These are 7 year old girls for crying out loud!

I go to take a nap, and come back to find this thread at Page 9. Who had a meltdown? :lol:

ME!

Apparently I'm a bad person for wanting to keep little children innocent and not sexualized for a little while longer.

I haven't had a good meltdown for awhile, and I am just chilling on the couch, so it's all good! :thup:

You don't seem to understand that giving children skills and confidence is not what gets them victimized.

And is this the only way to give children skills and confidence? Is it the best way? People have the right to their opinions, my opinion is that this level of sexualization and this level of competition is not age appropriate. Kids need to be kids and explore every part of their world, that means the trees, fields, and fences and not just how to put on makeup, wiggle and smile for the judges. There's time for all that other stuff later, when they can really understand what it is they're doing and committing to.

ME!

Apparently I'm a bad person for wanting to keep little children innocent and not sexualized for a little while longer.

I haven't had a good meltdown for awhile, and I am just chilling on the couch, so it's all good! :thup:

How dare you! I mean, they're seven! That's like what? 77 in Dog Years? :eek:

The truth is: the song is fun; the kids danced pretty well for 7 year olds; and the costumes reflect a complete lack of mature judgment by their parents.

However, we've all seen worse objectification of women and children in our lives. That doesn't make this version any less off-putting.

Give them another 6 years and Roman Polanski would drug them and rape them to the applause of filthy assholes like Woody Allen and USMB's own pedophile supporter, Contumacious.

When you go making sense like this it makes me wonder if somebody slipped something in my coffee. Stop that! :lol:

ME!

You don't seem to understand that giving children skills and confidence is not what gets them victimized.

And is this the only way to give children skills and confidence? Is it the best way? People have the right to their opinions, my opinion is that this level of sexualization and this level of competition is not age appropriate. Kids need to be kids and explore every part of their world, that means the trees, fields, and fences and not just how to put on makeup, wiggle and smile for the judges. There's time for all that other stuff later, when they can really understand what it is they're doing and committing to.

So you are the one to decide what the 'best' way to do something is? I simply didn't see any bumping and grinding in that vid. Nor are the outfits any worse than swimsuits or gymnastic leotards. I am far more concerned about the beholders than the dancers. And I don't think any of them 'commited' to anything but dancing the best they could. And they were great at it. It is clear they worked on it.

How do you know they don't explore the trees, fields and fences? You don't. You are not with any of them 24/7. You have simply set yourself up as judge and jury.

Just a few more examples of what competitions like this are. What the girls did and wore are well within standards.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6aSgtHIjsI&feature=PlayList&p=E1691158D0F8E34B&playnext_from=PL&index=6&playnext=1]YouTube - Fierce Four[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueP_witMXAs]YouTube - "West Coast Minis" Showstopper American Dance Championships[/ame]

Understand clearly, I do not think its a great message to be sending, being so sexuality overt so young. But it is expected if you want to win.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago, me and a couple of friends were walking around the Illinois State Fair, which by the way, has to be one of the best State Fairs in the nation. There are all these contests going around. One with kids and their pet pig dressed like famous duo's, Batman and Robin, Sherlock and Watson, etc.

Banjo competition.

Prettiest goat.

Tap dancing.

Shetland ponies racing miniatures carriages (there was a pile up that freaked everyone out).

Not to mention all the pavilions. Butter sculptures, quilts, whittling (from wood), etc.

Hundreds of bands and food stalls (steak, country corn, everything country).

So we pass by this one competition and it's "cheerleaders". So were having a cool beer, watching the competition, when these five girls come out. Now the other girls had the kind of "cheer-leading" outfits that you would expect. NOT these girls.

When they walked out, my friend goes, "Where's the pole?" I shhed him and told him these were someones kids so have a little respect". Now we are standing in a crowd.

He goes, "Oh no, these aren't any one's "kids", no, those girls are fully formed. These are cornfed country girls. And those are not cheer-leading outfits. No, we have a different name."

