"There's No Discipline! No Respect!"

Instead of massive desegregation that fucked everything up the better thing to have done was to improve the Black neighborhood schools and gradually ease into allowing Black students to go to a White school if they wanted to do it. That would have solved the problem with the massive disruption we saw in the 1970s that is still causing problems nowadays. Of course Liberals never do the right thing, do they?
Somehow you neglected to allow for all those White students who would obviously want to go to the Black neighborhood schools as well.

The main question is how you would improve the Black schools. They are in bad neighbourhoods, good teachers wouldn't want to work there and good students wouldn't want to go there.
Don't these Liberals that advocated racial quotas and busing believe that more money produces better education? They are always talking about putting more money into education.

Back in the 1960s there was a tremendous discrepancy between the cost per student in White schools compared to Black schools. There was a lot of thing they could have done to improve the Black schools.

Allowing racist idiot pussies like you in caused "a major dumbing down" and a vile stench as well.
The Blacks that were bused into the White schools were hardly ever up to grade level. That caused a dumbing down of the classes. The way the schools dealt with that was to create in school segregation with their advanced classes. Meanwhile the normal classes were shit. It even continues to this day.

I keep hearing people who haven't set foot in a public school in decades - if ever - declaring with great certainty that there is "absolutely NO discipline or respect, etc. in the public schools!" I'm here to tell you they're wrong. Are there problems with all that sort of thing regarding some students? Of course. There always has been. Kids are kids, and at a certain age some are not so good at impulse control. This is not new. Backinmydayitis makes some people say some foolish things.

As I've mentioned many times, I work in a (very) urban school district. Just the sort that seems to scare the pants of some loud mouths. I get "yes sir" and "no sir," "thank you, sir" -ed all day long every day.

Discipline? There are a number of students on my rosters who have been out for a rather long time now on suspension. The school where I am teaching night school is a school specifically dedicated (during the day classes) to educating students who have been "invited" to leave the other high schools in the district. A police officer is stationed in the school full time. Yes sir, no sir, thank you sir still applies there as well.

Yes times change, but not as much as we sometimes want to convince ourselves.

Oh and in case you're wondering, no "woke shit" is going on that I have seen.
That "woke shit" depends greatly on where you are. Different states are in different levels of that type of rot. Some places the Wokes score political victories more than others, and they area able to start pushing their agenda without much resistance you becomes exponentially easier with every politiical.offixe that they managed to fill with their "representatives". Other places are still hanging on to conservative values the best they can. The school system where my son attends is definitely not the worst but it's also not the best. LGBTQ-suggestive stuff comes home in parental emails once in awhile and you know the kids are being exposed.to it school, like the proverbial carrot hanging over the donkey's nose. There are slight hints of it in some course material. And the more naysayers they manage to replace with their woke folk, the more you will see it.

Don't these Liberals that advocated racial quotas and busing believe that more money produces better education? They are always talking about putting more money into education.

Back in the 1960s there was a tremendous discrepancy between the cost per student in White schools compared to Black schools. There was a lot of thing they could have done to improve the Black schools.
More money can produce better education, but they can't be a panacea. Bad neighborhoods will have bad schools, with maybe some exceptions.

The issue is far wider than that. Many students don't see school education as a vital part in their lives. No wonder, for people of their age there are more interesting things than a school.

And first of all, we should give an answer to a question - what school education should be and what results it should achieve. Should it teach all students trigonometry and the Middle age history or we should realize that 80% of students won't encounter all that stuff in their whole life.

More money can produce better education, but they can't be a panacea. Bad neighborhoods will have bad schools, with maybe some exceptions.

The issue is far wider than that. Many students don't see school education as a vital part in their lives. No wonder, for people of their age there are more interesting things than a school.

And first of all, we should give an answer to a question - what school education should be and what results it should achieve. Should it teach all students trigonometry and the Middle age history or we should realize that 80% of students won't encounter all that stuff in their whole life.
You are of course correct. Bad neighborhoods will produce kids that don't give a shit about learning anything and no amount of money will fix that.

Back in the 1960s the government should have made an attempt at bringing the Black schools up to par with the White schools before to going to busing and racial quotas like we saw them do. That would have been the sane thing to do.

Everything to educate Blacks was probably going to fail. However, there was no need to destroy the White schools, which is the path that was taken.

The Liberals, in their typical stupidity, thought that the only way to fix the problem was to put ghetto kids in the same class with White kids. It was an insane disaster. Liberals never get anything right.

You Libtards are always in denial about the damage that desegregation did to the American public education system, aren't you?

There use to be two education systems in the US. A good one for the Whites and a bad one for the Blacks.

There could have been a much better way to fix that problem but as usual the Liberals fucked things up with massive desegregation that disrupted the public school with busing in undisciplined ghetto Black kids and put them in the same class room with White students.

They tried to put a band aid on the disruption by having academic and non academic classes to separate the kids that wanted to learn from the ghetto rats but that never worked out too well. Many White parents sent their kids to private schools to get away from the public school disaster.

The fact is that when the Blacks showed up in the classrooms it caused a major dumbing down of Yes Mammthe schools in order to accommodate the lowest denominator. It is not about the kids really learning anything. It is about making sure that the Blacks graduate.

When I graduated from High School in 1966 a diploma meant you could read, write and do arithmetic. Nowadays you can graduate and be functionally illiterate. We can thank desegregation for that.

