The weirdest news of the day...

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
Fox News Supports Fahrenheit 9/11, and hell hath officially frozen.

From IMDB:

"Miramax Co-chairman Harvey Weinstein has praised Fox News Channel for becoming his "unlikeliest of allies" in getting word out about Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11. Interviewed by Variety editor Peter Bart, Weinstein identified Fox News Chairman Roger Ailes as the biggest media supporter of the film -- even though he disagreed with its content. Appearing on AMC's Shoot Out on Sunday, Weinstein said, "I mean when he sees this movie -- I don't want to be responsible for a cardiac bill -- but on a First Amendment issue, it blew his mind. So the best coverage we had wasn't ABC, CBS or NBC -- even Michael Moore couldn't believe it -- there's Fox News. A movie in [Ailes's] mind that couldn't be distributed or had to fight for distribution, just was un-American. He'd rather say, 'Bring it on, we'll deal with that, but you have a right to show it.'" Today's (Monday) Los Angeles Times quoted a Fox News spokesman as confirming that Weinstein's quotes accurately represented Ailes's thinking. By contrast, during an interview with Moore on Friday, NBC newsman Matt Lauer appeared to strongly support Disney's decision not to distribute the film. He told Moore: "They paid you. The check's cleared, and they can look at it and say, you know what, this is not the kind of movie we want to distribute right now. ... It's their right." Moore agreed, but pointed out that with fewer and fewer media outlets existing in America as a result of mergers, they can now limit the number of voices that can be heard."

I really respect this Ailes guy, that's what freedom's all about: whether you agree with someone's opinion or not, just supporting their right to have it.

Originally posted by Dan
that's what freedom's all about: whether you agree with someone's opinion or not, just supporting their right to have it.

:clap:

Good thing those KKK marches don't go past my house, though...

Good thing those KKK marches don't go past my house, though...

True, but despite what most on the board would say, I don't think Michael Moore is quite as dangerous as the Klan. I mean, I support their right to have their opinions or whatever, but once they start condoning violence or hate towards other people, that's when it stops.

Originally posted by Dan
True, but despite what most on the board would say, I don't think Michael Moore is quite as dangerous as the Klan. I mean, I support their right to have their opinions or whatever, but once they start condoning violence or hate towards other people, that's when it stops.

Hmm... is free speech that promotes hate legal? Inciting violence certainly isn't, but isn't promoting hate what groups like the KKK are all about? And to think that David Duke came close to being a Governor...:confused:

Yeah, this is where the whole free speech/first amendment thing gets tricky. I really have no answer to that, other than to say, I'm a strong supporter of free speech, so I guess whether I like it or not, I do believe that groups like the KKK should be allowed to exist. That said, I don't think groups like that are doing anything but destroying our country.

Forum List

Back