They Are Insulting You

Article 15

Dr. House slayer
Jul 4, 2008
From an anonymous Internet poster:

The way to deal with the “celebrity” charge is not to lower your profile; it’s to turn that charge back around on McCain. If I were advising Obama, I’d tell him to get up there in front of that sold out stadium and say the following:

My opponent has taken to calling me a “celebrity” in all of his commercials. The suggestion, I can only assume, is that all of you (gesturing to the crowd) show up at events like this and donate your time and your money to this campaign because you’re all adoring groupies who are obsessed with me. Now, that would certainly be flattering if it were true, but I’m not going to delude myself. The reality is I can’t act, I can’t sing, and my personal life is incredibly boring.

The truth is that no one would be paying any attention to me at all if I wasn’t talking about things that really matter to a lot of people. You’re not here tonight–and you’re not watching at home–because you want to be entertained. Lord knows there are plenty of things that you could be doing with your time right now that would be far more entertaining than listening to me. No, you’re here tonight because you love your country and you’re concerned about the direction it’s been heading over the last eight years.

You’re not here tonight to see what kind of outfit I’m wearing or to hear my latest hit single–and if you are, I think you’re probably going to be disappointed. No, you’re here because you want change, you want a government that fights for people like you and not on behalf of powerful special interests; you want a government that keeps you safe by pursuing a rationale foreign policy abroad and keeps your family secure by creating jobs, ensuring access to affordable health care, and fighting for energy independence.

That’s why you’re here. That’s why you’re volunteering your time at record levels. That’s why you’re contributing your hard-earned money in record amounts.

So remember, when John McCain and his surrogates call me a “celebrity,” they’re not insulting me; they’re insulting you. They’re insinuating that you are a mindless groupie rather than a concerned citizen, a fan rather than a voter.

But it’s not going to work. You know why you’re here, you know why you’re watching, and you’re much smarter than they give you credit for.

Crooks and Liars How Obama Should Respond to the “Celebrity” Charge

Sometimes I think subtlety is lost on the masses when it comes to advertising. But there is truth there and if Obama can win this one it will change the way he is perceived, it will change a divide that has been so large I still hear it from many.

"For we have a choice in this country. We can accept a politics that breeds division, and conflict, and cynicism. We can tackle race only as spectacle – as we did in the OJ trial – or in the wake of tragedy, as we did in the aftermath of Katrina - or as fodder for the nightly news. We can play Reverend Wright’s sermons on every channel, every day and talk about them from now until the election, and make the only question in this campaign whether or not the American people think that I somehow believe or sympathize with his most offensive words. We can pounce on some gaffe by a Hillary supporter as evidence that she’s playing the race card, or we can speculate on whether white men will all flock to John McCain in the general election regardless of his policies.

We can do that.

But if we do, I can tell you that in the next election, we’ll be talking about some other distraction. And then another one. And then another one. And nothing will change." Barack Obama

Sometimes I think subtlety is lost on the masses when it comes to advertising. But there is truth there and if Obama can win this one it will change the way he is perceived, it will change a divide that has been so large I still hear it from many.

"For we have a choice in this country. We can accept a politics that breeds division, and conflict, and cynicism. We can tackle race only as spectacle – as we did in the OJ trial – or in the wake of tragedy, as we did in the aftermath of Katrina - or as fodder for the nightly news. We can play Reverend Wright’s sermons on every channel, every day and talk about them from now until the election, and make the only question in this campaign whether or not the American people think that I somehow believe or sympathize with his most offensive words. We can pounce on some gaffe by a Hillary supporter as evidence that she’s playing the race card, or we can speculate on whether white men will all flock to John McCain in the general election regardless of his policies.

We can do that.

But if we do, I can tell you that in the next election, we’ll be talking about some other distraction. And then another one. And then another one. And nothing will change." Barack Obama

Nothing will change even if he is elected. Politics is always about distractions. You really need to learn to read between the lines when you see this talk that is meant to distract you .

Nothing will change even if he is elected. Politics is always about distractions. You really need to learn to read between the lines when you see this talk that is meant to distract you .

We have to lose this cynicism - I was listening to Mike Gravel on cspan today, damn he made more sense than I had given him as his media image was skewed.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Kingmakers-Media-Threatens-Security-Democracy/dp/159777586X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218406881&sr=1-3]Amazon.com: The Kingmakers: How the Media Threatens Our Security and Our Democracy: Mike Gravel, David Eisenbach: Books[/ame]

This celebrity angle being taken by the McCain campaign is one such distraction that you speak of ...

