This is us, and it's everybody else too...

America does not guarantee you the right to hold onto everything you value. America gives you the right to live in a country where the majority decides the direction. If the majority holds different values, then your (or my) values may not be reflected. Then your recourse is not violence - it is to do the work that is needed to convince a majority that your values SHOULD be the ones reflected in our nation. The fact that someone finds themself in an ideological minority is not a failure of representative democracy or our system, it is a failure of that ideology and it's proponents to win approval.

Well if only that were true.
The majority are being plagued by a tyranny of progressive policies that only a small percentage support.

That's a common complaint from the ideological minority. It basically says, yeah we didn't have more votes than they did, but ....... (insert preffered rationalization here)

You have about 3 years to convince a majority of voters that this president doesn't reflect their values. I would suggest that simply pretending the statement is already true, is not an efficient use of your time. But that's just mho.
Currently, just 42% support the health care plan proposed by the President and Congressional Democrats. Fifty-four percent (54%) are opposed. Just 31% of voters believe that Congress has a good understanding of the health care proposal.

Daily Presidential Tracking Poll - Rasmussen Reports™

In all due respect I didn't ask for a critique of the speech. I asked what the public reaction would likely be to the speech.
And I gave you mine. I cannot speak with any real authority for anyone else, but if so many people would welcome that speech - why wasn't someone who represented those values elected in the first place?

Until the Constitution is changed, being American is a guarantee of certain fundamental rights that are inviolate no matter how large a majority would presume to deny me those.
A large enough majority can re-write the entire Constitution.

I referred to convictions that you or I hold strongly. If it is a strongly held conviction, and you have no reason to believe it is held imprudently, what criteria would be necessary for you to agree to compromise it?

Fair enough. I'll give it a shot. In order to make me change my mind about a "conviction" it would probably take a little bit more evidence, logical and "convincing" than it took me to form the conviction in the first place (inertia). That's it. There are some convictions that I hold that I seriously doubt I will ever change.
Now, in order to participate in setting a public policy that does not reflect my own deeply held conviction - I may not be able to participate in that at all. I may simply vote no or I may work hard to convince others to share my conviction. And if I lose, I'll just have to work harder and change people's minds.

I'm not sure this answers your question - but I tried as best I could. Maybe I misunderstood something?

Last edited:
The majority are being plagued by a tyranny of progressive policies that only a small percentage support.

That's a common complaint from the ideological minority. It basically says, yeah we didn't have more votes than they did, but ....... (insert preffered rationalization here)

You have about 3 years to convince a majority of voters that this president doesn't reflect their values. I would suggest that simply pretending the statement is already true, is not an efficient use of your time. But that's just mho.
Currently, just 42% support the health care plan proposed by the President and Congressional Democrats. Fifty-four percent (54%) are opposed. Just 31% of voters believe that Congress has a good understanding of the health care proposal.

I can quote you a poll that says 57% support it. (and then we could engage in the circular pursuit of discrediting the other's poll ad naseum - but to what practical end?)

The "poll" that was taken Nov. 4, 2008 is the one that counts.

Last edited:
In all due respect I didn't ask for a critique of the speech. I asked what the public reaction would likely be to the speech.
And I gave you mine. I cannot speak with any real authority for anyone else, but if so many people would welcome that speech - why wasn't someone who represented those values elected in the first place?

Someone who said he represented most of those values WAS elected. But that isn't what we got.

Until the Constitution is changed, being American is a guarantee of certain fundamental rights that are inviolate no matter how large a majority would presume to deny me those.
A large enough majority can re-write the entire Constitution.

Yes it can. But do you hold so little conviction about the fundamental rights guaranteed by the Constitution that you would not resist that majority in every way that you could? How many of your rights would you willingly and without resistance give up just because you were outvoted?

I referred to convictions that you or I hold strongly. If it is a strongly held conviction, and you have no reason to believe it is held imprudently, what criteria would be necessary for you to agree to compromise it?

Fair enough. I'll give it a shot. In order to make me change my mind about a "conviction" it would probably take a little bit more evidence, logical and "convincing" than it took me to form the conviction in the first place (inertia). That's it. There are some convictions that I hold that I seriously doubt I will ever change.

I suspect that all of us hold some convictions that we would not change without a fight. So the follow up question is, how much of a fight are we willing to put up to defend or protect those convictions/principles that we most value?

Now, in order to participate in setting a public policy that does not reflect my own deeply held conviction - I may not be able to participate in that at all. I may simply vote no or I may work hard to convince others to share my conviction. And if I lose, I'll just have to work harder and change people's minds.

I'm not sure this answers your question - but I tried as best I could. Maybe I misunderstood something?

