The Virus in Washington DC

Is that how you judge people? On how they look? Hmmmmmmmmm...very interesting revealation.

They look no more crazier or kookier than these people....whom you embrace as fellow liberals supporting your views!!!

OK. I give up. It is no wonder that Washington runs roughshod over us. We are not capable of having a reasoned debate without silliness.

I should have known better than to try.
Do you support the principle of judging people by their looks Cali Girl? I think not. When you see the thoughts of people revealed you understand why they hold the opinions they have. Part of the problem is that people are set in their ways and there's nothing anyone can do. If the Tea Party Movement organized as a viable political party I guarantee you the left would be on an attack mission that would make the whole Palin thing look like a day at DisneyLand....VaYank right out in front screaming how stupid they look. That's fine. It's his right to protest any way he wants as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of our fellow citizens and I fully support that.

You will find no converts here or any message board.

Where have I said I want converts? Conversation, yes. Converts, no.

I had hoped that some of us could rise about the stupidity of the day to day whining on here and actually find out WHY the other person thinks the way they do. If we understand why someone hold's the opinion they do, we can seek to inform and discuss and maybe some of us will learn something and maybe some of us will change our views because of what we learn.

Continually biting when someone uses terms you don't like achieves nothing. That's all I was saying. It was unnecessary for VaYank to call TEA partiers kooks, but responding by posting a bunch of pics of more kooks doesn't inform him, it just inflames.

I explained to him that he is wrong in thinking that the parties started after Obama came in, whether he chooses to confirm that by researching the movement is entirely his choice. All I can do is to provide information and suggest that people educate themselves on what they don't know.

It seems to me that that works more effectively than posting pics. However, if this thread is gonna turn into yet another partisan bitching session, have at it.

But back to MY way of thinking....the only "doable" solution is to get a viable third party, let it lead to a fourth and so on. At some point, we will dilute the system to where parties are simply irrelevant.

You're mistaken. Look at country's with multiple partys...they have to form shakey coalitions and once one gets pissed off the government falls apart...I don't think the answer is 50 new political partys dividing up the Nation further than it already is...that's eurotrash style governing and our ancestors came HERE to get away from all that stuff. Why do so many people want to be just like Europe?

The answer is getting the right politicians into office and STOP the politics of division, smear and destruction

And how long has it been since this has happened with out existing two party system?
But if we are going to look forward, we have to stop worrying about how long it has been since it last occured and start looking to ways to return to it.

But back to MY way of thinking....the only "doable" solution is to get a viable third party, let it lead to a fourth and so on. At some point, we will dilute the system to where parties are simply irrelevant.

You're mistaken. Look at country's with multiple partys...they have to form shakey coalitions and once one gets pissed off the government falls apart...I don't think the answer is 50 new political partys dividing up the Nation further than it already is...that's eurotrash style governing and our ancestors came HERE to get away from all that stuff. Why do so many people want to be just like Europe?

The answer is getting the right politicians into office and STOP the politics of division, smear and destruction

And how long has it been since this has happened with out existing two party system?

As a sustained operation of our government? Never....but there have been spurts here and there where we were all in sync....Democrats and Republicans working together for the good of the country. It all went to hell in the 90's. There was a fundamental shift in the way we have chosen our politicians and the way they campaigned. It has been all down hill since with a few exceptions in the late 90's and a brief period after 9/11

You would have to stop the k street types and end the world speaking tours after holding office.Passing bills for special interest dont just get reelection money , they pay once the whores leave office in big ways when no one is looking any more.

Of course, one of the best things that could happen to help this along would be for some of the media to step up and start playing 'honest broker' too.

If we had a few media voices who would to decent, honest, investigative journalism and start naming names and helping the citizens to hold politicians accountable - in a non-partisan fashion - that would be a seriously big help.

That is PRECISELY what I mean. IF this movement is serious and has as much support as some on this board would like to believe, then why not?

That would go counter to the spirit and intent of the movement. The movement's intent is not to make a new party or make/break an existing party.

It is to remind the politicians that we are not controlled by the 2 party system but that we the people are the ones in charge and the ones who have the power.

PLYMCO.....please reread what you wrote, and explain it again. It makes NO sense to me.

Becoming a political party would go counter to the spirit and intent of the movement. The movement's intent is not to make a new party. It is also not to make/break an existing party.

The tea party movement exists to remind the politicians that we the people are not controlled by the 2 party system. That in fact we are the ones who control the system not the politicians.

Of course, one of the best things that could happen to help this along would be for some of the media to step up and start playing 'honest broker' too.

If we had a few media voices who would to decent, honest, investigative journalism and start naming names and helping the citizens to hold politicians accountable - in a non-partisan fashion - that would be a seriously big help.

I don't blame people for mischaracterizing and not understanding what the tea parties are all about considering all the lies and misrepresentation in the media of the tea parties .

Of course there are going to be issues that we don't find common ground on. That is the point of having different political parties.

But..... I would be prepared to bet that most of the smart posters would, in an ideal world, want to stop the corrupt practices of our system. In order to do that, we have got to stop considering ourselves as 'democrat' or 'republican'.... (fortunately I don't anyway) but those within the parties need to be prepared to make some hard choices to tell Washington that we've gone as far as we are prepared to go - as a country - with regard to forcing Washington to clean up.

In order to force change, we have to stop voting for a party. Either party.

True...but if we stop voting we defeat one of the basic rights of all Americans. All you have to have is one politician promise you a handout if your poor and you'll vote for them...the rest of what they do is for themselves and their own agrandizement...to find people who will NOT be at the beck and call of lobbyists is, at this point in our history, improbable. Laws would have to be passed and I don't see that happening any time soon.

I am not, for one second, suggesting that we stop voting. I am suggesting that we stop voting for the "same old shit, different day" politicians.... unless that politician stands up and tells us exactly what he has done that was not in the best interests of his constituents. Otherwise, I think we should all start voting 'independent'. Send more non partisan politicians to Washington, kick out the incumbents - no matter which party they represent. That might tell Washington that 'WE SURROUND YOU".

I agree with your points. One has to take this fact into consideration Cali Girl. The electorate has different levels of education and they have a different set of values. They may want complacency and the status quo...that's where they're comfortable. People are very resistent to change especially when it affects their pocketbook.

That is PRECISELY what I mean. IF this movement is serious and has as much support as some on this board would like to believe, then why not?

That would go counter to the spirit and intent of the movement. The movement's intent is not to make a new party or make/break an existing party.

It is to remind the politicians that we are not controlled by the 2 party system but that we the people are the ones in charge and the ones who have the power.

PLYMCO.....please reread what you wrote, and explain it again. It makes NO sense to me.

I answered you above but I was re-reading this post and a thought came into my head. The fact that what I said makes no sense to you really exposes why you dont understand the tea party people and how its so easy for you to mischaracterize the tea parties all the time.

Im glad you posted that insight as it has softened my view of you in this area a lot.

Forum List

Back