Then the music starts. It sounds like "stripper music". The suits looked very much like this:

3508947659_e986624b26.jpg

These girls are bumping and grinding and the audience is soundless. Except where I'm standing. My friend is going on and on about these girls looking hootchie and everyone standing around us is laughing. That "shamefaced, uncomfortable laugh" that people do when looking at someone falling on their butt with their hand landing in, well, you know."

Anyway, we didn't know who won. We left because we are all family guys and it was very, very uncomfortable. The parents of those girls must have been in a rush to be grand parents. There couldn't be any other possible explanation. And I wonder what the "real" kids thought of those "girls"? Oh well, I guess the next generation of "Hooters" has to come from somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
ME!

Exactly!

Damn, you're one sensible broad, did you know that? :cool:

SSOOOooooooo...It is the outfits that has everyone in a tizzy? None of you have ever been to a public beach?

The outfits are two piece. Nothing is even close to being exposed except belly buttons. Are you guys saying that two piece outfits are suggestive?

What do you think the kids should have been wearing?

Way to deliberately miss the point, Smuggler! :clap2:

Let us explore "The Point".

OOOOKKKKK.... counselor... If you were puttin a jury together ..just sayin... would you seat Echo after hearing about the bloody butt? Would you allow the video with the tv personalities comment part included?

Would you allow testimony not asked in direct that suggested sexual gyrations?

Would you allow characterization of the two piece outfits as sexually alluring?

If you are worth spit as an attorney and managed to frame the video..just the video as evidence of child abuse....what do you think an impartial jury would say?

Just a few more examples of what competitions like this are. What the girls did and wore are well within standards.

Understand clearly, I do not think its a great message to be sending, being so sexuality overt so young. But it is expected if you want to win.

What most people don't understand is the amount of time that goes into being able to perform. Any performing art and that includes band and guard which mine were in in HS keeps kids so busy they don't really have time to get into the kind of trouble that is being attributed to them here.

It's just a dance costume. I seriously doubt they wear then in any other context. My kids didn't and never wanted to.

I see what you and syrenn are saying, and it is what it is. You may see nothing particularly sexy about it, but you're not a predator. I'm not one of those paranoid wrap your kids in cotton moms, imagining a pedo lurking around every corner just waiting to snatch my kiddos. But you won't see my daughter at an event that's a sicko magnet dressed like that either. She can dress up and play rock star in her own bedroom if that's what she wants to do. And she can dance perfectly well in something that covers her belly button.

I hear ya sister.

I guess I'm a big old prude because I don't think we should be sexualizing our children at age 7.
Not prudish at all. There has to be an age when it's appropriate for a young lady to dance suggestively in a costume resembling that of a French whore, but seven is not it.

The end of taking lessons in something is performing. The gymnasts where my kids took lessons performed also. These are 'performing arts' just like voice and piano. There is no point in it unless the person performs before an audience.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see your point in saying the end result is performing. Of course it is. And when you're dealing with children, ideally that means performing in an age appropriate manner. In my 6-year-old daughter's case that means yes, wearing a leotard, and performing a gymnastics routine for the families of the kids in her class and occasionally a few judges. My point is you're comparing apples and oranges, it's not about whether they're performing but whether the way they are performing is appropriate.

No, dear, a skimpy outfit is a skimpy outfit regardless what the occasion is.
It is what you do in it that makes it sexy. Walking on a public beach in a two piece suit is not sexy. Hunching and spreading your legs to a jungle beat is. The costumes and the dance were both inappropriate for seven year old girls.

SSOOOooooooo...It is the outfits that has everyone in a tizzy? None of you have ever been to a public beach?

The outfits are two piece. Nothing is even close to being exposed except belly buttons. Are you guys saying that two piece outfits are suggestive?

One piece costumes...maybe with some butterfly wings...and tenna balls on springs sticking out of their heads...and lose the stockings, cut the bumps and grinds, change the music and you might have a decent show for seven year olds. Trying to be sexy should be delayed at least until puberty. That doesn't happen at age seven.

Last edited:
OK, does anyone else find it odd that the so called "liberals" on this board are in agreement of this being too sexualized for 7 year old girls, but a lot (not all) of the conservative (mainly the women) think there is nothing wrong with it?