We all ultimately pick and choose the hills we are willing to stand on and fight to defend.

I can quote you a poll that says 57% support it. (and then we could engage in the circular pursuit of discrediting the other's poll ad naseum - but to what practical end?)

A real poll? that has 57 % support? what an SEIU poll .
I doubt it.
The point being you are wrong..
Mob rules is not how America is supposed to work no matter who is currently governing.

Power is held by the people true enough. Currently the government is bent on wrestling that power from us. Dicating a health care system, ignoring illegal immigration, increasing the differences in economic classes, cutting off public debate and many other issues.

Leadership changes don't seem to make a difference. The Constitutional framers were not without understanding that enemies domestic might result in a need for arms to be raised. Politicans need to understand pacification, retaliation, and propagandization are not the tools of the Republic.

I think what you are overlooking is that a majority of Americans elected this government and healthcare reform was part of their platform - people knew it and they elected them. Voters have elected "changes in direction" many times before. If they don't like the direction, then the system provides a peaceful way to change it back if they so choose.

We had very devisive elections in 1960 and in 2000 and yet the transition was peaceful and smooth (in spite of all the yelling and screaming - there was no bloodshed) We might have our differences but we respect the rule of law. That sets us apart from many other nations - and imho in a very good way.

Violence is NOT a substitute for getting the votes you need.

The rule of law is a two-tiered system at best.
Violence is a substitute for votes. Fortunately one that is not necessary at this point in time. If we continue down our present path of listing enemies of the President, runaway spending and reduced liberties, there may be no alternative.

Someone who said he represented most of those values WAS elected. But that isn't what we got.

So the preffered rationalization here is "he's not doing what he said he would." To which I would respond that anyone who was paying attention at all during the election is getting exactly what they expected.

But do you hold so little conviction about the fundamental rights guaranteed by the Constitution that you would not resist that majority in every way that you could? How many of your rights would you willingly and without resistance give up just because you were outvoted?

I wouldn't take up arms in an attempt to reverse an election I disagreed with. I respect our system and our rule of law. I give that conviction one of my highest priorities (behind my God and my family).
And yes, I agree 100%, we all pick the hills we are willing to die defending.

Last edited:

I doubt it.
Mob rules is not how America is supposed to work no matter who is currently governing.

WashintonPost/ABC News poll
UPDATE: Public Insurance Option Gains Ground In New Poll - WSJ.com

Majority rules IS how the United States of America is supposed to work and how it was designed to work. I understand that finding yourself in the ideological minority is frustrating to you, but violence is not a substitute for votes. Not in the United States anyway.

Last edited:
Power is held by the people true enough. Currently the government is bent on wrestling that power from us. Dicating a health care system, ignoring illegal immigration, increasing the differences in economic classes, cutting off public debate and many other issues.

Leadership changes don't seem to make a difference. The Constitutional framers were not without understanding that enemies domestic might result in a need for arms to be raised. Politicans need to understand pacification, retaliation, and propagandization are not the tools of the Republic.

I think what you are overlooking is that a majority of Americans elected this government and healthcare reform was part of their platform - people knew it and they elected them. Voters have elected "changes in direction" many times before. If they don't like the direction, then the system provides a peaceful way to change it back if they so choose.

We had very devisive elections in 1960 and in 2000 and yet the transition was peaceful and smooth (in spite of all the yelling and screaming - there was no bloodshed) We might have our differences but we respect the rule of law. That sets us apart from many other nations - and imho in a very good way.

Violence is a substitute for votes. Fortunately one that is not necessary at this point in time. If we continue down our present path of listing enemies of the President, runaway spending and reduced liberties, there may be no alternative.

Regardless of the issues we agree on or disagree on saveliberty, I'd have no choice. If you take up arms against my country, sorry, but I'll be one of the guys shooting back at you.

If you notice, I used words like if and may, so I don't expect it to happen. If it did come to civil war, you'd shoot Glenn Beck before me anyway.

I doubt it.

WashintonPost/ABC News poll
UPDATE: Public Insurance Option Gains Ground In New Poll - WSJ.com

Majority rules IS how the United States of America is supposed to work and how it was designed to work. I understand that finding yourself in the ideological minority is frustrating to you, but violence is not a substitute for votes. Not in the United States anyway.

If 57 % of the people were really for a UHC bill we would be in very bad trouble.
So there is no assault on freedom from the government on the people that would cause you to take up arms against the government?
You are docile indeed.

So there is no assault on freedom from the government on the people that would cause you to take up arms against the government?

Hard to make an absolute blanket statement like that. But I cannot conceive of anything that would prompt me to take up arms against my country. Try me - see if you can come up with something outlandish enough.

