This Just In: Dede Scozzafava Drops Out

Scozzafava isn't a liberal. The same people claiming Scozzafava is a liberal were not claiming James Tedisco was liberal when he was running in a special election this year in neighboring 20th district. And yet, Tedisco's voting record was far more liberal than Scozzafava's. If the members of the New York State Assembly are arranged from left to right, Scozzafava is in the 83rd percentile (aka, she's more conservative than 83 percent of the New York State Assembly). She's also in the 58th percentile of the Assembly Republicans, meaning she's more conservative than the average member of Republican delegation in Albany. Yes, she's not conservative in the national context (New York, along with a few other New England states and Hawaii have state parties that are, on average, more liberal than the Democrats are in some of the more conservative regions of the country), but she's far from liberal.

For those interested in the numbers: http://bshor.wordpress.com/2009/10/21/scozzafava-is-a-conservative-republican-in-new-york/

Scozzafava isn't a liberal. The same people claiming Scozzafava is a liberal were not claiming James Tedisco was liberal when he was running in a special election this year in neighboring 20th district. And yet, Tedisco's voting record was far more liberal than Scozzafava's. If the members of the New York State Assembly are arranged from left to right, Scozzafava is in the 83rd percentile (aka, she's more conservative than 83 percent of the New York State Assembly). She's also in the 58th percentile of the Assembly Republicans, meaning she's more conservative than the average member of Republican delegation in Albany. Yes, she's not conservative in the national context (New York, along with a few other New England states and Hawaii have state parties that are, on average, more liberal than the Democrats are in some of the more conservative regions of the country), but she's far from liberal.

For those interested in the numbers: Scozzafava is a Conservative Republican (in New York) « Boris Shor, PhD
She supports cap n tax, single payer health care, and tax increases. She's a liberal.

For those interested in the numbers: Scozzafava is a Conservative Republican (in New York) « Boris Shor, PhD
She supports cap n tax, single payer health care, and tax increases. She's a liberal.

yeah, i think your party should be made up of the looniest part of the rabid right....

yeah, i think your party should be made up of the looniest part of the rabid right....

I am a conservative. I support conservatives, not parties. There is nothing loony about that.

Scozzafava opposes cap and trade and supports extending the Bush tax cuts.
Scozzafava Suspends Campaign But Doesn’t Endorse Conservative - Swampland - TIME.com

As a political observer, I find this fascinating.

It will be interesting to see how this race shakes out. The seat has been in Republican hands for nearly 120 years. If the conservatives lose this race, then it could backfire dramatically.

And the conservatives were right. The Republican nominee was a moderate.

It's not quite so clear how Hoffman stands to benefit from this. Although a majority of Scozzafava's supporters are Republican (about 62 percent, by my reckoning), it is safe to assume that they are mostly rather moderate Republicans, because almost all the conservative Republicans had already gone over to Hoffman. To wit, two-thirds of Scozzafava's supporters say they like Barack Obama. While moderate Republicans are an endangered species elsewhere in the country, that is not true in upstate New York, where a lot of voters are registered as Republicans and vote that way in statewide races but often vote Democratic in federal races. (NY-23 supported Barack Obama 52-47 last November.)

The reality is that a lot of Scozzafava's ex-supporters, many of whom don't like either Hoffman or Owens, simply won't vote. And some of them will still wind up casting their ballots for Scozzafava undaunted, as she'll still appear on the ballot and may have made herself something of a sympathetic figure. Certainly, it would seem to help Hoffman if Scozzafava decided to endorse him -- but only 15 percent of Scozzafava's voters had a favorable view of Hoffman, so they aren't going to come over easily, if at all. (EDIT: It's not clear if Scozzafava has in fact endorsed Hoffman, as the reporting is somewhat contradictory on this -- most sources, apart from the AP, say that she's made no endorsement.)

FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right: Scozzafava's Supporters Like Obama, Dislike Hoffman and Owens

She supports cap n tax, single payer health care, and tax increases. She's a liberal

You are not mainstream but a far right wingnut who has nothing of relevance to offer this electoral year.

She supports cap n tax, single payer health care, and tax increases. She's a liberal

You are not mainstream but a far right wingnut who has nothing of relevance to offer this electoral year.

Also, she doesn't support at least two of those three things.

Newt Gingrich simply chose Party over Country in my opinion. This is why more people need to become Independents. I think more & more people are just getting so sick of being told that they have to vote for a candidate simply because they have a (D) or an (R) by their name. This is exactly what the Republican Party tried to do here. "Just vote for the woman even though she doesn't stand for anything you believe in because she has an (R) by her name." It's good to see so many standing up against that lame stuff. It really is time to drive the phony check pant country club types out of the party for good. Newt is a fraud just like Arlen Specter and Lindsey Graham are. The time is now to change things in the Republican Party.

Newt will be proven correct over time.

I love Newt, but he was dead wrong on this call and he probably knows it now. The GOP had better get their stuff together and hold true to the fiscal conservatism priority or else be a party no more. They know it now and cut the legs out from under Deidre.