Do you think that it is an empty attack which insults the intelligence of the voters?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do tend to agree with you that nothing will change if Obama is elected ... he has showed himself to be a lot more "politician" than the true believers think he is but on the other hand I can understand midcan5's feelings that we need to "lose the cynicism." To me it seems like America is losing it's "can-do" attitude.

This celebrity angle being taken by the McCain campaign is one such distraction that you speak of ...

Do you think that it is an empty attack which insults the intelligence of the voters?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do tend to agree with you that nothing will change if Obama is elected ... he has showed himself to be a lot more "politician" than the true believers think he is but on the other hand I can understand midcan5's feelings that we need to "lose the cynicism." To me it seems like America is losing it's "can-do" attitude.

That depends on what you replace it with. Cynicism isn't just a fad that popped up. It's a coping mechanism. It's dealing with reality and less destructive than the hostility and hopelessness that it suppresses.
I've given up on trying to assess the intelligence of the American voter. I don't see any tools that I could use that would give me an accurate way to measure political intelligence.

It is nearly impossible not to be cynical in today's America. We have 2 parties who could give a fuck less about us.

I can understand that ...

It seems to me that today getting reelected is numero uno and everything else is secondary ...

That depends on what you replace it with. Cynicism isn't just a fad that popped up. It's a coping mechanism. It's dealing with reality and less destructive than the hostility and hopelessness that it suppresses.
I've given up on trying to assess the intelligence of the American voter. I don't see any tools that I could use that would give me an accurate way to measure political intelligence.

That's a good point you make about cynicism ...

I wonder if it could just be replaced or if something needs to happen in order to justify a collective change of heart ...

I would like to think someone could make it happen but ----?

I dunno ... was hoping you did ;)

Seriously ...

I think we had a chance after 9/11 but bitter partisanship on both ends ruined that chance ...

Now, I'm guessing it will be born out of necessity ...

A real bi-partisan comprehensive enery policy that included a change over to a new energy source IMO would help create that atmosphere ...

But then the whole question of what are we going to switch to is a bit of a problem ...

And now I'm cynical again ... :razz:

I dunno ... was hoping you did ;)

Seriously ...

I think we had a chance after 9/11 but bitter partisanship on both ends ruined that chance ...

Now, I'm guessing it will be born out of necessity ...

A real bi-partisan comprehensive enery policy that included a change over to a new energy source IMO would help create that atmosphere ...

But then the whole question of what are we going to switch to is a bit of a problem ...

And now I'm cynical again ... :razz:

No clue--I thought 9/11 might do it too-- ya--hyperpatisanship with the assistance of the media seems to have dashed all that.

I agree with the necessity thing--a common goal, a common enemy ?

Globalism feels sorta bla. An Austin, Texas swimmer competing for Zimbawe in the olympics?
I think competition and opposition help create an identity and encourage people to do there best. If we are all on the same team --? bla

No clue--I thought 9/11 might do it too-- ya--hyperpatisanship with the assistance of the media seems to have dashed all that.

I agree with the necessity thing--a common goal, a common enemy ?

Globalism feels sorta bla. An Austin, Texas swimmer competing for Zimbawe in the olympics?
I think competition and opposition help create an identity and encourage people to do there best. If we are all on the same team --? bla

The media loves to fan the flames ...

I'm more of the common goal approach, I suppose it is harder get everyone behind that than a common enemy but I can see a more positive result coming out of a venture instead of a war ... at least in the time we are in ...

But I can see your point ... a completely "united" society doesn't sound too appealing either ...

Politics is always about distractions. You really need to learn to read between the lines when you see this talk that is meant to distract you .

Truer words were never spoken.

Today's political motus operandi is all about distracting the voters with buzz words, issues of little real signficance and half truthes.

I blame the power of television for this trend, to be honest.

Not that pols were more honest before it, but it harder to bullshit people on paper BECAUSE THE PAPER IS LESS EPHEMERAL than television.

It's actually more complex than just that, but what appears to be happening to me is that pols operate under the assumption that what they said last week bears no importance on what they say this week, and since most people only get their news from TV or radio, they're mostly right about that.

For example...NOW we're got obvious right wingers calling Hillary a moderate leaning to the left.

Don't we all know remember the vile things that they USED to day about her?

Well, perhaps some of us can't remember the past.

Those of us with that annoying persistence of memory cannot forget it though.

Eventually what happens to US is that we realize its really ALL bullshit realy all the time from these guys.

The ONLY way to know what pols are really all about is to see what they did, NOT to listen to what they say they will do.

Truer words were never spoken.

Today's political motus operandi is all about distracting the voters with buzz words, issues of little real signficance and half truthes.

I blame the power of television for this trend, to be honest.

