There but for the grace of God

Againsheila

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2008
Federal Way WA
So there I was, feeling sorry for myself. Bone spurs, lots of pain. Had to get a shot of cortizon and wear an ankle brace and that suppose to work 70% of the time to solve the problem. If it doesn't, surgery. My youngest, low functioning Autism had a bad day last week, the cops were called on him and they took him down, slammed his face into the ground bruising his forehead and cheek, they hand cuffed him. He doesn't even talk, he has no idea what's going on. I'm terrified of what will happen to him when my husband and I are gone, and then I get the news. My friend's husband has colon cancer which has already spread to his liver. Doctors are saying years, not months which is a plus but it really puts my hurts into perspective.

Such heartache in such a short space of time. I'm thinking of you, sweetie, and Foxy will light a candle for you and your family in the Coffee Shop.

It seems like Life is so fragile all over the globe, as if any existence at all, right now, is a lot to expect.

Againsheila, your hurts are valid, too. Others may have worse problems but that doesn't mean yours don't give you grief. Especially worrying about your son, that must be really hard.

Very sorry to hear about your friend's husband, though. I am surprised he is being told he has years. Maybe there is a chance to beat it, then. I hope so.

I am frequently reminded of how lucky I am when I read of the state of life others are currently coping with.

Despite all that I am still quite capable of feeling immensely sorry for myself sometimes.

So sorry for all you are going through. We can be painfully reminded how short life is sometimes. All the best to you.

Best wishes.

I am frequently reminded of how lucky I am when I read of the state of life others are currently coping with.

Despite all that I am still quite capable of feeling immensely sorry for myself sometimes.
Just watch the world news...you'll feel better...and consider yourself lucky to be alive. I can't imagine having my entire family swept away by a tsunami...or my home and all contents burned to the ground in a forest fire...or my legs blown off by a bomb...or my.....

Every day that comes along for me, I am thankful just to be alive and relatively comfortable. Misery is short lived in my mind.

I just lost a friend to pancreatic cancer. It took way longer to kill him than the doctors said it would. A very painful process. Horrible to watch it take down a tough guy like that.

I also know a few autistic kids. Unlike when I was growing up, the school system here integrates them into regular classes with normal kids. The normal kids accepted them as part of the group at a young age, but there are still problems once in a while. The autistic kids freak out every now and then.

Last year, one of them grabbed some scissors and threatened the school principal. Fortunately, the principal is a very kind and understanding man and did not overreact and call in the SWAT team. He handled the kid expertly and all ended well, without police intervention.

I like to make some gadgets for autistic kids. They are called "fidgets" and they are made out of bicycle chain links and keyrings. It turns out not only autistic kids like them, all kids like them. I have had to make scads of them for all the normal kids, too. :lol:

I'll post a picture of some that was on the internet. I did not invent them, but mine have some improvements. The ones that are like the ones in the photo quickly become discombobulated, so I re-worked the ones I made.

There's a tool you can buy at a bike shop to take bike chains apart. They don't cost much. So with a few bucks you can turn a bicycle chain and a bag of key rings into dozens of fidgets.

I give them away all the time.

2n6ztph.jpg

Last edited:
I just lost a friend to pancreatic cancer. It took way longer to kill him than the doctors said it would. A very painful process. Horrible to watch it take down a tough guy like that.

I also know a few autistic kids. Unlike when I was growing up, the school system here integrates them into regular classes with normal kids. The normal kids accepted them as part of the group at a young age, but there are still problems once in a while. The autistic kids freak out every now and then.

Last year, one of them grabbed some scissors and threatened the school principal. Fortunately, the principal is a very kind and understanding man and did not overreact and call in the SWAT team. He handled the kid expertly and all ended well, without police intervention.

I like to make some gadgets for autistic kids. They are called "fidgets" and they are made out of bicycle chain links and keyrings. It turns out not only autistic kids like them, all kids like them. I have had to make scads of them for all the normal kids, too. :lol:

I'll post a picture of some that was on the internet. I did not invent them, but mine have some improvements. The ones that are like the ones in the photo quickly become discombobulated, so I re-worked the ones I made.

There's a tool you can buy at a bike shop to take bike chains apart. They don't cost much. So with a few bucks you can turn a bicycle chain and a bag of key rings into dozens of fidgets.

I give them away all the time.

2n6ztph.jpg
Kudos on the positive interest in autistic children.

Forum List

Back