*This Women Didn't Deserve This: Gifford*

Looks like the last Representative to die by assassination was Larry McDonald in 1983, preceded by Leo Ryan in 1978. The last Senator to die by assassination was Robert Kennedy in 1968.

As it happens, it appears to have become progressively rarer in our history for Congressmembers to be attacked, rather than more common. And Congressmembers in general are just less popular targets than Presidents, governors, etc.

By the way, on the subject of "how uncivil our political discourse is now compared to times past", it was apparently not uncommon at one time for Congressmembers to actually duel over political disputes. I'd say a little name-calling now is small potatoes.

A "little" name-calling? While it's true that historically, some pretty awful things were said, they stood out as exceptions rather than the rule.

Teddy Roosevelt called William Taft a fathead and puzzlewit.

Harry Truman called Richard Nixon a shifty-eyed goddamned liar.

Gerald Ford remarked frequently that Carter's presidency was a disaster. That sort of comment is commonplace today.

Carter's presidency WAS a disaster. Hell, even the historians say that. That's not an attack. It's just fact.

And no, name-calling in politics is NOT an exception. It has always been the rule. What's an exception is this ridiculous notion today that ideologically-opposed political rivals are supposed to somehow campaign by saying, "My opponent is a wonderful, sterling guy with some fantastic ideas for the future . . . but vote for me anyway".

If you can't deal with competition, I suggest you avoid venues that operate around it. Trying to make political campaigns bland and milquetoast makes about as much sense as trying to creates sports where everyone gets a trophy.

Who's suggesting they should be bland? Reagan and Tip O'Neill disagreed on almost everything 100% of the time, but they never called each other names in public and actually liked each other except for their respective political ideologies. Same with Gingrich and Clinton, who used to have late-night personal phone calls in an attempt to iron out workable differences. The American people take their cues from the way our elected officials behave, admit it or not. And when the media becomes nasty (either side), that only adds fuel to the flames.

Sorry bout that,

The rhetoric of the left in the 60s and 70s involved violence and revolution. At that time, I stated that I thought it was out of control, and wrong. For the last two years, the rhetoric of the right has involved violence and revoltion. I state now that is out of control, and wrong.

For the last two years, the rhetoric on the left has involved how do deliver health care for this nation citizens at a reasonable price, why should we be the only industrial nation is which citizens routinely go bankrupt over medical bills. The rhetoric has been about global warming and the need to address it. About the need to grant oppertunity to all Americans to better their educations.

On the right, the rhetoric has been about succession, Perry, about replacing ballots with bullets, about 'the coming revolution'. Not all the rhetoric, but enough of it that it is what makes the headlines.

Even on this board with see some on the right speak of 'elimination' of liberals. What do you think they mean by that?

1. what a bunch of Horseshit.
2. Who is saying revolution, I need names?
3. Try to stop lying you liar, you lied this whole post, bring some proof next time.:evil:
4. And who says we want to eliminate you, I going to have to have some proof, on that too.:evil:
4. Can't take your word for it, sorry.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Forum List

Back