The Unprecedented Law Giving Gun Makers And Dealers Immunity

Status
Not open for further replies.
An unstable person used this on me several years ago...I sure didn't file a suit against the company.
View attachment 23421

a mentally unstable person might find this attractive as a killing weapon:

images

Perhaps we should make knives illegal.

Frankly, I've never met a Japanese who was racist as most White trash Americans are...

and they'd probably have more reason to feel superior to this guy.

You obviously haven't met any Japanese people.

He obviously hasn't met very many people at all. My guess is that he lives in his parents basement, and hasn't left the house since 1951.

My guess is they don't let you out of the loony bin very often...

No, but you can see how a mentally unstable person would be attracted to this as a killing machine, right?

There's not telling what mentally unstable people are attracted to. We don't organize society around the predilections of the mentally ill.

But that's okay, man. I feel for you gun nutters. It's kind of like when people told the smokers they weren't putting up with their nonsense anymore and made them all smoke outside.

Inhaling other people's cigarette smoke is a violation of my rights. Me owning a gun doesn't violate your rights in any way whatsoever, no matter what kind of grip or magazine it has.

Actually, it does when you guys don't keep them out of the hands of crazy people... which is the point.

Every other country restricts firearm ownership and doesn't have the problems we have.

If you guys can police yourselves, fine, have at it. You seem to show no interest in doing so, so let's bankrupt the gun makers.

Actually, it does when you guys don't keep them out of the hands of crazy people... which is the point.

Who is "you guys?"

Every other country restricts firearm ownership and doesn't have the problems we have.

Obviously not true. I already pointed out the example of Mexico. It has strict gun control laws and 5 times the murder rate of the United States.

Let's compare the USA and Jamaica. the later has 1/10 the number of guns owned per capita vs the Unites States, but it has a murder rate 15 times that of the United States.

Your claim is bogus.

If you guys can police yourselves, fine, have at it. You seem to show no interest in doing so, so let's bankrupt the gun makers.

Policing others isn't my job, asshole. Bankrupting the gun manufacturers is a blatant attack on the 2nd amendment. That isn't going to fly either.

Time to repeal that shit.

If you build a car that is specifically designed to run over and kill large groups of people, the car has no other practical use, then that car company would be sued for wrongful death.

If you sold a rat poison designed to look and taste like hot dogs, the argument that you are just empowering consumers to keep their congressional rep in line would not hold up in court.

If firework companies supported methods to modify their pyrotechnic thrill items into bombs for killing, then they would be sued.

Time to repeal this shit.

:rolleyes: Just goes to show that idiots are born every minute. Hazel was born in one of those minutes.

you have just insulted idiots by comparing them to hairynut

shame on you

By Sergio Munoz

As major media outlets report on gun violence prevention strategies in the wake of the Newtown tragedy, they have ignored a controversial law that shields the firearms industry from being held accountable.

In 2005, former President George W. Bush signed into law the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act - the "No. 1 legislative priority of the National Rifle Association" - which immunized gun makers and dealers from civil lawsuits for the crimes committed with the products they sell, a significant barrier to a comprehensive gun violence prevention strategy. Despite its recent reporting on proposed efforts to prevent another tragedy like the one in Newtown, major newspapers and evening television news have not explained this significant legal immunity, according to a Media Matters search of Nexis.

Faced with an increasing number of successful lawsuits over reckless business practices that funneled guns into the hands of criminals, the 2005 immunity law was a victory for the NRA, which "lobbied lawmakers intensely" to shield gun makers and dealers from personal injury law. As described by Erwin Chemerinsky, a leading constitutional scholar and the Dean of the University of California-Irvine School of Law, by eliminating this route for victims to hold the gun industry accountable in court, the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act was a complete deviation from basic "principles of products liability":

The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act is also commonly referred to as the "Gun Protection Act." The law dismissed all current claims against gun manufacturers in both federal and state courts and pre-empted future claims. The law could not be clearer in stating its purpose: "To prohibit causes of action against manufacturers, distributors, dealers, and importers of firearms or ammunition products, and their trade associations, for the harm caused solely by the criminal or unlawful misuse of firearm products or ammunition products by others when the product functioned as designed and intended." There are some narrow exceptions for which liability is allowed, such as actions against transferors of firearms who knew the firearm would be used in drug trafficking or a violent crime by a party directly harmed by that conduct.