Nobody really wants to ever acknowledge what the real source is the fact of US schools going from first in the world to 20th or whatever was desegregation because to say the truth would be called racist. However, I am not afraid to call a spade a spade.

Instead of massive desegregation that fucked everything up the better thing to have done was to improve the Black neighborhood schools and gradually ease into allowing Black students to go to a White school if they wanted to do it. That would have solved the problem with the massive disruption we saw in the 1970s that is still causing problems nowadays. Of course Liberals never do the right thing, do they?

I said there was a better way

the Black schools
Is there a larger RACIST ^^^^ than this POS.
OMG, he keeps digging deeper.

FU, Flash , you old, couch watching member of OANN and Newsmax.

Do you have any idea why schools in Baltimore and Chicago have such a low rate of students proficient in math and reading?

Note: Chicago teachers are among the highest paid teachers in our nation.

This is the more critical item for concern. Schools have been failing for decades to do what is their main purpose.
This is from May 2014, so can't blame the "pandemic" for this;
EXCERPT:
WASHINGTON — Handing out dismal grades, the Nation’s Report Card says America’s high school seniors lack critical math and reading skills for an increasingly competitive global economy.

Only about one-quarter are performing proficiently or better in math and just 4 in 10 in reading. And they’re not improving, the report says, reinforcing concerns that large numbers of today’s students are unprepared for either college or the workplace.
~~~~~
EXCERPT:
The main National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP), the data source for the indicators below, evaluates fourth-, eighth-, and 12th-grade students’ ability to tackle demanding reading tasks that are more in line with current curricula than the basic skills measured in the NAEP long-term trend assessment (used for the indicators under “Trends in Basic Reading Skills among School-Age Children”). As of 2019, a majority of students at each grade level failed to demonstrate proficiency in reading, math, or science.
~~~~~~~~
The average reading score for high school seniors declined between 2015 and 2019 and remained unchanged in math, while the country's lowest performing seniors saw their scores drop in both subjects.
Overall, just 37% of 12th-graders reached or exceeded the academic preparedness benchmarks for both math and reading that would qualify them for entry-level college courses – a figure unchanged since 2015.
~~~~~~~~~~
Back in 1980, in his book "Expanded Universe", Robert Heinlein had an article republished and updated; "The Third Millennium Opens" which included this phrase, that applies even more now, forty years later, regarding the USA education system;
"Never have so many been paid so much for so little."

This is the more critical item for concern. Schools have been failing for decades to do what is their main purpose.
This is from May 2014, so can't blame the "pandemic" for this;
EXCERPT:
WASHINGTON — Handing out dismal grades, the Nation’s Report Card says America’s high school seniors lack critical math and reading skills for an increasingly competitive global economy.

Only about one-quarter are performing proficiently or better in math and just 4 in 10 in reading. And they’re not improving, the report says, reinforcing concerns that large numbers of today’s students are unprepared for either college or the workplace.
~~~~~
EXCERPT:
The main National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP), the data source for the indicators below, evaluates fourth-, eighth-, and 12th-grade students’ ability to tackle demanding reading tasks that are more in line with current curricula than the basic skills measured in the NAEP long-term trend assessment (used for the indicators under “Trends in Basic Reading Skills among School-Age Children”). As of 2019, a majority of students at each grade level failed to demonstrate proficiency in reading, math, or science.
~~~~~~~~
The average reading score for high school seniors declined between 2015 and 2019 and remained unchanged in math, while the country's lowest performing seniors saw their scores drop in both subjects.
Overall, just 37% of 12th-graders reached or exceeded the academic preparedness benchmarks for both math and reading that would qualify them for entry-level college courses – a figure unchanged since 2015.
~~~~~~~~~~
Back in 1980, in his book "Expanded Universe", Robert Heinlein had an article republished and updated; "The Third Millennium Opens" which included this phrase, that applies even more now, forty years later, regarding the USA education system;
"Never have so many been paid so much for so little."
In my opinion the children today are just as smart as the children of the 1050s and 1960s when I attended public schools. I had damn good teachers in those days who probably were underpaid when compared to today.

One difference may be discipline in the schools. I understand schools today often are rowdy and even dangerous. It is hard not just to teach but to learn in such an environment.

I was an electronics instructor in the Air Force back in the Vietnam Era. We had good discipline In our classes. If a student stepped out of line we would just notify our brass who would then contact the student‘s commanding officer. The disruptive student would likely end up peeling potatoes at the chow hall or maybe even sent to OCS (Oklahoma Cook School). I never had a single problem student while an instructor.

I was an electronics instructor in the Air Force back in the Vietnam Era. We had good discipline In our classes. If a student stepped out of line we would just notify our brass who would then contact the student‘s commanding officer. The disruptive student would likely end up peeling potatoes at the chow hall or maybe even sent to OCS (Oklahoma Cook School). I never had a single problem student while an instructor
No wonder. How can you compare a military unit with a public school.

No wonder. How can you compare a military unit with a public school.
Perhaps we should do some comparisons to learn lessons.

Military schools work. Public schools are failing. I seriously believe more discipline in public schools would produce better results.

Perhaps we should do some comparisons to learn lessons.

Military schools work. Public schools are failing. I seriously believe more discipline in public schools would produce better results.
The main question is how to achieve this discipline.

Forum List

Back