This is how lame the members of Congress are

320 Years of History

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2015
Washington, D.C.
CNN just aired live coverage of Congress holding a 9/11 commemorative ceremony on the steps of the Capitol. To conclude the ceremony, Spkr. Ryan asked the members to join in singing God Bless America. The music began, the lead singer sang. Was it apparent that there were several hundred other humans actually present and singing? Not at all! Their lips were moving. I could see that on the video, but at best they were just lipsynching! Not even singing in sotto voce!

How does one have an assemblage of over 20 people who are supposedly singing and only one person's voice is audible? How lame is that? Especially seeing as it's the literally flag wearing, often Bible thumping, members of Congress who've been asked to sing God Bless America to commemorate the pain and loss of the most calamitous attack on American soil in over a century?

I mean really. Come the "F" on! At a sporting event, even I -- a non "flag waving," non-singer -- will sing loudly enough to be heard by the other folks around me. I may "drop out" on the high notes, but I'm at least singing along. Let's be real, nobody has to even be a good singer to sing along in a group that large; one need only be heard. Just how spineless must one be to not sing in a huge group of people who are singing? I mean that question seriously. It's not as though a choir of voices ever doesn't sound decent and moving, even if the individuals singing in it aren't all technically excellent.

"congress is upsetting"
So says 89% of America that keep voting the same fools in

CNN just aired live coverage of Congress holding a 9/11 commemorative ceremony on the steps of the Capitol. To conclude the ceremony, Spkr. Ryan asked the members to join in singing God Bless America. The music began, the lead singer sang. Was it apparent that there were several hundred other humans actually present and singing? Not at all! Their lips were moving. I could see that on the video, but at best they were just lipsynching! Not even singing in sotto voce!

How does one have an assemblage of over 20 people who are supposedly singing and only one person's voice is audible? How lame is that? Especially seeing as it's the literally flag wearing, often Bible thumping, members of Congress who've been asked to sing God Bless America to commemorate the pain and loss of the most calamitous attack on American soil in over a century?

I mean really. Come the "F" on! At a sporting event, even I -- a non "flag waving," non-singer -- will sing loudly enough to be heard by the other folks around me. I may "drop out" on the high notes, but I'm at least singing along. Let's be real, nobody has to even be a good singer to sing along in a group that large; one need only be heard. Just how spineless must one be to not sing in a huge group of people who are singing? I mean that question seriously. It's not as though a choir of voices ever doesn't sound decent and moving, even if the individuals singing in it aren't all technically excellent.
During a large family gathering while we were singing Christmas carols, an aunt kindly patted me on the back and whispered, "It's alright Dear, you don't really HAVE to sing."
Can't carry a tune in a bucket, and apparently it was a bit painful. LOL
As for those guys in Congress, maybe they forgot the words?

During a large family gathering while we were singing Christmas carols, an aunt kindly patted me on the back and whispered, "It's alright Dear, you don't really HAVE to sing."
how many people actually know the words?...

Lessee,
God Bless America, land that I love.
Stand beside us and guide us through the (something) of the (something) (from?) above.
From the mountains, to the prairies, to the oceans white with foam,
God Bless America, my home sweet home.

That's all I remember.
I won't look it up, in case anyone else wants to try.

Forgot the words? I guess I just figured the song is familiar enough that with a song leader there and leading the pace, the words would "come back" in much the same way riding a bike does. I don't remember all the words to "Alouette," but with someone leading the song, I could at the very least chime in and be heard for the chorus, perhaps part of it, or something on that order...That's about as much as it would have taken for me to have not considered the Congress members lame.

Forgot the words? I guess I just figured the song is familiar enough that with a song leader there and leading the pace, the words would "come back" in much the same way riding a bike does. I don't remember all the words to "Alouette," but with someone leading the song, I could at the very least chime in and be heard for the chorus, perhaps part of it, or something on that order...That's about as much as it would have taken for me to have not considered the Congress members lame.
Oh, for heavens sake, 320, you trying NOT to admit that you don't remember the words either? Who cares if you know Alouette?
Give it a shot. NO CHEATING!!!

Oh, for heavens sake, 320, you trying NOT to admit that you don't remember the words either? Who cares if you know Alouette?

God Bless America...That I do know the words. My Country 'Tis of Thee too.

Roughly 30% (hopefully less) of this country is going to vote for Trump.

Goddamn American. We screwed these people, made them stupid.

Trump and his idiot followers are on us.

You old liar.
I was kinda hoping someone would fill in my blanks--lot of mumbling in that second line.

You old liar.
I was kinda hoping someone would fill in my blanks--lot of mumbling in that second line.

You remembered more than me. :lol:

Roughly 30% (hopefully less) of this country is going to vote for Trump.

Goddamn American. We screwed these people, made them stupid.

Trump and his idiot followers are on us.
what the fuck does this have to do with trump?....

Oh, do you want

You old liar.
Oh, were you expecting me to type out the lyrics? LOL

Lessee,
Stand beside us and guide us through the (something) of the (something) (from?) above.

That's all I remember.
Stand beside HER, not us. :D

Oh, do you want

You old liar.
Oh, were you expecting me to type out the lyrics? LOL
I was hoping someone would take up the challenge, just for fun.:)
But your original gripe here, that Congress as currently constituted, is pretty worthless, is probably true to a certain extent, no matter their musical repertoire. But whose fault is that? I readily and humbly admit that I have no idea who my Representative to the US Congress is. I do usually start looking into these things a bit at this point in an election year, but you know, there is very little even in our local paper that keeps us up to speed on what they're doing. You have to stick it under our noses, put it on the 6 o'clock news or in the B section of the paper once in awhile so we know what's going on. Our senators are another matter. They get plenty of coverage, and I'm proud that one of them is Susan Collins.
Poorly informed and uninterested electorate = boobs who can't sing God Bless America.

Lessee,

That's all I remember.
Stand beside HER, not us. :D
Thanks, G.

Of course, they are all career politicians... The lowest of lifeforms

God bless America, land that I love.
Stand beside her and guide her,
Through the night with the light from above.
From the mountains, to the prairies,
To the oceans white with foam,
God bless America, my home sweet home.

But your original gripe here, that Congress as currently constituted, is pretty worthless, is probably true to a certain extent, no matter their musical repertoire.

Well, in fairness, my gripe is about the way the individuals in Congress are full of gratuitous patriotic bluster and rhetoric, yet when given the most innocuous opportunity to of displaying a tiny bit of genuine patriotism, and in a situation when doing so is entirely called for, the lousy bastards are curiously quiescent. The one time anyone could raise their voice, be heard and seen being patriotic, and do so without attracting one bit of criticism, they don't.

What does that say about them to me? It says they are only patriotic enough to "wrap themselves in the flag" when it suits a political objective. Well, how dare they challenge anyone else's patriotism, anyone else's concern for the wellbeing of the nation. Want to make America great again, put new individuals in Congress, people who are patriotic at times other than when there's political gain for being so.

God bless America, land that I love.
Stand beside her and guide her,
Through the night with the light from above.
:salute:
Thanks, 320! Glad to get that cleared up.

Forum List

Back