It is outrageous that a product that exists for no purpose other than to kill has an exemption from state tort liability. Allowing tort liability would force gun manufacturers to pay some of the costs imposed by their products, increase the prices for assault weapons and maybe even cause some manufacturers to stop making them.​

More: Why Isn't The Media Discussing The Unprecedented Law Giving Gun Makers And Dealers Immunity? | Blog | Media Matters for America
So you want them held responsible for what someone else chooses to do with the gun so if you choose to get behind the wheel and drive 90 mph lose control crash and kill someone the automaker should be held liable for making a car that goes that fast? After all when you get right down to it does anyone need a car or truck that goes over 55 mph?

Why shouldn't gun makers be held liable like other manufacturers?

Because, moron, if gun manufacturers can be held liable for the illegal actions of others then every car used in the commision of a crime exposes the can manufacturer, the car dealer, the original car owner to frivolous lawsuits that would destroy this country.

Intelligent people figured this out a long time ago.

Clearly you have a lot of evolving to do.

Because, moron, if gun manufacturers can be held liable for the illegal actions of others then every car used in the commision of a crime exposes the can manufacturer, the car dealer, the original car owner to frivolous lawsuits that would destroy this country.

Clearly you don't know what was going on before that law was passed to protect gun makers and dealers from liability.

Clearly you don't know what was going on before that law was passed to protect gun makers and dealers from liability.

Of course I do. You're just not smart enough to figure out the unintended consequences of your little wet dream. Smart people allready have. Imagine a world where nothing is produced because if it is your company you will almost certainly be sued out of existence when some idiot lawyer decides there was a connection between your product and some criminal activity.

I know your ability to comprehend simple things is limited, but do give it a try.

Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act is NOT Shariah compliant, firearms manufacturers should be sue of all assets & jailed, there equipment should be destroyed.
Then all guns should be banned and confiscated from the general public, if we as Americans are serious about being sensitive to Islam and Shariah Law, the course of action above must be done to accommodate Muslims here at home and abroad.
Shariah compliant gun laws must be the first order of business if we are to be truly accommodating to Islam here in America and welcome our Muslim American counterparts to contribute to American culture.
I am calling upon the President to take action NOW.
Guns are bad M-kay............. they need to be banned & confiscated.

Guy, fact is, -

You put on one side lawyers from the Cerberus Group, the parent company of the company that made the Bushmaster

and on the other side 20 groups of parents who lost children to Lanza's Rampage...

Guess who a jury of 12 people is gonna find for. Come on. Guess. You can do it.

Please don't try to pretend this is about anything other than putting these assholes out of business. A few multi-billion dollar findings against them, they won't be so in love with the bizarre NRA interpretation of the 2nd Amendment.

No need to go in front of a jury, the gun maufacturer broke no laws, either civil or criminal. Like I said, talk to me when you think suing GM and Budweiser for a drunk killing somone in an accident. As for what a jury would say, they would obviously say the manufacturer had as much to do with lanza killing those kids as Ginsu had for OJ killing his wife, none.

Then you won't have a problem putting the issue in teh courts, then, if you are so confident in your legal position? Oh I have a big, big problem with frivolous law suits. That's one of the major problems with our judiical system in this nation.

Great. Let's repeal this goofy law.

Incidently, GM makes innovations every year to improve safetly. The gun makers put in innovations every year to make their products more deadly. Really, lol? How do you make rifle "more dangerous"? ALL the safety innovations in the world won't make a car any safer if it is used in an unlawful or reckless manner, so I say again, do you think it's a good idea to sue GM when a drunk kills someone driving one of their cars? Do you think it's a good idea to sue T-Fal for the tens of thousands who die of ebesity each year because they supplied the frying pans these fat asses used to kill themselves with?

If you think a jury is going to let these assholes off the hook, you're deluded. I don't think it will ever go to a jury because they broke NO laws, lanza broke the law, not the gun manufacturer and yeah, I think even if it did go to a jury, honest decent people would realize that the manufacturer isn't at fault at all. Not everyone is a rabid moron who thinks you blame the product on the behavior of the criminal.

And not surprising, the Cerberus group is trying to dump it's gun making subsidary faster than a girlfriend with Herpes...

Cerberus to sell Bushmaster gunmaker after Newtown shooting - Dec. 18, 2012

Private equity firm Cerberus has put U.S. firearms maker Freedom Group up for sale following Friday's killing of 20 children and 6 adults at the Sandy Hook school shooting in Connecticut.
Freedom Group includes Bushmaster, maker of the rifle used in the shooting at the school in Newtown. Cerberus bought Bushmaster in 2006 before adding another 10 makers of firearms, ammunition and accessories to the group.

