The Virginia House passes "personhood" bill

This bill will outlaw birth control and abortion.

You repeat yourself. "Birth control" and "abortion" are reduntant terms for some women.

Since millions of women have used abortion as their birth control, this is actually a factual statement as long as it is understood that one form of birth control (abortion) would be outlawed, and not all forms of birth control.

Besides lushbo and baby huey beck, what PROOF do you have of this?

Fact is, 2/3 of all abortions are medically necessary and are NOT the choice of the woman.

It always amazes me that some people really do seem to believe that women WANT abortions. Or choose abortions lightly and easily.

They do not.

as to your statement in bold. it may be true. it may not. it is irrelevant. what is relevant is that GOVERNMENT has no right to impede a woman's dominion over her own body for a certain amount of time during the pregnancy because the governmental interest doesn't exceed the woman's until a certain point in time.

but i do love all the "small government conservatives" who are just peachy keen with government involving itself in the most intimate of decisions.

Well a lot of people didn't like the Guberment going after smokers and taxing the shit out them...which most of you here cheer.

If its the case of rape or mothers life,ill support abortion only under those terms only.otherwise,im prolife totally.

Oh guud freaking gawd. SHUT UP and THINK.

I swear, reading your posts is enough to make anyone believe in retroactive birth control because you don't have a friggin clue.

How many babies have you given birth to?

As soon as you can say you have gotten pregnant, then and only then are you entitled to an opinion on this issue.

That illogical nonsense is nothing but an empty, meaningless lefty slogan no matter how many times you repeat it.

Well a lot of people didn't like the Guberment going after smokers and taxing the shit out them...which most of you here cheer.

don't look at me when you say that. i'm a reformed smoker. i hated being forced to stand in the cold and i've always thought, at least in terms of restaurants and bars, that it should be the choice of the owner as to whether he ran a smoking or non-smoking establishment.

i'm consistent that way. go figure.

The Republican-led House of Delegates gave preliminary approval Monday to a so-called personhood bill , despite strenuous opposition by Democrats who argued that the broad measure could prohibit birth control.

The bill provides that “unborn children at every stage of development enjoy all the rights, privileges, and immunities available to other persons, citizens, and residents of the commonwealth, subject only to the laws and constitutions of Virginia and the United States, precedents of the United States Supreme Court, and provisions to the contrary in the statutes of the commonwealth.”

The bill was introduced by Del. Bob Marshall (R-Prince William), one of the most outspoken legislators on abortion issues and a candidate for U.S. Senate this year.

Similar legislation passed the House last year, but died in the Senate, which was controlled by Democrats. Supporters hope that the Senate, now led by the GOP, will approve the bill this year, but its fate is still unclear.

Marshall said his bill, modeled after legislation in Missouri, would not affect birth control, miscarriages or abortions but would affect the way that courts define a person. For example, parents could receive damages for the death of a fetus in a wrongful death lawsuit.

“To claim using birth control will get you in trouble with this statue is simply false,’’ Marshall said. “It does not have the affect of criminalizing birth control. This does not directly effect abortion.’’

Critics disagree.

“This bill requires every single code section in Virginia that uses the word ‘person’ to apply to a fetus,” Del. Jennifer McClellan (D-Richmond) said. “That opens families and doctors to a wide variety of criminal and civil lawsuits for health-care decisions not only in cases of unwanted pregnancies, but every pregnancy and even miscarriage.”

The House rejected a floor amendment by Del. Vivian Watts (D-Fairfax) that would have ensured that contraception would remain legal.

Virginia House passes ‘personhood’ bill - Virginia Politics - The Washington Post

Aww, shucks. People's lives might get more complicated. Why is it leftist twits never worry about that when THEIR legislation is complicating people's lives?

And by the way, what kind of uneducated simpleton becomes a professional writer and doesn't know the difference between "effect" and "affect"? What kind of newspaper hires a simpleton like that? Apparently, the Washington Post does.

