This is a DISGRACE!!!!!!!!

Well for one they were violating the law.

Can you cite the law that says there is to be no dancing at the federal temples? Or was it just an activist judge that was legislating from the bench?

“[d]emonstrating without a permit” in violation of the National Park Service Regulations. See 36 C.F.R. § 7.96(g)(3)(ii)(C).
Do you agree with a law that requires a permit for a citizen to demonstrate in protest?

Sorry man, I have trouble getting worked up about this.
On May 28, 2011, Kokesh and other activists participated in a flash mob-silent dance at the Thomas Jefferson Memorial in Washington, D.C. in protest of a recent ruling against dancing at federal monuments; the activists were arrested through the use of physical force by U.S. Park Police officers.

A flash mob? I saw 5 people being arrested. The rest were all standing there getting it on video.

why can't we dance at a public monument. It's public for goodness sake?

Our country has become a fascist state and most people never even noticed. The rest don't seem to care.

They shouldn't have been arrested because it shouldn't be a law.

Wrong, it shouldn't be a law and then they wouldn't have been arrested.

This would assume that just because something is a law it's automatically right. If a law is unjust then nobody should be arrested for breaking it.

Absolutely not. However, in a country where the rule of law exists, you must go through the proper procedures for getting an unjust law repealed. You cannot have its enforcement officers deciding whether to enforce the law or not by fiat. That leads to corruption. They are charged with faithful execution of the laws.

Thus, civil disobedience is a fine tool to point out that a law is unjust. Peaceful disobedience has a long history in this country. However, if you do the crime, you must do the time. Without that, civil disobedience lacks it's moral component.

That said, I don't know that these nit-wits needed to be choked and have their neck knelt on in the performance of the arrests, but that's a technical question, I suppose.

Obviously this would never happen in D.C. under a DEMOCRATIC president....
OOh wait....

I can understand that the police have been warned about tweet mobs and social media coordinated gangs of robbers and thieves.. But the sheer over-reaction here is just where we've allowed the police powers to go.. Ain't no ones' fault but our own. If we have judges allowing no warrant searches and busting people for taking videos of arrests -- we're gonna need to RESTATE some rights and protections to get them back..

Yep, "those who will give up liberty for security deserve neither." - Ben Franklin

Well for one they were violating the law.

Can you cite the law that says there is to be no dancing at the federal temples? Or was it just an activist judge that was legislating from the bench?

“[d]emonstrating without a permit” in violation of the National Park Service Regulations. See 36 C.F.R. § 7.96(g)(3)(ii)(C).

This would be a branch of the federal government, correct?

I just don't get it Kevin.

Why stir up trouble for the sake of stirring up trouble.

It's silly.

I can understand protesting the war in Iraq...I don't agree, but I definitely understand.

But protesting the refusal of The Man to allow you to get yo dance on...c'mon now.

Civil Disobedience is SOOOOO evil....as were David Henry Thoreau, Gandhi, and Martin Luther King Jr.

I'm not opposed to civil disobedience to champion a worthy cause...even if it's a cause I don't agree with.

But this is silly and stupid...these spoiled brats are not being oppressed.

Comparing this nonsense to Gandhi and King cheapens their monumental contributions to combating real oppression.

Where do you think oppression starts? It starts with the little things, as people get used to losing more and more of their rights, they move on to the bigger things.

They broke the law.

And, they intended to get arrested. Ergo....
He didn't say they were subject to arrest. He said they deserve to be arrested.

1) Do you agree there is a difference?

2) Do you believe they deserve to be arrested?

3) If so, why?

If you break the law, you "deserve" to be arrested. If you are "subject" to arrest, you have broken a law. I don't know why you would be "subject" to arrest if you have broken no laws. Now, if you decide to pick a fight with a cop, you can go from not subject to arrest, to subject to arrest pretty quick, but common sense should tell you that much.

Given all that, I think it's a stupid law, but there it is.

I think that the cops should go home and tell their children how brave they were today in protecting our freedoms and them tomorrow fire them all for being stupid. And then we wonder why a lot of us hold the police in low regards.

This would be a branch of the federal government, correct?

Since the National Park Service is indeed a federal agency, and since the Constitution restricts the federal government from abridging our right to peaceably assemble I'm forced to conclude that this is unconstitutional.

The law is the law, to challenge the officers whose job it is to uphold that law has got to be the stupidest way of trying to get the law changed that there is.

Now I don't know what laws they were protesting against and I really don't care. There are better and legal means to get the law changed.

Common sense tells us that the officer on duty can't change the law he can only enforce it. Why make his job even harder than it is?

The law is the law, to challenge the officers whose job it is to uphold that law has got to be the stupidest way of trying to get the law changed that there is.

Now I don't know what laws they were protesting against and I really don't care. There are better and legal means to get the law changed.

Common sense tells us that the officer on duty can't change the law he can only enforce it. Why make his job even harder than it is?

Authority should be challenged, especially when the law is ridiculous and unconstitutional.

Authority should be challenged, especially when the law is ridiculous and unconstitutional.

Fine, challenge it within the system not by being stupid.

Do you agree with a law that requires a permit for a citizen to demonstrate in protest?

Whether I agree with it or not isn't the issue. The fact is they did not have a permit to demonstrate and they chose to ignore the law and got arrested for their trouble.

Fine, challenge it within the system not by being stupid.

Stupid is subjective. I don't think civil disobedience is stupid.

On May 28, 2011, Kokesh and other activists participated in a flash mob-silent dance at the Thomas Jefferson Memorial in Washington, D.C. in protest of a recent ruling against dancing at federal monuments; the activists were arrested through the use of physical force by U.S. Park Police officers.

A flash mob? I saw 5 people being arrested. The rest were all standing there getting it on video.

Our country has become a fascist state and most people never even noticed. The rest don't seem to care.

You can if you can get the proper permit.

Personally I don't want to go to a memorial and see idiots dancing around. They have places for that ie clubs and the like.

Good Grief Sheila...are you invoking the slippery slope doctrine?

First there's no dancing at National Monuments...and the next thing you know, we're all in detention camps for our "reeducation"?

Give me a break.

No one is saying you can't protest.

No one is saying you can't dance.

The U.S. Park Service is saying you need a permit to protest there.

Absolutely legal and constitutional.
The first amendment permits the government to impose a permit requirement for those wishing to engage in expressive activity on public property, such as streets, sidewalks, and parks.

Any such permit scheme controlling the time, place, and manner of speech must not be based on the content of the message, must be narrowly tailored to serve a significant governmental interest, and must leave open ample alternatives for communication.
If you oppose this, you should fight to change it using legal forms of redress.

But if you break the law...you should expect to be arrested for it.

Last edited:
I think that the cops should go home and tell their children how brave they were today in protecting our freedoms and them tomorrow fire them all for being stupid. And then we wonder why a lot of us hold the police in low regards.

But, the people that wrote the law get a pass?

You can if you can get the proper permit.

Personally I don't want to go to a memorial and see idiots dancing around. They have places for that ie clubs and the like.

Personally I don't want to go to a memorial and see people just standing around. They have places for that, ie the DMV and the like.

Forum List

Back