This is how lame the members of Congress are

CNN just aired live coverage of Congress holding a 9/11 commemorative ceremony on the steps of the Capitol. To conclude the ceremony, Spkr. Ryan asked the members to join in singing God Bless America. The music began, the lead singer sang. Was it apparent that there were several hundred other humans actually present and singing? Not at all! Their lips were moving. I could see that on the video, but at best they were just lipsynching! Not even singing in sotto voce!

How does one have an assemblage of over 20 people who are supposedly singing and only one person's voice is audible? How lame is that? Especially seeing as it's the literally flag wearing, often Bible thumping, members of Congress who've been asked to sing God Bless America to commemorate the pain and loss of the most calamitous attack on American soil in over a century?

I mean really. Come the "F" on! At a sporting event, even I -- a non "flag waving," non-singer -- will sing loudly enough to be heard by the other folks around me. I may "drop out" on the high notes, but I'm at least singing along. Let's be real, nobody has to even be a good singer to sing along in a group that large; one need only be heard. Just how spineless must one be to not sing in a huge group of people who are singing? I mean that question seriously. It's not as though a choir of voices ever doesn't sound decent and moving, even if the individuals singing in it aren't all technically excellent.

Could easily be nothing more than a technological issue. Mic picked up the singer, nobody else was audible on the sound system. Modern audio technology is quite good at eliminating background sounds. Just look at bluetooth headsets.

But your original gripe here, that Congress as currently constituted, is pretty worthless, is probably true to a certain extent, no matter their musical repertoire.

Well, in fairness, my gripe is about the way the individuals in Congress are full of gratuitous patriotic bluster and rhetoric, yet when given the most innocuous opportunity to of displaying a tiny bit of genuine patriotism, and in a situation when doing so is entirely called for, the lousy bastards are curiously quiescent. The one time anyone could raise their voice, be heard and seen being patriotic, and do so without attracting one bit of criticism, they don't.

What does that say about them to me? It says they are only patriotic enough to "wrap themselves in the flag" when it suits a political objective. Well, how dare they challenge anyone else's patriotism, anyone else's concern for the wellbeing of the nation. Want to make America great again, put new individuals in Congress, people who are patriotic at times other than when there's political gain for being so.
Who is challenging anyone else's patriotism or concern for the wellbeing of the nation? Are they picking on Hillary again?

CNN just aired live coverage of Congress holding a 9/11 commemorative ceremony on the steps of the Capitol. To conclude the ceremony, Spkr. Ryan asked the members to join in singing God Bless America. The music began, the lead singer sang. Was it apparent that there were several hundred other humans actually present and singing? Not at all! Their lips were moving. I could see that on the video, but at best they were just lipsynching! Not even singing in sotto voce!

How does one have an assemblage of over 20 people who are supposedly singing and only one person's voice is audible? How lame is that? Especially seeing as it's the literally flag wearing, often Bible thumping, members of Congress who've been asked to sing God Bless America to commemorate the pain and loss of the most calamitous attack on American soil in over a century?

I mean really. Come the "F" on! At a sporting event, even I -- a non "flag waving," non-singer -- will sing loudly enough to be heard by the other folks around me. I may "drop out" on the high notes, but I'm at least singing along. Let's be real, nobody has to even be a good singer to sing along in a group that large; one need only be heard. Just how spineless must one be to not sing in a huge group of people who are singing? I mean that question seriously. It's not as though a choir of voices ever doesn't sound decent and moving, even if the individuals singing in it aren't all technically excellent.

Could easily be nothing more than a technological issue. Mic picked up the singer, nobody else was audible on the sound system. Modern audio technology is quite good at eliminating background sounds. Just look at bluetooth headsets.
I get frustrated with the press conferences lately, for that reason--the mic doesn't pick up the journalists' questions, so you have to guess from the answer what the question was.

I guess the churches you go to don't have choirs that sing along with a lead singer who does have a microphone. Even so, take a look at the photo below and tell me how it could possibly be that all those people were lifting their voices and singing and could not be heard. With that many people actually singing, one could have heard them from from across the street -- microphone and speakers or not -- at the Library of Congress, Supreme Court, or Senate/House Office Buildings. One may not have heard them well or clearly, but one would know they were there making some noise.

09.13.11news-laslo-congress-911-edit.jpg

You can watch the video for yourself here: House Members Hold 911 Remembrance Ceremony | Video | C-SPAN.org. Hell, I can hear the members talking at the end of the ceremony more certainly than I could hear them singing God Bless America when they were supposed to be singing it.

A chorus/choir of people singing does not need a microphone to at least be heard.

Last edited:

I get frustrated with the press conferences lately, for that reason--the mic doesn't pick up the journalists' questions, so you have to guess from the answer what the question was.

Now that I can relate to. It's one person who wasn't "well mic'd," so they were not heard. It was some 400+ people who were supposed to have been singing. LOL

I guess the churches you go to don't have choirs that sing along with a lead singer who does have a microphone. Even so, take a look at the photo below and tell me how it could possibly be that all those people were lifting their voices and singing and could not be heard. With that many people actually singing, one could have heard them from from across the street -- microphone and speakers or not -- at the Library of Congress, Supreme Court, or Senate/House Office Buildings. One may not have heard them well or clearly, but one would know they were there making some noise.