Yeah, cause MLK was all about cosying up to racists. That old canard about Sanger wanting to do away with black people has been proven to be hyperbole. She did, under the influences of her time, agree with a portion of eugenics, as to the sterilization of the profoundly retarded, but she also rejected the Nazi application of the concept, and worked in Harlem to help women retain control over their reproductive health.

Only the reactionary and radical right would find fault with someone who helped women and families stay healthy both physically and financially.

Okey dokey.

Maggie was a serious member of the American Eugenics Society.

She truly believed in removing the unfit from the world. Unfit to Maggie included blacks.

Check out a woman from hell called Dorothy Brush. One of Maggies best partners. Mandatory sterilization was her calling to drive for.

American Eugenics Society : Leon Whitney was the executive secretary

The prominent list of original founders of sponsors of The American Eugenics Society each had some direct relationship with either Wickliffe Draper of The Pioneer Fund or Andrew Preston founder of The Boston Fruit Company, later United Fruit in New Orleans, LA:

In 1930 many of the wealthiest people in the world were members of the American Eugenics Society.

It earliest members and sponsors included:

J. P. Morgan, Jr., chairman, U. S. Steel, who handled British contracts in the United States for food and munitions during World War I. Wickliffe Draper used his J. P. Morgan Trust Account to fund The Mississippi Sovereignty Commission and its activities.

Mrs. Mary Duke Biddle, tobacco fortune heiress whose family founded Duke University.

Cleveland H. and Cleveland E. Dodge and their wives, who used some of the huge fortune that Phelps Dodge & Company made on copper mines and other metals to support eugenics.

Robert Garrett, whose family had amassed a fortune through banking in Maryland and the B&O railroad, who helped finance two international eugenics congresses attended by Harry Laughlin and Wickliffe Draper.

Miss E. B. Scripps, whose wealth came the Scrips-Howard newspaper chain and from United Press (later UPI).

Dorothy H. Brush, Planned Parenthood activist, whose wealth came from Charles Francis Brush (1849–1929), who invented the arc lamp for street lights and founded the Brush Electric Company. Draper's version of Planned Parenthood was to pass the Involuntary Sterilization laws in 15 different U.S. States.:eusa_whistle:

Margaret Sanger, also from Planned Parenthood, who used the wealth of one of one of her husbands, Noah Slee, to promote her work. Slee made his fortune from the familiar household product, 3-In-One Oil.

holy crap, there's the one we're talking about, I wondered if the text you copied and pasted would get to her. Meanwhile, it's polite to provide a link to your source, and to wrap quote tags around copy and paste jobs.

The other Finance Committee members included:
Leon F. Whitney, the son of Eli Whitney inventor of the Cotton Gin who was the Chairman. The Draper Looms in Hopedale, MA were used to spin the raw cotton harvested by the Eli Whitney cotton gins into fabrics, cloth and yarn.
Frank L. Babbott, the well-known philanthropist and educator.
Madison Grant, later of The Pioneer Fund, founded by Wickliffe Draper following the 1936 Olympics when his namesake, Foy Draper, was edged out for Olympic glory by Jesse Owens and Ralph Metcalf.
Mrs. Helen Hartley Jenkins and John H. Kellogg who started the Kellogg's Cereal Company.
John Kellogg and The Race Betterment Foundation

Mandatory sterilization.

Yeah Maggie's a champ. She didn't just back abortions. She loved sterilization of the poor and the feeble minded.

Don't you get the fact that until the Nazis took it away and over the top California was like #1 in sterilizations?

So, in an organization as large as this, each member, according to you (and/or your unnamed source) is culpable and in 100% agreement with every thing each and every other member believed. Guilt by association :eusa_hand:

I don't think MLK would have accepted his Margaret Sanger award from PP (notice I linked his speech in a former post, and wrapped quote tags arund the copied text of Coretta's introductory remarks), if Sanger was what people like you make her out to be. You'll have to excuse me if I take the leader of the Civil Rights movements' word on the matter over your ill-considered opinion.

