so stupid."

There you have it. Christians are unstable, science-averse simpletons so weak they have to rely on a fictitious savior, so unsophisticated they believe in the forces of good and evil, and so reckless that they will fight wars to protect their national security even if many of America's traditional allies don't have the courage or rectitude to join them.

Oh, how far we've come in this nation since it was considered unquestionably noble to place our "firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence."

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2004/4/23/121811.shtml

too many times throughout humanities history have we witnessed horrible acts committed in the name of a god, any god. It would seem only natural, using basic unfeeling logic, that to place the direction of a country on what one person perceives as divine will, to question that very position.

It would be worthwhile to add that if one looks across most of our founding documents, and then current press articles where the liberal side is expressed, this is the overwhelming trend and HAS been for sometime.

DK, note I said the TREND. ;)

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
too many times throughout humanities history have we witnessed horrible acts committed in the name of a god, any god. It would seem only natural, using basic unfeeling logic, that to place the direction of a country on what one person perceives as divine will, to question that very position.

I agree. Does that make it right?

There have also been many kind, benevolent, and generous acts performed in the name of God. Bush isn't solely driving the country towards some single, diving will. He's just taking his faith into account when making decisions, which is something everyone does. When religion comes up, we always hear about how religion is bad because of the Crusades, the Inquisition, and Muslim fanatacism. However, we never hear about the people who follow the command "love one another" and are somebody's friend when no one else wants to be. You never hear about the churchs who collect food and other basic commodities and selflessly give them away to people who can't afford them. You never hear about the churches that give Christmas to children whose parents can't afford it. You also never hear of the people who, in the name of God, bring nutrition, sanitation, and medicine to some disease infested craphole corner of the world. You can't simply decide that religion, by it's very nature, is a bad thing simply because a few people have invoked the name of God while performing acts directly contradictary to his teachings.

to question it or use it? :p:

:clap:

Caught me. I didn't even know I did that until after.

I guess my question is : Is it right to act AGAINST such a thing. Given Hobbits point and given ANYTHING can be claimed inthe name of religion or non-religion, (which IS religion), the mere fact is that the whole issue cancels its self out.

It comes down to the fact that if your government establishes its self as a system built upon Biblical principles, is it right to oppose the nation's direction and foundation based upon the religion opposing?

I might add that if Christianity is a RELATIONSHIP with a creator, and in comparison can stand on its own in proof of being devine, that is an entirely different issue as I am trying to look at this from the other side.

I let a lot of the religious references bush uses slide off, but this one shook me a bit:

"God told me to strike at al-Qaida and I struck them, and then He instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East. If you help me, I will act, and if not, the elections will come and I will have to focus on them."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A37944-2003Jun26?language=printer

How exactly did god tell him? I'm not arguing against striking at alqaida (or whatever today's spelling is), just a bit put off by him saying god told him to...

Originally posted by Aquarian
I let a lot of the religious references bush uses slide off, but this one shook me a bit:

How exactly did god tell him? I'm not arguing against striking at alqaida (or whatever today's spelling is), just a bit put off by him saying god told him to...

Let's not forget this part:

Two calls to the White House for clarification went unreturned, but colleague Glenn Kessler did some digging. The Haaretz reporter, Arnon Regular, read what the paper said were minutes of the Palestinians' meeting to Kessler and another colleague, who is an Arabic speaker.

The Arabic-speaking colleague's translation, was this: "God inspired me to hit al Qaeda, and so I hit it. And I had the inspiration to hit Saddam, and so I hit him. Now I am determined to solve the Middle East problem if you help. Otherwise the elections will come and I will be wrapped up with them."

Even then, there's uncertainty. After all, this is Abu Mazen's account in Arabic of what Bush said in English, written down by a note-taker in Arabic, then back into English.

And here's from the Whitehouse:

Q Ari, staying on the Middle East. Prime Minister Abbas today, according to Ha'aretz, told a meeting with Hamas -- he quoted the President and at that point, during that meeting, he suggested that the President conveyed that now is the time to move forward or else I'm going to focus on the election, or the election is coming up shortly. Can you tell me whether or not --

MR. FLEISCHER: Yes, somebody else asked me about that quote. I never heard the President say it. He certainly didn't say it in the trilateral meeting that I attended, and I'm not aware of any other conversation in which he said it.

Q So there is no deadline attached --

MR. FLEISCHER: You're seen the President on this issue. He's focused on it all the time. And he will be focused on it now, he'll be focused on it a year from now, he'll be focused on it two years from now.

