This Record Setting HS Fullback has ZERO Scholarship Offers

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
Is this a case of reverse discrimination? You know, the idea that only black running backs can be really good, and so any white running back is simply dimissed?

Indiana high school fullback dominating opponents, but doesn't have a scholarship offer

An Indiana high school football player who has torn up the gridiron this season still has no place to play next year.

New Palestine High School junior Charlie Spegal racked up 3,356 rushing yards and scored 70 touchdowns during the 2018 season -- but he's reportedly yet to receive a scholarship offer from any college, let alone a top-tier football program....

The 5-10, 225 lb. fullback for New Palestine, located 15 miles east of Indianapolis, can also run a 4.6-second 40-yard dash, squat 575 pounds and bench press 420 pounds, according to a Bleacher Report profile Monday.

Spegal’s skillset, however, may not be exactly what the average college coach is looking for. Instead of dazzling speed, Spegal has shown the ability to find the smallest hole in an offensive line, power through it and shake off three or four would-be tacklers along the way. He told Bleacher Report he models his game after a former Heisman Trophy nominee.

“I really idolized Adrian Peterson,” Spegal said. “I like how hard it is to bring him down and how easily he breaks a lot of tackles. But yes, I have always enjoyed contact.”

Is this a case of reverse discrimination? You know, the idea that only black running backs can be really good, and so any white running back is simply dimissed?

Indiana high school fullback dominating opponents, but doesn't have a scholarship offer

An Indiana high school football player who has torn up the gridiron this season still has no place to play next year.

New Palestine High School junior Charlie Spegal racked up 3,356 rushing yards and scored 70 touchdowns during the 2018 season -- but he's reportedly yet to receive a scholarship offer from any college, let alone a top-tier football program....

The 5-10, 225 lb. fullback for New Palestine, located 15 miles east of Indianapolis, can also run a 4.6-second 40-yard dash, squat 575 pounds and bench press 420 pounds, according to a Bleacher Report profile Monday.

Spegal’s skillset, however, may not be exactly what the average college coach is looking for. Instead of dazzling speed, Spegal has shown the ability to find the smallest hole in an offensive line, power through it and shake off three or four would-be tacklers along the way. He told Bleacher Report he models his game after a former Heisman Trophy nominee.

“I really idolized Adrian Peterson,” Spegal said. “I like how hard it is to bring him down and how easily he breaks a lot of tackles. But yes, I have always enjoyed contact.”

More a statement on todays college offenses. No full back in the spread. He may want to add some tight end skills.

Based on what evidence? Claiming racial discrimination in this case is just as ridiculous as when racial minorities do it based on pure speculation without any evidence.

Did you even read your own source?

More a statement on todays college offenses. No full back in the spread. He may want to add some tight end skills.

Yeah, I don’t understand the concept of dropping the Fullback position. I remember when the Chargers did it and their rushing yardage dropped to half since then.

Yeah, I don’t understand the concept of dropping the Fullback position. I remember when the Chargers did it and their rushing yardage dropped to half since then.

I beleive in running the football and evidently so do the pro's. The full back is still used in the NFL and at Alabama. We will see where the spread goes but defenses are starting to figure it out. As defenses figure out the spread it will be come less used and the full back will come back. Until then this guy needs to get film out to Alabama and Wisconsin as well as to MAC colleges. His bench press is realy impressive but those squat numbers need to come up. You can be a stud on a not sop well known high school team and get unnoticed. I went to a football school. Would have been good if I played football. I did not I played baseball. No one came knocking at my door till I tossed a one hit shut out against a baseball power house. The phone started ringing then. We did not have the internet and all the film we have today back then. Today you can take video and post or send to coaches.

Based on what evidence? Claiming racial discrimination in this case is just as ridiculous as when racial minorities do it based on pure speculation without any evidence.
The guy is one of the top HS fullbacks and he is getting ZERO attention.

You are saying that makes sense to you?

He looks impressive but he's playing 5A football.
I'd like to see him play against some better talent.
It could be he is too small for college ball, but some teams are in lower class of talent, and still NO ONE has any interest in him?

It could be he is too small for college ball, but some teams are in lower class of talent, and still NO ONE has any interest in him?

You would think some of the lower ranked colleges would show some interest.
Get him into a college program and they could put some more lbs on him easily enough and it is his Junior year,be interesting to see a follow up story after he becomes a senior.

Christian McCaffery was a white running back that received numerous scholarship offers, and was 2nd in the voting for the Heisman his junior year at Stanford. He is also playing in the NFL. Although not a fullback, it seems there are similar skills. If the player has the skills and the grades, he will get a scholarship. Also, 5 schools have shown interest. Ball State, Cinnicinati and Eastern Michigan have invited the young man to see a game.

Fullback is a specific position. And is not used by many teams. That may be limiting him.

College football coaches and recruiters will go after who ever they think can increase their chances of winning. This is not a racial issue.

At least 5 schools have shown interest. Ball State, Cincinnati and Eastern Michigan have invited him to see a game.

Makes me wonder about the academic side to this young man.
You mentioning this reminded me of A.C. Slater from Saved By The Bell. When he only scored a 1,050 on his SAT test, he was still offered a scholarship to the Stansbery college. Jesse scored a 1,205 and she was blown off when the Stansbery representative lady got word of the score.

God bless you always!!!

HOlly

Makes me wonder about the academic side to this young man. Just read the full article. That is interesting.
He has a 3.3 GPA I believe I read. I watched his video he is GOOD! Damn good blocker and runner and receiver. He is a bit short but there are a lot of shorter RB's in the NFL right now. He has good size though. The article I read said he is a RB/FB he doesn't have to be super fast to play at Division 1 level he outruns DB's so.

There was a website I can't remember the name of it that shined a light on white players mostly in the NFL that played positions usually played by blacks and them being discriminated against including Receiver and Running Back and Defensive Back..trying to find it.

Christian McCaffery was a white running back that received numerous scholarship offers, and was 2nd in the voting for the Heisman his junior year at Stanford. He is also playing in the NFL. Although not a fullback, it seems there are similar skills. If the player has the skills and the grades, he will get a scholarship. Also, 5 schools have shown interest. Ball State, Cinnicinati and Eastern Michigan have invited the young man to see a game.

Fullback is a specific position. And is not used by many teams. That may be limiting him.

College football coaches and recruiters will go after who ever they think can increase their chances of winning. This is not a racial issue.

They are saying some MAC schools are interested
Also the service academies
Army and Navy still run that type of offense

Makes me wonder about the academic side to this young man. Just read the full article. That is interesting.
He has a 3.3 GPA I believe I read. I watched his video he is GOOD! Damn good blocker and runner and receiver. He is a bit short but there are a lot of shorter RB's in the NFL right now. He has good size though. The article I read said he is a RB/FB he doesn't have to be super fast to play at Division 1 level he outruns DB's so.
He will get a scholarship somewhere
Just not in a top conference

He is to small, he would get killed I college..

Forum List

Back