Do you make the same sort of excuses for members of the Klan, one wonders? Hey, today's members can't be held responsible for the crazy ideas of the people who founded the organization, right?

What proof would you like to offer that Planned Parenthood has EVER changed its attitudes and ideologies from their beginning?

You repeat yourself. "Birth control" and "abortion" are reduntant terms for some women.

Since millions of women have used abortion as their birth control, this is actually a factual statement as long as it is understood that one form of birth control (abortion) would be outlawed, and not all forms of birth control.

Fact is, 2/3 of all abortions are medically necessary and are NOT the choice of the woman.

It always amazes me that some people really do seem to believe that women WANT abortions. Or choose abortions lightly and easily.

They do not.

as to your statement in bold. it may be true. it may not. it is irrelevant. what is relevant is that GOVERNMENT has no right to impede a woman's dominion over her own body for a certain amount of time during the pregnancy because the governmental interest doesn't exceed the woman's until a certain point in time.

but i do love all the "small government conservatives" who are just peachy keen with government involving itself in the most intimate of decisions.

I couldn't agree more. That really is the crux of this - This is the decision of the woman and no one else has the right to intrude on it.

If we let them, the R's will add laws on top of laws until they control every aspect of our lives. How long before each sex act has to be logged and taxed? Don't scoff ... Who would have thought that any adult of the 21st century would actually believe that contraception causes sex instead of the other way around? That's what Santorum has said.

As for smoking , I'm also a reformed smoker and I don't really care if people smoke as long as I don't have to share their smoke or the healthy care expenses. Beyond that its a little disturbing that anyone could equate smoking with contraception and/or abortion. :cuckoo:

They do not.

I couldn't agree more. That really is the crux of this - This is the decision of the woman and no one else has the right to intrude on it.

If we let them, the R's will add laws on top of laws until they control every aspect of our lives. How long before each sex act has to be logged and taxed? Don't scoff ... Who would have thought that any adult of the 21st century would actually believe that contraception causes sex instead of the other way around? That's what Santorum has said.

As for smoking , I'm also a reformed smoker and I don't really care if people smoke as long as I don't have to share their smoke or the healthy care expenses. Beyond that its a little disturbing that anyone could equate smoking with contraception and/or abortion. :cuckoo:

i just find it bizarre that we're arguing about things like contraception and abortion as if they're political issues. absurd. but puritanism has always run deep in certain parts of this country.

i don't even mind participating in health care expenses for smokers. i figure we've all got things that make us "at risk" for something or other.... whether it's smoking, weight or just plain genetics. everyone dies of something.

and i agree, it's pretty bizarre for people to rely on 80 year old data and attitudes as if they support their position. *shrug*

Last edited:
The Republican-led House of Delegates gave preliminary approval Monday to a so-called personhood bill , despite strenuous opposition by Democrats who argued that the broad measure could prohibit birth control.

The bill provides that “unborn children at every stage of development enjoy all the rights, privileges, and immunities available to other persons, citizens, and residents of the commonwealth, subject only to the laws and constitutions of Virginia and the United States, precedents of the United States Supreme Court, and provisions to the contrary in the statutes of the commonwealth.”

The bill was introduced by Del. Bob Marshall (R-Prince William), one of the most outspoken legislators on abortion issues and a candidate for U.S. Senate this year.

Similar legislation passed the House last year, but died in the Senate, which was controlled by Democrats. Supporters hope that the Senate, now led by the GOP, will approve the bill this year, but its fate is still unclear.

Marshall said his bill, modeled after legislation in Missouri, would not affect birth control, miscarriages or abortions but would affect the way that courts define a person. For example, parents could receive damages for the death of a fetus in a wrongful death lawsuit.

“To claim using birth control will get you in trouble with this statue is simply false,’’ Marshall said. “It does not have the affect of criminalizing birth control. This does not directly effect abortion.’’

Critics disagree.

