2009 Budget deficit to be largest ever

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Charles_Main, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    Bush administration projects record 2009 deficit - Yahoo! News

Nearly a half of a trillion Dollars :mad:

The 75 Billion dollar increase over previous predictions is do largely to the bi-partisan stimulas package, but of course Bush holds much of the blaim for the rest of it. Earlyer this year a 300 Billion dollar suplemental bill was passed by Congress as well. I am not even sure if that figure is included in this. I sure as hell hope so.

We simply must make ending this trend our main goal. No matter who is president, I call on them to make balancing the budget a main goal of their administration!!!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  2. ReillyT

ReillyT Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Oh sure. It sounds bad now, but just wait for the Bush tax cuts to start paying for themselves.

3. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    LOL!!!

How could anyone have been dumb enough to believe that sh*t?

4. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    I Think he was being sarcastic, Those tax cuts, have had all the effect they are going to have. I do believe with out them it would be even worse, but I really do not see any more economic growth coming out of them, what growth they did cause was very hard to see because all it really did was slow the down turn. However I do believe If Obama lets them expire, it will hurt the economy even more than it is hurting now.

we are clearly in a dire situation.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  5. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618

If irony could kill.

Oh wait!..it can.

6. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    The economy will see some recovery assuming the price of oil goes down and nothing bad happens to make it go south again, I think.

Of course the damage already done to a hundred million or so American home economies isn't going to go away anytime soon.

7. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,993
    Hate to correct you BUT Bush has almost nothing to do with the Budget. All he can do is sign it or veto it and hope Congress can't over ride the Veto.

Congress creates and passes the Budget for the President to sign or Veto. In fact the Budget request the President makes is not even a bill, It still takes a member of Congress in both houses to create a bill and have it run through the process.

Now lets check shall we? Who Controls Congress? Who Controls the Committees that have to approve the Bills? Who Controls the strings that determine if a Bill will even get to committee? Why LOOK, it is the Democrats.
    I swear most of you have NO IDEA how our Government works.

If the Budget is half a trillion over income, it is because the DEMOCRATS approved the BILLS for said Budget.

8. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    There is blame to go around of course. I am well aware that Congress holds the purse strings, but we can not ignore the costs of the war in Iraq bud.

Bush could have vetoed some of those bills, if he was a fisical conservative he would have. Hell he just signed a 300 billion dollar bail out bill which he had early said he would veto. NO BACK BONE. He shares the blame and I will not let my conservative partisanship blind me to that fact.

9. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,993
    No you stated he "holds MUCH of the blame". That is simply not true. He is a lame Duck president in the election year to replace him with a Congress full of democrats and Republicans cow towing to the masses. He knows he can not veto everything because he would lose.

I do not even think it is 50 50. The Democrats and the cowardly Republicans voting with them are to blame for most of the coming deficit.

10. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    Sorry I simply can not agree. Bush has only used his veto powers 12 times. That is the least amount of times Since Harding. He could fight then on spending if he wanted to.