This Record Setting HS Fullback has ZERO Scholarship Offers

Is this a case of reverse discrimination? You know, the idea that only black running backs can be really good, and so any white running back is simply dimissed?

Based on what evidence? Claiming racial discrimination in this case is just as ridiculous as when racial minorities do it based on pure speculation without any evidence.
The guy is one of the top HS fullbacks and he is getting ZERO attention.

You are saying that makes sense to you?
Except your own article says that he is not getting 'zero attention'

What your article doesn't say, imply or otherwise suggest is that race has anything to do with it- do you really think that the first thing college coaches ask for is a photo so they can tell whether he is white or black?

The article provides some educated guesses why he doesn't have an offer yet- but also says they probably will be coming.

But some people think everything is about race....

Since today was the first day of the early signing period, I have been watching the recruiting sites.

I started wondering, so I called up the fullbacks in the 2019 class on the 247 recruiting site. There are only 7 listed. But 4 of them are white.

Is this a case of reverse discrimination? You know, the idea that only black running backs can be really good, and so any white running back is simply dimissed?

Indiana high school fullback dominating opponents, but doesn't have a scholarship offer

An Indiana high school football player who has torn up the gridiron this season still has no place to play next year.

New Palestine High School junior Charlie Spegal racked up 3,356 rushing yards and scored 70 touchdowns during the 2018 season -- but he's reportedly yet to receive a scholarship offer from any college, let alone a top-tier football program....

The 5-10, 225 lb. fullback for New Palestine, located 15 miles east of Indianapolis, can also run a 4.6-second 40-yard dash, squat 575 pounds and bench press 420 pounds, according to a Bleacher Report profile Monday.

Spegal’s skillset, however, may not be exactly what the average college coach is looking for. Instead of dazzling speed, Spegal has shown the ability to find the smallest hole in an offensive line, power through it and shake off three or four would-be tacklers along the way. He told Bleacher Report he models his game after a former Heisman Trophy nominee.

“I really idolized Adrian Peterson,” Spegal said. “I like how hard it is to bring him down and how easily he breaks a lot of tackles. But yes, I have always enjoyed contact.”

Christian McCaffery was a white running back that received numerous scholarship offers, and was 2nd in the voting for the Heisman his junior year at Stanford. He is also playing in the NFL. Although not a fullback, it seems there are similar skills. If the player has the skills and the grades, he will get a scholarship. Also, 5 schools have shown interest. Ball State, Cinnicinati and Eastern Michigan have invited the young man to see a game.

Fullback is a specific position. And is not used by many teams. That may be limiting him.

College football coaches and recruiters will go after who ever they think can increase their chances of winning. This is not a racial issue.

They are saying some MAC schools are interested
Also the service academies
Army and Navy still run that type of offense

Not that easy to get appointed to a service academy. He would make an excellent A back in that system. Georgia Tech used that offense but likely not beyond this season because Paul Johnson retired.
Too bad because the triple is ballet.
Most other football is flashy or pedestrian and generally boring.
Most college bird dogs look for pure athletes and put a premium on speed.
You find them often scouting high school track meets.

Indiana high school fullback dominating opponents, but doesn't have a scholarship offer

An Indiana high school football player who has torn up the gridiron this season still has no place to play next year.

New Palestine High School junior Charlie Spegal racked up 3,356 rushing yards and scored 70 touchdowns during the 2018 season -- but he's reportedly yet to receive a scholarship offer from any college, let alone a top-tier football program....

The 5-10, 225 lb. fullback for New Palestine, located 15 miles east of Indianapolis, can also run a 4.6-second 40-yard dash, squat 575 pounds and bench press 420 pounds, according to a Bleacher Report profile Monday.

Spegal’s skillset, however, may not be exactly what the average college coach is looking for. Instead of dazzling speed, Spegal has shown the ability to find the smallest hole in an offensive line, power through it and shake off three or four would-be tacklers along the way. He told Bleacher Report he models his game after a former Heisman Trophy nominee.

“I really idolized Adrian Peterson,” Spegal said. “I like how hard it is to bring him down and how easily he breaks a lot of tackles. But yes, I have always enjoyed contact.”

Christian McCaffery was a white running back that received numerous scholarship offers, and was 2nd in the voting for the Heisman his junior year at Stanford. He is also playing in the NFL. Although not a fullback, it seems there are similar skills. If the player has the skills and the grades, he will get a scholarship. Also, 5 schools have shown interest. Ball State, Cinnicinati and Eastern Michigan have invited the young man to see a game.

Fullback is a specific position. And is not used by many teams. That may be limiting him.

College football coaches and recruiters will go after who ever they think can increase their chances of winning. This is not a racial issue.

Not that easy to get appointed to a service academy. He would make an excellent A back in that system. Georgia Tech used that offense but likely not beyond this season because Paul Johnson retired.

The triple option, when run right, is often effective against teams who have not played against it. And even tough on those who have. It takes a special player to run it right.

The triple option, when run right, is often effective against teams who have not played against it. And even tough on those who have. It takes a special player to run it right.

It takes lots of reps.

Forum List

Back