"It is apparent that the Sandy Hook tragedy was a watershed event that has raised the national debate on gun control to an unprecedented level," Cerberus Capital Management said in a statement.

That's "Corporate Weasel" for "Getting out before the Shit hits the fan"

Who is "you guys?"

Obviously not true. I already pointed out the example of Mexico. It has strict gun control laws and 5 times the murder rate of the United States.

Let's compare the USA and Jamaica. the later has 1/10 the number of guns owned per capita vs the Unites States, but it has a murder rate 15 times that of the United States.

Your claim is bogus.

Policing others isn't my job, asshole. Bankrupting the gun manufacturers is a blatant attack on the 2nd amendment. That isn't going to fly either.

Why do you need to compare America to third world countries to make "your point".

Probably because you can't find an industrialized country that does.

Yes, bankrupting the Gun Makers is actually killing the snake at it's head. You'll be amazed how fast Crazy Wayne s huts up when his ATM card doesn't work.

No need to go in front of a jury, the gun maufacturer broke no laws, either civil or criminal. Like I said, talk to me when you think suing GM and Budweiser for a drunk killing somone in an accident. As for what a jury would say, they would obviously say the manufacturer had as much to do with lanza killing those kids as Ginsu had for OJ killing his wife, none.

Then you won't have a problem putting the issue in teh courts, then, if you are so confident in your legal position? Oh I have a big, big problem with frivolous law suits. That's one of the major problems with our judiical system in this nation.

Incidently, GM makes innovations every year to improve safetly. The gun makers put in innovations every year to make their products more deadly. Really, lol? How do you make rifle "more dangerous"? ALL the safety innovations in the world won't make a car any safer if it is used in an unlawful or reckless manner, so I say again, do you think it's a good idea to sue GM when a drunk kills someone driving one of their cars? Do you think it's a good idea to sue T-Fal for the tens of thousands who die of ebesity each year because they supplied the frying pans these fat asses used to kill themselves with?

If you think a jury is going to let these assholes off the hook, you're deluded. I don't think it will ever go to a jury because they broke NO laws, lanza broke the law, not the gun manufacturer and yeah, I think even if it did go to a jury, honest decent people would realize that the manufacturer isn't at fault at all. Not everyone is a rabid moron who thinks you blame the product on the behavior of the criminal.

And not surprising, the Cerberus group is trying to dump it's gun making subsidary faster than a girlfriend with Herpes...

Private equity firm Cerberus has put U.S. firearms maker Freedom Group up for sale following Friday's killing of 20 children and 6 adults at the Sandy Hook school shooting in Connecticut.
Freedom Group includes Bushmaster, maker of the rifle used in the shooting at the school in Newtown. Cerberus bought Bushmaster in 2006 before adding another 10 makers of firearms, ammunition and accessories to the group.

"It is apparent that the Sandy Hook tragedy was a watershed event that has raised the national debate on gun control to an unprecedented level," Cerberus Capital Management said in a statement.

I think when the Jury finds out how the GUn makers buy politicians and have fought every common sense gun law that has ever been proposed, while advertising their product as penis substitutes, any decent jury is going to hang the shit out of these people.

The Tobacco guys were saints compared to the gun makers.

I think when the Jury finds out how the GUn makers buy politicians and have fought every common sense gun law that has ever been proposed, while advertising their product as penis substitutes, any decent jury is going to hang the shit out of these people.

Lol, why is that you pansy assed liberals always equate guns with penises? I've been around firearms all my life, never once thought of a penis when I looked at one. Maybe it's the little dick syndrome you liberals suffer from that makes you think this way, I don't know.

Car companies get sued all the time for mechanical defects that cause accidents.

Frankly, if you design a product that is specifically meant to kill people and you don't strictly regulate who you are selling it to, you should be sued.

But car companies don't get sued if someone gets drunk, gets behind the wheel, and kills someone. How is that the fault of the car manufacturer?

As to who they are sold to, that's up to gun dealers and background checks.

I agree.

So let's hold gun dealers responsible and have thorough background checks.

And when a gun store has "Official Colt Dealer" posters in their windows, Colt should be responsible for them performing the background checks and not selling guns to people who look shady.

You want to make that judgment based on how someone LOOKS, Joe?

You sure you want to go there?

Lol, why is that you pansy assed liberals always equate guns with penises? I've been around firearms all my life, never once thought of a penis when I looked at one. Maybe it's the little dick syndrome you liberals suffer from that makes you think this way, I don't know.

, I can tell you're "overcompensating". Not to mention reading your posts. Your "inadequacies" drip from your writings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back