Third Grader Shoots Gun in Class

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
About 1:15 p.m. Tuesday afternoon, the third-grade class at University Meadows Elementary School had finished the second day of all-important end-of grade tests. Most of the 20 students were getting ready to go home for the day, when a large bang filled the room.

The teacher quickly realized that one of her students had a gun and had fired the weapon, apparently hitting a desk.

No one was injured, and the day went on as normal for the kids outside that classroom on the University Meadows campus. Everyone was dismissed a short time later.

Many of the teachers did not find out about the incident until after dismissal, when Principal Tangela Williams held a faculty meeting, Area Superintendent Scott Muri said.

Investigators aren’t sure how the juvenile got the weapon or why the student brought it into the classroom, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department Public Information Officer Rosalyn Harrington said Wednesday, May 12. The student did fire the weapon, Harrington said. It did not go off accidentally.

School moves forward after shot fired in class | Carolina Weekly Newspapers

How should the school and the justice system handle this? The kid is probably 8 years old.

if I was the teacher.. Id probably beat the kid at first, take his gun, and then go to his home and beat the parents...

I mean really... Im all for gun rights, but this is irresponsibility.. WTF is wrong with people.

Amazing how that school kept the incident low-key, but they didn't sugar coat it either.

Any other school may have seen the teacher scream bloody murder, pull the fire alarm, evacuate the building, call in SWAT, and cancel classes for a week.

I knew mud was kidding. But I hoped this wouldn't become a discussion on gun control. My interest is in juvenile justice. What should be his ounishment? Should he be allowed back in that class? How would the other parents react? And of course he's too young to be sent away. I don't know myself. Just curious what others think.

I knew mud was kidding. But I hoped this wouldn't become a discussion on gun control. My interest is in juvenile justice. What should be his ounishment? Should he be allowed back in that class? How would the other parents react? And of course he's too young to be sent away. I don't know myself. Just curious what others think.

Chanel, you know most folks can't comment on anything on here without blaming Bush or Obama for whatever ails them.

First, the parents need to be held as accountable as the child. Where did he get the gun I wonder?

Second, since he shot the gun off in class, I'm thinking some time off the rest of the school year, and maybe next year too, would be a good plan. Many parents won't feel comfortable sending their child to school if they think the boy will be there too.

Third, where should he end up then? That's for the juvenile system to decide.

jail the adult(s) responsbile for getting the kid access to the gun and then require he go through mental health counseling through at least the summer if not much longer depending on progress

The kid should probably be expelled which is what most schools do when you bring a gun to school.
His parents should be charged with child endangerment.

The kid should probably be expelled which is what most schools do when you bring a gun to school.
His parents should be charged with child endangerment.

and what if his uncle gave him the gun or he found it walking to school or what if some teacher slipped it to him? why so quick to blame the parents?

Forum List

Back