I thought it would be the other way around for some reason.

Weird.

OOOOKKKKK.... counselor... If you were puttin a jury together ..just sayin... would you seat Echo after hearing about the bloody butt? Would you allow the video with the tv personalities comment part included?

If you are worth spit as an attorney and managed to frame the video..just the video as evidence of child abuse....what do you think an impartial jury would say?

I don't think the video is evidence of child abuse. But I think there are some on here who should really be concerned about their own reactions to young girls.

OK, does anyone else find it odd that the so called "liberals" on this board are in agreement of this being too sexualized for 7 year old girls, but a lot (not all) of the conservative (mainly the women) think there is nothing wrong with it?

Weird.

Not particularly. I think conservatives are not the ones who have the 'anything goes' type of thinking. All I see is kids giving one hell of a dance performance. The 'live and let live' set sees what they see in about everything.

Weird.

Seems to me that it isn't splitting along party lines like that either.

Just some people don't see a problem with it. Some do.

What most people don't understand is the amount of time that goes into being able to perform. Any performing art and that includes band and guard which mine were in in HS keeps kids so busy they don't really have time to get into the kind of trouble that is being attributed to them here.

There is a difference in what children do and what is protected on to them.

The world is full of nut cases. It is what they think and act upon that is dangerous. There is a valid point of what all of this looks like to people who are not in the entertainment industry. If you look hard enough you can find something sexual in just about anything depending on what turns you on.

There are a lot of sick fuckers out there who get cheap thrills from performances like this.

I don't think the video is evidence of child abuse. But I think there are some on here who should really be concerned about their own reactions to young girls.

You're right, we should be concered with those of you who think it's ok for 7 year old children to be sexualized that way.

But again, that's your opinion and you have every right to it, as I do to mine.

So you are the one to decide what the 'best' way to do something is? I simply didn't see any bumping and grinding in that vid. Nor are the outfits any worse than swimsuits or gymnastic leotards. I am far more concerned about the beholders than the dancers. And I don't think any of them 'commited' to anything but dancing the best they could. And they were great at it. It is clear they worked on it.

How do you know they don't explore the trees, fields and fences? You don't. You are not with any of them 24/7. You have simply set yourself up as judge and jury.

For my own children? Of course I am the judge of what's right for them at 6 or 7 years old. I am their parent. It goes with the territory. And I say it's inappropriate for the age. You raise your kids as you please, it's still a free country last I checked. I'm entitled to my opinion, you're entitled to yours. But I haven't attacked you personally on this, you know. Nothing gets people on the defensive like the Mommy wars. Lighten up already!

Your babbling incoherence is showing, Smuggler.

I would venture the guess that the video itself would be IN evidence and I would sure as shit like to know in advance the views of any prospective juror on that topic -- making my selections largely depending then on which side of the issue I was representin'!

I don't for one second believe that two randomly selected juries would necessarily agree on what that video depicts in the context of the question "is this age inappropriate?"

Thankfully, this isn't a jury issue.

This is a message board thread where we each get to vent a bit on OUR OWN views of the matter.

The dancing was good.

The music was fun.

The costumes and the aura of sexuality they provide (together with some of the suggestive-nature of some of the dance moves) do strike me as being age INappropriate for 7 year olds. You are not obligated to agree, Smuggler.

But I still say, if they were dancing in front of him, those dance moves and the costumes would get a fucking piece of shit like Roman Polanski all hot and bothered. Some folks might deem that to be a kind of "tell."

For my own children? Of course I am the judge of what's right for them at 6 or 7 years old. I am their parent. It goes with the territory. And I say it's inappropriate for the age. You raise your kids as you please, it's still a free country last I checked. I'm entitled to my opinion, you're entitled to yours. But I haven't attacked you personally on this, you know. Nothing gets people on the defensive like the Mommy wars. Lighten up already!

Weird---I thought it was a sex war--just goes to show ya ! MEN ! :doubt:

Forum List

Back