Things that make you go hmmmm.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by DKSuddeth, Aug 23, 2004.

1. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    This should make you wonder, but I know how you all feel about conspiracy theories.

14 Search Dogs From Ground Zero Have Died Since 9/11

Fourteen search and rescue dogs who dug through the rubble of the World Trade Center have since died.

Eight of the dogs died from cancer.

Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine said they don't believe there is a connection between the deaths and the chemicals the dogs were exposed to.

But the New York Daily News said some dog owners blame the mix of chemicals their dogs were exposed to during the hunt for survivors and remains after the attack on Sept. 11, 2001.

And the lead author of the study said the surviving dogs will need to be monitored for the rest of their lives. Dr. Cynthia Otto said if they begin to have health problems, there is a good chance that people who worked to clear the site could have problems as well.

2. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I wouldn't doubt if they died from the chemicals encountered in the searches. The WTC was old, and I know they were concerned about a lot of asbestos. Think about it, the dogs had their noses to the ground, sniffing that dust for weeks on end.

I love dogs so I hate to hear this, but I thank God they were able to help and I appreciate their service to us humans.

3. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Given the mix of pollutants and especially their density during the days following the collapse of the WTC towers, it is not surprising that this type of problem is beginning to surface. Even if the fallout from the WTC collapse had consisted of nothing more than concrete dust, there would be respiratory and other problems for those who breathed that air without a respirator or without a mask of some sort.

As for a conspiracies, I'm skeptical of that. Sounds more like bureaucratic butt-covering to me than anything else. But what really matters is identifying the people who breathed that dust cloud and monitoring them at least every six months for the next three or four years in order to catch any carcenoma development in the early stages.

4. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Wonder? Wonder about what, DK? Do you have a Theory?

5. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    actually, more questions, like why did the EPA issue bogus air quality information at ground zero? who ordered it? and why, when other information was made later, didn't they just admit that they lied about it?

6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    We gotta get PETA to do some investigating for us. :)

7. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    where are air samples taken? At human breathing levels or at dog breathing levels?

You seem to be overlooking the fact that the DOGS were walking around with their noses mm's above the ground SNIFFING for scents. Humans don't walk around with their nose just mm's above the ground do they?

8. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I had a feeling that alot of people would like to just see this blown over. If you're at all interested, then read some articles I guess. Otherwise maybe I can safely assume that you have the same indifference to life.

google search on air quality at ground zero

9. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    I fail to see what this means. EPA fucked up? Is it the first time a government agency has fucked up and tried to cover their asses? What were they supposed to do? Evacuate all of Manhatten for fear of a possible contaminent in the air? LEave the possibilty of survivors up in the air because no rescue workers could be permitted to enter ground zero?

DK, usually you have some good ideas but this one is pointless. Even if your theory is true, what good wil lcome of it?

10. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    And let's not forget all the workers at the site who were exposed to that same environment, nor the Bush EPA who said it was safe.