“This bill requires every single code section in Virginia that uses the word ‘person’ to apply to a fetus,” Del. Jennifer McClellan (D-Richmond) said. “That opens families and doctors to a wide variety of criminal and civil lawsuits for health-care decisions not only in cases of unwanted pregnancies, but every pregnancy and even miscarriage.”

The House rejected a floor amendment by Del. Vivian Watts (D-Fairfax) that would have ensured that contraception would remain legal.

Virginia House passes ‘personhood’ bill - Virginia Politics - The Washington Post

If someone murders a woman that is pregnant--the perp is often charged with double homicide--because the perp killed two people not one.

I think that is what this bill is in reference too & nothing more. Women are protected by the U.S. constitution to get an abortion, & if this bill does anything it will probably get women actually using birth control contraceptives so they don't get pregnant. Wouldn't that be a great thing for a change?

AND NO ONE--NO STATE---would BAN the use of contraceptives--with the exception of Rick Santorum--the knuckle dragging Neanderthol.

Last edited:
This bill will outlaw birth control and abortion.

I posted the proof 4 pages ago, fool!

Reasons given for having abortions in the United States

Only 3 percent were for the health of the mother, and 3 percent for fetal health problems. Read it and weep.

A total lie. How hypocritical is it to ask for proof of a statement for which proof was provided, and then make a completely false statement like this?

They do not.

It amazes me that people MAKE SHIT UP in the face of actual facts in front of their face.

Last edited:
This is unbelievable.

Even the people of Mississippi rejected this.

Ironically, just a few hours earlier today, some conservative on this forum told me that no one on the right opposes birth control.

Rick Santorum--the ONLY NEANDERTHAL candidate-- stated that "States" under the 10th amendment have the right to ban birth control contraceptives. This guy needs to be kicked through the goal posts of life back to the 17th century.

I am a tea party--fiscal conservative--and I say no STATE has a right to do that. 99.9% of other fiscal conservativeswould agree with me.

No state has the right to interfere between the intimacy between a man and woman or husband and wife--in their choice to have a baby or not.
Rick Santorum: States Should Have Power To Ban Birth Control, Sodomy

Last edited:

I posted the proof 3 pages ago, fool!

Reasons given for having abortions in the United States

Only 3 percent were for the health of the mother, and 3 percent for fetal health problems. Read it and weep.

A total lie. How hypocritical is it to ask for proof of a statement for which proof was provided, and then make a completely false statement like this?

They do not.

It amazes me that people MAKE SHIT UP in the face of actual facts in front of their face.

They're right. If you look at the birth rate in this country--young and single women are IN FACT giving birth--and opting out of abortion. In fact the rate of single mothers in this country has sky-rocked over the last 2 decades. They said NO to abortion when they could have easily gotten one.
http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2011/tables/11s1336.pdf

Last edited:
Wow. The "this bill outlaws birth control" is proven to be a completely made up lie, but does that stop them? No. They just carry on like nothing happened and pass on a whole NEW lie that 2/3 of all abortions are medically necessary.

Even someone who is brain damaged can tell that is a lie on the very face of it.

The blatant dishonesty by the pro-choice faction in this topic is amazing. It completely undermines the credibility of pro-choicers.

This is unbelievable.

Even the people of Mississippi rejected this.

Ironically, just a few hours earlier today, some conservative on this forum told me that no one on the right opposes birth control.

Rick Santorum--the ONLY NEANDERTHAL candidate-- stated that "States" under the 10th amendment have the right to ban birth control contraceptives. This guy needs to be kicked through the goal posts of life back to the 17th century.

I am a tea party--fiscal conservative--and I say no STATE has a right to do that. 99.9% of other fiscal conservativeswould agree with me.

No state has the right to interfere between the intimacy between a man and woman or husband and wife--in their choice to have a baby or not.
Rick Santorum: States Should Have Power To Ban Birth Control, Sodomy

You'll be thrilled then to hear that on MSNBC this morning someone billed as Tea Party leader/representative or somesuch said that this birth control thing might help the Tea Party regain some traction.

Forum List

Back