Indeed, the flip-flop syndrome can be suicide in this day and age of instant reporting from the blogosphere, which often gets distorted before all the facts are in. By then, the reason therefor is usually too late.

The radical extreme left would almost certainly go ballistic, but what would the public reaction be if President Obama went on television tonight with this statement:

"My Fellow Americans: After spending a great deal of time in meditation, reflection, and soul searching, I have come to realize that I have been wrong. I have listened to the wrong advisors and ignored wisdom and counsel from true experts. America is the best country in the world and I will no longer apologize for who we are even as I pledge to help us make us better. The government is too big, too expensive, and we have too many issues on the table that are not in the long range interests of the people. I am as committed to health care reform and environmental concerns as ever but I now believe the current legislation is wrong for America. I am asking my administration and Congress to stop now, and start over. And let's get it right so that future generations will benefit and not suffer from our decisions today. I am as committed as ever to peaceful solutions to all problems, but the USA will not be compromising on anything that will weaken our ability to defend ourselves no matter what happens. I am as committed as ever to fiscal responsibility and I see now that what we're doing is not working. We are rolling back all uncommitted and unspent portions of the stimulus bill and will be looking for ways to cut expenses at all levels of government while providing encouragement to recovery in the private sector. I have been wrong. I will now be trying my very best to get it right."

He's already said some of those things, and he's already said (months ago) that if health care reform doesn't happen, it won't be for wont of trying harder than any other administration. It's true that only 40% of the stimulus money has been spent, and I wonder if there isn't a reason for that. It would have been much much worse if all of it had been doled out willy nilly, first-come-first-served, because it would ALL be gone by now and little to show for it. So who knows? Maybe the balance will be held in some sort of contingency fund.

But don't look for Obama (or any other president) to come right out and say "I have been wrong." While that may be true, his opponents would ignore the context and have a field day with that single sentence. You know it and I know it.

FoxFyre said:
Until the Constitution is changed, being American is a guarantee of certain fundamental rights that are inviolate no matter how large a majority would presume to deny me those. One of those rights is the pursuit of (my) happiness so long as the rights of others are not violated and the right to express my opinions so long as the rights of others are not violated.

That swings both ways. Speaking strictly of health care, many Americans believe they have as much right to decent health care for their families as you do, and without having to go bankrupt to obtain it. No, it won't be found in the Constitution, but I don't think the framers ever dreamed that this would ever be an issue.

America does not guarantee you the right to hold onto everything you value. America gives you the right to live in a country where the majority decides the direction. If the majority holds different values, then your (or my) values may not be reflected. Then your recourse is not violence - it is to do the work that is needed to convince a majority that your values SHOULD be the ones reflected in our nation. The fact that someone finds themself in an ideological minority is not a failure of representative democracy or our system, it is a failure of that ideology and it's proponents to win approval.

That is so not true. The top three national priorities today are domestic issues. Asked the question even two years ago, and we would have seen Iraq, War on Terror, and maybe the economy as #3. The only difference is how to pay for all the problems affecting us at the social level, but the "progressive" priorities are the same.

Problems and Priorities

The number for all the other polls has never been that low. Only Rasmussen (the GOP's polling place) consistently shows numbers off from all the other major polling institutions.

Read through ALL the questions here, and you'll see how wrong Rasmussen is:
Health Policy

It makes me sad and mad to see how many people have bought into the constant fearmongering propaganda. This country has been through its share of really tough times, and the fixes didn't please everybody for sure. But we're resilient, and we're not savages, and we WILL get through these tough times too without taking up arms against each other.

Just because the latest rumor is that the White House has concocted some "enemies list," doesn't mean it's true, for God's sake. What do you think they intend to do? Blow up Roger Ailes' office complex and Rush Limbaugh's castle in Palm Beach? For one thing, I can't see any of them wasting time preparing a stupid list. Hell if they want a list of those in the press that they should smack down as pure troublemakers, they could give me a call.

Hard to make an absolute blanket statement like that. But I cannot conceive of anything that would prompt me to take up arms against my country. Try me - see if you can come up with something outlandish enough.

The Obama Administration has Suspended The Constitution, is Bring in Canadian Military under Contract to Quell Rioting and Looting, Mandatory Curfews are in Effect, and Eminent domain has been declared in Georgia, It's residents will be marched on foot to Oklahoma where they will be re assimilated on Reservations. 10 Acre parcels in Georgia will be traded to Chinese National's, to compensate for debt interest, because The Chinese have grown fond of Peanut Butter and Peaches. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Would that do it ????? :):):):):) P.S. The cost of the move is not Tax Deductible! ???

Forum List

Back