You can watch the video for yourself here: House Members Hold 911 Remembrance Ceremony | Video | C-SPAN.org. Hell, I can hear the members talking at the end of the ceremony more certainly than I could hear them singing God Bless America when they were supposed to be singing it.

A chorus/choir of people singing does not need a microphone to at least be heard.

Don't get your panties up in a bunch. I was just offering a hypothesis. All audio equipment is not created equal, you know. Nor are the acoustics to all situations.

During a large family gathering while we were singing Christmas carols, an aunt kindly patted me on the back and whispered, "It's alright Dear, you don't really HAVE to sing."
Can't carry a tune in a bucket, and apparently it was a bit painful. LOL
As for those guys in Congress, maybe they forgot the words?
how many people actually know the words?...
Lessee,
God Bless America, land that I love.
Stand beside us and guide us through the (something) of the (something) (from?) above.
From the mountains, to the prairies, to the oceans white with foam,
God Bless America, my home sweet home.

That's all I remember.
I won't look it up, in case anyone else wants to try.

I think it's, through the night with a light from above.

But your original gripe here, that Congress as currently constituted, is pretty worthless, is probably true to a certain extent, no matter their musical repertoire.

Well, in fairness, my gripe is about the way the individuals in Congress are full of gratuitous patriotic bluster and rhetoric, yet when given the most innocuous opportunity to of displaying a tiny bit of genuine patriotism, and in a situation when doing so is entirely called for, the lousy bastards are curiously quiescent. The one time anyone could raise their voice, be heard and seen being patriotic, and do so without attracting one bit of criticism, they don't.

What does that say about them to me? It says they are only patriotic enough to "wrap themselves in the flag" when it suits a political objective. Well, how dare they challenge anyone else's patriotism, anyone else's concern for the wellbeing of the nation. Want to make America great again, put new individuals in Congress, people who are patriotic at times other than when there's political gain for being so.
Who is challenging anyone else's patriotism or concern for the wellbeing of the nation? Are they picking on Hillary again?

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
-- Samuel Johnson​

Seems to me "let's make America great again" tacitly challenges the patriotism (among other things) of everyone who thinks it great now.

Seems to me "let's make America great again" tacitly challenges the patriotism (among other things) of everyone who thinks it great now.

I suppose you could interpret it that way. But it's really just a cheap sales tactic. You use a compound question on an subject that elicits positive emotions, so that you can imply solutions to problems even if such problems don't actually exist. Then, imply (without promising) that your solutions could yield even greater results. For example:

Do you want to make enough money to give your family the life they deserve? Join us this weekend for our free seminar on how you can learn to use the same business secrets Donald Trump has used to become a billionaire!

Trump doesn't give a shit about patriotism, he just wants you to sign up for his program and fork over your life savings.

Don't get your panties up in a bunch. I was just offering a hypothesis. All audio equipment is not created equal, you know. Nor are the acoustics to all situations.

Yes, I know you were just offering a hypothesis. I appreciate the effort. It's just that it's an implausible theory. 400+ people singing don't need acoustics to be heard by the very same microphone the lead singer is using, that is, of course, if they are actually singing.

During a large family gathering while we were singing Christmas carols, an aunt kindly patted me on the back and whispered, "It's alright Dear, you don't really HAVE to sing."

If an aunt said that to me I'd say back politely "neither do you Betty Batface". And then I'd hear "why did you call her Batface?" from everyone else at the Christmas gathering.

And I would say "look at her face, doesn't it look like she just flew out of a cave after hanging there upside down all night?"

And then I'd have another Schnapps and sing more carols.

About the derps in Congress, they aren't actually fully living people. They are like entitites that float around in human society and they appear real but their souls died long ago. They have no music in them.

If an aunt said that to me I'd say back politely "neither do you Betty Batface". And then I'd hear "why did you call her Batface?" from everyone else at the Christmas gathering.

And I would say "look at her face, doesn't it look like she just flew out of a cave after hanging there upside down all night?"

About the derps in Congress, they aren't actually fully living people. They are like entitites that float around in human society and they appear real but their souls died long ago. They have no music in them.
Your family gatherings sound much more interesting than mine, Isaac! Maybe it's the Schnapps.
I will give these poor, misunderstood wraith people we call Congressmen one more excuse:
Maybe they were standing and saluting to show their respect but THEY WEREN'T SUPPOSED TO SING. ? Or didn't get the memo?

Your family gatherings sound much more interesting than mine, Isaac! Maybe it's the Schnapps.
I will give these poor, misunderstood wraith people we call Congressmen one more excuse:
Maybe they were standing and saluting to show their respect but THEY WEREN'T SUPPOSED TO SING. ? Or didn't get the memo?

A tribute to 9/11 on the steps, everyone sings! Except the ghouls and vampires standing there. They're just mysts in this world and their voices do not carry through to the world of the living. They have an 18% approval rating and 18% voice isn't loud enough to pierce the dark void.

....Or the part where Paul Ryan bid them all to join in singing God Bless America....LOL

Okey doke, guys. I'll be happy to vote mine out, if I can figure out who it is.....

Forum List

Back