Q Part of the same quote, Prime Minister Abbas suggested the President said that God spoke to him about al Qaeda and spoke to him about Saddam. Is that a stretch? Is there anything to that? How would you characterize that part of the --

MR. FLEISCHER: It's beyond a stretch. It's an invention. It was not said.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/07/20030701-6.html#18

Limbaugh's point about morals is a great point. Bush uses his Christian morals as a guide and a factor in determing his actions as President. If those morals are not allowed to be a factor, then which morals should be used? Are liberal Protestant morals acceptable, as opposed to Bush's evangelical morals? What about secularism? Or Islamic morals? Who determines what moral standards may or may not be used as political decision making factors?

Not to mention, it's not like nobody knew Bush was a Christian until after 9/11. In 2000, when asked what philosopher most influenced his life, Bush immediately responded "Jesus Christ." His book, "A Charge to Keep," released in 2000, details his conversion and subsequent religious activities.

Originally posted by Aquarian

I wish he would listen to the people first, and God second.
This is not a theocracy.
Maybe both wanted the same thing, regardless, he should have said "The American people wanted/told me..."

Seperation of church and state!

good point jim, inspired is easier to accept. as a poster elsewhere put it:

When you talk to God, that's prayer.
When you listen for God, that's meditation.
When God talks to you, that's schizophrenia.
- unknown

Originally posted by nycflasher
I wish he would listen to the people first, and God second.
This is not a theocracy.
Maybe both wanted the same thing, regardless, he should have said "The American people wanted/told me..."

Seperation of church and state!

As I recall, the American people were overwhelmingly in favor of striking at al-Qaeda and the Taliban in 2001, and were also mostly in favor of toppling Saddam's regime in 2003. I don't have links to poll numbers, but I remember it pretty clearly - as did the Arabs Bush was talking to. It probably wouldn't have had to be said.

And again, I refer to to my earlier post. Where in the Constitution is it written that a President cannot use his religious beliefs as a guide to executing his duties?
(For that matter - where does it say "separation of church and state" - but that's a different argument altogether.)

Okay, so our President's God tells him to kill, too.
Great.
Evberybody is killing in the name of God.

I wonder what God thinks about that?
I'm going to ask him tonight...

This might be a good time for this link, originally from the onion but they've made it a premium archived article so I found a cached copy:

God angrily clarifies 'don't kill' rule

Please take this in good spirit. It was written as commentary, the ongoing discussion of the original meaning of the text of the ten commandments re kill (general) vs murder (specific) aside...

Article 6:

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.

They knew a Christian was going to go by his faith. It was expected and allowed for. -Like it or not.

Forthe record, I don't know where his faith TRULY stands, none of us can. -But by his own admissions about his faith, regarding islam and terrorism, I don't like him in that office.

Originally posted by gop_jeff
As I recall, the American people were overwhelmingly in favor of striking at al-Qaeda and the Taliban in 2001, and were also mostly in favor of toppling Saddam's regime in 2003. I don't have links to poll numbers, but I remember it pretty clearly - as did the Arabs Bush was talking to. It probably wouldn't have had to be said.

While I would agree with your first statement, I would question the second. I, too, recall the nationwide outrage and anger at the Taliban and the Al-Queda after 9/11. I have no doubt that the greater portion of our populus was in favor of that particular strike.

With regard to Iraq, however, I have a different view. There was, in my opinion, no <b>clear national support</b> for this action. It could be that my recollections are in err, or that since I myself wasn't convinced war in Iraq was necessary that I am not totally unbiased. It could also be the other way around.

There is a big difference in the why we are killing, as opposed to the why they are killing. The name of God has nothing to do with it.

I think Bush is a man of faith, and he isn't afraid to show it. This takes great courage today when mostly everyone is afraid they will be mocked for it.
Kerry is a man of what is popular to whom he is speaking with at the moment, Bush says it to everyone.

I think in todays world you have to be careful of everything you do, cause nothing is ever right.

Tippy,

Gotta agree with most of what you said. In today's world, and especially today's political environment, there is almost never a <b> right </b> move (or a <b> wrong </b> one either, for that matter).

The Democrats are almost never gonna give GWB credit for making good leadership decisions (and I use the word almost just in case there happened to be one particular instance or two that was a possibility). On the other hand, the hard-line Republicans are almost (there's that word again) never gonna find fault. This entire paragraph could be held to a mirror and reversed when the roles are reversed.

Truth be told, today's American politics is viewed by many in the same manner as sporting events are observed. For what seems to me to be way too many citizens, politics is seen as "us against them" when it comes to Democrats and Republicans. What they don't seem to understand, to my way of thinking, it that its really "us against us".

Forum List

Back