What works in a 150 year old Republican district against a Democratic unknown is not going to work out in the toss-up, centrist districts that the Republicans need to win, or win back.

Merge-o-rama!

There has been a terrible disturbance in the force at RNC HQ.

After all the tea parties & town halls around this country--one would think that the RNC would get a clue.--:cuckoo:

Do NOT give us moderate or liberal Republicans who think & act like big spending democrats. We're sick of it.

If they don't wise up--we're going to form a conservative 3rd party--that's going to kick some democrats & republicans behinds in the near future.

Newt will be proven correct over time.

I love Newt, but he was dead wrong on this call and he probably knows it now. The GOP had better get their stuff together and hold true to the fiscal conservatism priority or else be a party no more. They know it now and cut the legs out from under Deidre.

What works in a 150 year old Republican district against a Democratic unknown is not going to work out in the toss-up, centrist districts that the Republicans need to win, or win back.

Please tell--which districts are centrist today? I have never seen Americans so ticked off. They're mad as hell over all these government bail-outs & massive government spending bills.

What may have been centrist in 2007--I kind of doubt is today.

In Westchester County, NY, just north of NYC, the liberal Democrat County Executive somehow managed to secure the "Conservative" Party line. It led to a LOT of bad blood and a court fight which the Conservative Party is CHAPPED over. The incumbant liberal Democratic is offically ON the ballot as the Conservative Party candidate. Cheesey bullshit politics.

The Conservative Party chairman was SO pissed off, he actually sent out a mailing asking conservatives to vote for the REPUBLICAN rather than let the incumbant free-spending liberal Democratic to sully the true name of the Conservative Party.

There is an undercurrent in all of this. The liberal Democratics have had a measure of success in the last couple of elections. But the NY State Senate became a national laughingstock when the Democratics in the majority somehow managed to fuck it up and ended up in a stalemate for a few weeks earlier this year. I laughed out loud. I LOVE when my legislators can't do shit.

The CONSERVATIVE 3P candidate in NY's 23rd is now poised to take the House seat.

And it is taking a faux "independent" candidate in stinking New Jersey to give the liberal Democrat Governor (ex-Senator Corzine) a shot at salvaging his gubernatorial seat.

Last edited:
Please tell--which districts are centrist today? I have never seen Americans so ticked off. They're mad as hell over all these government bail-outs & massive government spending bills.

What may have been centrist in 2007--I kind of doubt is today.

Yet, the conservative candidate in a district that has been Republican for over a century is neck and neck with the Democrat.

In Westchester County, jNY, ust north of NYC, the liberal Democrat County Executive somehow managed to secure the "Conservative" Party line. It led to a LOT of bad blood and a court fight which the Conservative Party is CHAPPED over. The incumbant liberal Democratic is offically ON the ballot as the Conservative Party candidate. Cheesey bullshit politics.

The Conservative Party chairman was SO pissed off, he actually sent out a mailing asking conservatives to vote for the REPUBLICAN rather than let the incumbant free-spending liberal Democratic to sully the true name of the Conservative Party.

There is an undercurrent in all of this. The liberal Democratics have had a measure of success in the last couple of elections. But the NY State Senate became a national laughingstock when the Democratics in the majority somehow managed to fuck it up and ended up in a stalemate for a few weeks earlier this year. I laughed out loud. I LOVE when my legislators can't do shit.

The CONSERVATIVE 3P candidate in NY's 23rd is now poised to take the House seat.

And it is taking a faux "independent" candidate in stinking New Jersey to give the liberal Democrat Governor (ex-Senator corzine) a shot at salvaging his gubenatorial seat.
Let me ask you this Liability. Do you think this is a strategy the DNC will do in 2010? I mean to have candidates run under the R or C label?

I find it interesting to see what people say, especially people from places nothing like NY as their info indicates, opining on what the 23rd may or may not want in a candidate. I wonder what the 23rd thinks about all these loony toons from places like Alaska and Minnesota et al, coming in and messing with their race. They may have to take a powder for 2 years if Hoffman wins. I'm sure he won't be able to jack squat in the House because parties do matter and he came in the back door on the coattails of the fringers. They will notice.

Also, she doesn't support at least two of those three things.

She voted to increase taxed numerous times in the NY Assembly. She has publicly stated she is in favor of tax n cap or other means to "stop global warming". She 'changed her mind' only after she realized she was going to lose. As a state assemblywoman she voted for Democratic budgets and a $180 million state bank bailout. She also supported the trillion-dollar federal stimulus package which every House Republican voted against. She's a liberal. Spin away.......

Another surprise in the hotly contested special House election in upstate New York: This morning, the Republican candidate, Dede Scozzafava, suspended her campaign and released her supporters.

She hasn’t endorsed either of her rivals, but told her local paper that a Siena Research Institute poll out today showed her too far behind to be a viable candidate.

GOP Candidate Drops Out in Upstate New York House Race - Washington Wire - WSJ

Is this the Candidate that NEWT supported?

Her dropping out is not sufficient reason to support the GOP. Newt should drown himself.
He is a disgrace.

Forum List

Back