This is the bullshit that passes for front page news now

Voltaire

Libertarian Party
Jul 14, 2008
Virginia
From the front page of MSNBC
No joke! The workplace needs a laugh - Careers - MSNBC.com

This article claims that, in these trying times, where people are at near constant risk of losing their jobs, laughter truly is the best medicine.

Tough economic times and the perpetual threat of layoffs are gnawing away at our collective funny bone. That on top of years of ballooning political correctness in workplaces have clamped down on laughter.

And that’s bad news for productivity, creativity and the general well-being of workers, say HR and humor experts.

“It’s a natural tendency for some folks to tighten up during tough times, but we need to lighten up,” warns Joel Goodman, founder of The Humor Project Inc.

The above quote doesn't really do justice to the ridiculous tone of the article.

Now, I'm all for a good laugh, but wouldn't the best cure for "depression" felt during the current economic woes be for people to educate themselves about the United States monetary policy, the missteps behind the credit crunch, and the reasons why energy independence is important to the economy?

Thanks again MSM, for another great big dose of failure. The person who posted the youtube video of Jon Stewart on crossfire the other day, well, that person was right on: God help us if people are going to the big networks to get their information. The media is hurting us.

From the front page of MSNBC
No joke! The workplace needs a laugh - Careers - MSNBC.com

This article claims that, in these trying times, where people are at near constant risk of losing their jobs, laughter truly is the best medicine.

The above quote doesn't really do justice to the ridiculous tone of the article.

Now, I'm all for a good laugh, but wouldn't the best cure for "depression" felt during the current economic woes be for people to educate themselves about the United States monetary policy, the missteps behind the credit crunch, and the reasons why energy independence is important to the economy?

Thanks again MSM, for another great big dose of failure. The person who posted the youtube video of Jon Stewart on crossfire the other day, well, that person was right on: God help us if people are going to the big networks to get their information. The media is hurting us.

Anything to distract.

I'm not sure exactly when people are going to realize the MSM doesn't work for us, but I sure do hope it's sooner rather than later.

Oh, they'll bring on a person or two every now and then, such as Peter Schiff, and let him speak sense. But of course there's always two or three other bobbleheads there to LAUGH at him, even though he's been one of only a few people to have been RIGHT about all of this.

Schiff predicted the housing crisis back when just about everyone else was praising the market, and calling for only a slight drawback in house values as late as 2006. I mean, in 2006, the writing was on the wall. But of course the MSM did their usual, and kept the public in the dark while they laughed at the guy who was RIGHT.

Do you think they'd have him on and praise him for his intuitiveness? Nope. They still bring him on and laugh at him, while he CONTINUES to be right.

It was one of many stories on the front page.

Perhaps a few people need to read the article and take its advice.

:eusa_whistle:

It was one of many stories on the front page.

Perhaps a few people need to read the article and take its advice.

:eusa_whistle:

Laughter is great, Rav. But it should not be touted as a saving grace in lieu of educating yourself about today's issues.

Laughter is great, Rav. But it should not be touted as a saving grace in lieu of educating yourself about today's issues.

That isn't remotely what they are suggesting. They are suggesting good humor at work is good for productivity.

Nothing in there suggests that people shouldn't educate themselves about today's issues.

That isn't remotely what they are suggesting. They are suggesting good humor at work is good for productivity.

Nothing in there suggests that people shouldn't educate themselves about today's issues.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying we don't need the MSM to tell us to have a laugh. Perhaps many people's current situations just leave no room for a good bellow. The point is, the MSM ought to be doing a better job of educating the public, or encouraging them to educate themselves, instead of distracting them.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying we don't need the MSM to tell us to have a laugh. Perhaps many people's current situations just leave no room for a good bellow. The point is, the MSM ought to be doing a better job of educating the public, or encouraging them to educate themselves, instead of distracting them.

Here's the link to the actual front page of MSNBC. As you can see, the top story at the moment is how hard the economy is hitting the elderly.

Breaking News, Weather, Business, Health, Entertainment, Sports, Politics, Travel, Science, Technology, Local, US & World News - msnbc.com- MSNBC.com

It's sometimes useful for the media to remind us of what we've forgotten...that life doesn't have to be grim. If it was nothing but non-stop joking around and "printing" fluff pieces, I'd agree with you. But it is far from that.

Here's the link to the actual front page of MSNBC. As you can see, the top story at the moment is how hard the economy is hitting the elderly.

Breaking News, Weather, Business, Health, Entertainment, Sports, Politics, Travel, Science, Technology, Local, US & World News - msnbc.com- MSNBC.com

It's sometimes useful for the media to remind us of what we've forgotten...that life doesn't have to be grim. If it was nothing but non-stop joking around and "printing" fluff pieces, I'd agree with you. But it is far from that.

Do we really need an article telling us how hard the economy is hitting ANYBODY?

Do we really need an article telling us how hard the economy is hitting ANYBODY?

A civil engineer, a chemist and an economist are traveling in the countryside. Weary, they stop at a small country inn. "I only have two rooms, so one of you will have to sleep in the barn," the innkeeper says. The civil engineer volunteers to sleep in the barn, goes outside, and the others go to bed. In a short time they're awakened by a knock. It's the engineer, who says, "There's a cow in that barn. I'm a Hindu, and it would offend my beliefs to sleep next to a sacred animal." The chemist says that, OK, he'll sleep in the barn. The others go back to bed, but soon are awakened by another knock. It's the chemist who says, "There's a pig in that barn. I'm Jewish, and cannot sleep next to an unclean animal." So the economist is sent to the barn. It's getting late, the others are very tired and soon fall asleep, Bu they're awakened by an even louder knocking. They open the door and are surprised by what they see: It's the cow and the pig!

I'll try to laugh myself warm this winter when I set my thermostat to 45 in the hopes that I can afford to keep the pipes from freezing this winter.

I'll try to laugh when I send out hundreds of resumes and hear from only 5-10 % of them.

The truly best medicine for most people is a healthy economy.

Laughter is at best the over-the-counter medicine that most of us can afford.

Forum List

Back