Not that pols were more honest before it, but it harder to bullshit people on paper BECAUSE THE PAPER IS LESS EPHEMERAL than television.

It's actually more complex than just that, but what appears to be happening to me is that pols operate under the assumption that what they said last week bears no importance on what they say this week, and since most people only get their news from TV or radio, they're mostly right about that.

For example...NOW we're got obvious right wingers calling Hillary a moderate leaning to the left.

Don't we all know remember the vile things that they USED to day about her?

Well, perhaps some of us can't remember the past.

Those of us with that annoying persistence of memory cannot forget it though.

Eventually what happens to US is that we realize its really ALL bullshit realy all the time from these guys.

The ONLY way to know what pols are really all about is to see what they did, NOT to listen to what they say they will do.

Always a better to watch what people do instead of listen to what they say. You can even know yourself better but looking at what you do

It is nearly impossible not to be cynical in today's America. We have 2 parties who could give a fuck less about us.

Oh but the Libertarian party cares deeply for you personally? They just want power too. No different. And aren't most Libertarians nothing more than cast out Republicans?

You people use the cynicism as an epithet.

Understandable since that is the meaning that is most often used conventionally.

But like many such common wisdoms it is basically wrong.

Many of you here on this board actually advocate cynicism , and don't really realize it.

It may behoove some of you to know what cynicism really is. because some of you who are cynics probably do need to know that:

1. You are not alone in the world for thinking the way you do; and

2. You are probably among the world's vanguard who sees through the bullshit in his world and calls the world on it. (What I'm trying to tell you all here is that calling somebody a cynic isn't an insult, it's a high compliment)

One more point...some of you leaning to the right here are obviously cynics, and some of you leaning to the left are ALSO cynics.

The philosophical cynic really has no inherent political positions to which they will adhere, but merely eschews bullshit social conventional thinking whenever and whereever it he finds it.

Read on below, or read more here

3. Cynic Ethics

Foremost for understanding the Cynic conception of ethics is that virtue is a life lived in accord with nature. Nature offers the clearest indication of how to live the good life, which is characterized by reason, self-sufficiency, and freedom.

Social conventions, however, can hinder the good life by compromising freedom and setting up a code of conduct that is opposed to nature and reason. Conventions are not inherently bad; however, for the Cynic, conventions are often absurd and worthy of ridicule.

The Cynics deride the attention paid to the Olympics, the “big thieves” who run the temples and are seen carrying away the “little thieves” who steal from them, politicians as well as the philosophers who attend their courts, fashion, and prayers for such things as fame and fortune.

Only once one has freed oneself from the strictures that impede an ethical life can one be said to be truly free. As such, the Cynics advocate askēsis, or practice, over theory as the means to free oneself from convention, promote self-sufficiency, and live in accord with nature.

Such askēsis leads the Cynic to live in poverty, embrace hardship and toil, and permits the Cynic to speak freely about the silly, and often vicious, way life is lived by his or her contemporaries.

The Cynics consistently undermine the most hallowed principles of Athenian culture, but they do so for the sake of replacing them with those in accord with reason, nature, and virtue.

I STRONGLY advise SOME of you to folow that link and ponder the meaning of cynicism.

YOU are not crazy, the world definitely is, and this was as true three-thousands years ago, as it is today.

At least some of you who are marching to the beat of a different drummer have been cynics your whole lives and probably didn't know it.

Last edited:
You people use the cynicism as an epithet.

Understandable since that is the meaning that is most often used conventionally.

But like many such common wisdoms it is basically wrong.

Many of you here on this board actually advocate cynicism , and don't really realize it.

It may behoove some of you to know what cynicism really is. because some of you who are cynics probably do need to know that:

1. You are not alone in the world for thinking the way you do; and

2. You are probably among the world's vanguard who sees through the bullshit in his world and calls the world on it. (What I'm trying to tell you all here is that calling somebody a cynic isn't an insult, it's a high compliment)

One more point...some of you leaning to the right here are obviously cynics, and some of you leaning to the left are ALSO cynics.

The philosophical cynic really has no inherent political positions to which they will adhere, but merely eschews bullshit social conventional thinking whenever and whereever it he finds it.

Read on below, or read more here

I STRONGLY advise SOME of you to folow that link and ponder the meaning of cynicism.

YOU are not crazy, the world definitely is, and this was as true three-thousands years ago, as it is today.

At least some of you who are marching to the beat of a different drummer have been cynics your whole lives and probably didn't know it.

Even cynicsm can be over done and turn into a false haven of its own. Plenty of cynics have been burned by trying to trust so many times that they are reluctant to try again. I think that explains a lot of cynicism but it's not a recommendation to stubbornly remain one.

Forum List

Back