The world's largest democratic event

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
The logistics needed to support an election involving a billion people is just mind boggling.

---

India, the most populous democracy on the planet, is about to hold elections that will seat a new parliament and prime minister. It will be the largest democratic event in history.
India's election commission is charged with what has been called the world's largest event management exercise, making sure that democracy doesn't falter in the vastness of the numbers.
About 15,000 candidates from 500 political parties are vying for 543 seats in the Lok Sabha, or lower house of Parliament. Those candidates are expected to spend about $5 billion on campaigning. That's second only to the most expensive U.S. presidential campaign -- $7 billion in 2012.
Parliamentary elections in India are held every five years, unless the government is dissolved before that. This year will be India's 16th election since independence in 1947.
The voting begins Monday and the numbers are mind-blowing.

The world's largest democratic event: India begins voting

The logistics needed to support an election involving a billion people is just mind boggling.

---

India, the most populous democracy on the planet, is about to hold elections that will seat a new parliament and prime minister. It will be the largest democratic event in history.
India's election commission is charged with what has been called the world's largest event management exercise, making sure that democracy doesn't falter in the vastness of the numbers.
About 15,000 candidates from 500 political parties are vying for 543 seats in the Lok Sabha, or lower house of Parliament. Those candidates are expected to spend about $5 billion on campaigning. That's second only to the most expensive U.S. presidential campaign -- $7 billion in 2012.
Parliamentary elections in India are held every five years, unless the government is dissolved before that. This year will be India's 16th election since independence in 1947.

And they require voter ID Cards!

Go to Voter ID Card Online | How to Apply for Voter ID Card

See anybody ranting, raving, or otherwise being jerks over this? :eusa_whistle:

---

I am FOR voter-ID.

Voter ID?
I'm also for that.
Australia is still on the "vote early, vote often" no ID system. [although in reality not many people illegaly do so.]

You ever tried to get a State Picture ID in Florida?

Fraud is not easy when you have to present a State Picture ID.

I believe it's up to the Counties in Florida.

Last edited:

Voter ID's in India are a national ID card that have become highly inefficient and cannot be authenticated and are used for fraudulent purposes.

You should love this, your butt-buddy wouldn't be in the White House without fraud.

This is, of course, a lie, and has nothing to do with the OP.

How's that anal sex coming along for you, buddy?

CNN published this little summary which lists 11 interesting facts about Indian democratic process.

---

(CNN) -- India's general election, the largest democratic exercise in history, begins Monday. Voters will elect 543 members to the lower house of parliament, which will then select the country's next prime minister. Here are 11 things you need to know about the world's biggest election:

1. Its massive scale. More than 814 million voters are eligible to cast ballots over the next month to elect the lower house of parliament, or Lok Sabha, up from 713 million voters in 2009. The Indian voting pool is larger than the total populations of the United States and Western Europe combined.

Given the infrastructure in India, an election of this scale can't be done in a day. Voting will take place in nine blocks over the next five weeks, to allow election authorities to tackle the daunting logistics of operating 930,000 polling stations. The vote counting will be carried out and concluded on May 16.

2. It's the economy, stupid. India's flagging economic performance is the election's central issue. After registering Chinese-style growth rates of 8% to 10% in the 2000s, India's economy slowed sharply in 2012. GDP growth now remains below 5%, coupled with persistently high inflation.

Indian politicians and academics remain divided over whether the country should focus its energy on first reigniting growth or on alleviating poverty. Even after a decade of rapid growth, India is still home to one in three of the world's poorest people. Unlike other countries, India's poor tend to vote in higher numbers than the rich.

Opinion: 11 things to know on election in India, the world's biggest - CNN.com

Communism is alive and well in India, must be, since rwr's in the USA think all democrats are commies here....

That Voter ID seems too big.

ElectionsYoungVoter2014.jpg

http://www.forbes.com/sites/saritha...ralleled-election-demographic-and-the-fingie/

Last edited:

If you mean the plastic card on the right, that would be just about the size of a Passport page one card, just the laminate around it is big.

I am trying to figure out what the heck is on the left side. The one on the right is Voter ID card as you suggested and now that you mentioned it, it does not seem too big.

If my guess is right, that piece of paper on the left is her notification that was sent about which polling place she was supposed to go to. In Germany, German voters receive a postcard about three weeks before the election, telling them where their polling place is and they have to show up with both the postcard and their ID. Very clean system.

:)

If you mean the plastic card on the right, that would be just about the size of a Passport page one card, just the laminate around it is big.

I am trying to figure out what the heck is on the left side. The one on the right is Voter ID card as you suggested and now that you mentioned it, it does not seem too big.

If my guess is right, that piece of paper on the left is her notification that was sent about which polling place she was supposed to go to. In Germany, German voters receive a postcard about three weeks before the election, telling them where their polling place is and they have to show up with both the postcard and their ID. Very clean system.

[MENTION=46168]Statistikhengst[/MENTION]

Thank you! That does make sense. But I think in a way, they are not very conducive to the spirit of democracy for it inhibits the process. I think voter registration is enough and anything beyond is just counter productive.

[MENTION=46168]Statistikhengst[/MENTION]

Thank you! That does make sense. But I think in a way, they are not very conducive to the spirit of democracy for it inhibits the process. I think voter registration is enough and anything beyond is just counter productive.

I repectfully disagree. I think voter registration AND voter ID is the most self-explanatory thing in the world concerning elections. Adults should know how to register and how to get proper ID. This serves all of us, for it eliminates practically all possible fraud and keeps elections fair and clean.

A lot of people in my country think that Democrats are against voter ID, but I am strongly for it, because I see how easily it works in a foreign country like Germany.

I also hold the opinion that taking the time to register and also to get ID shows that a voter is serious about voting and will also take time to actually study candidates and issues, which for my way of thinking is far more conducive to Democracy.

That's my take on the issue.

Forum List

Back