The Unjust Suspension of Stephen A. Smith

House

Opinionated Ass
Nov 1, 2012
ESPN sports anchor Stephen A. Smith has been suspended for a week for cautioning women against "provoking wrong actions."

While the sports anchor did say, "We know you have no business putting your hands on a woman," he also cautioned women, saying, "Let's make sure we don't do anything to provoke wrong actions."

Source: LA Times

What a terrible mistake by ESPN. While the knee jerk reaction may be to assume that Mr. Smith was blaming the victim, his advice makes a lot more sense when you consider it in context.

What he said was no more wrong than telling somebody, "lock your door if you don't want to be robbed", or perhaps "you're less likely to be raped if you don't drink to excess."

He's not justifying the attacker or blaming women. He's merely addressing the fact that there are behaviors which increase the likelihood of confrontations turning physical. That's a simple fact that cannot be disputed, and ESPN has shown themselves to be incredibly stupid for overreacting to this supposedly controversial statement that is just common sense vocalized.

What he said was no more wrong than telling somebody... "you're less likely to be raped if you don't drink to excess."[/I]

your question seems to answer itself, right there.

ESPN sports anchor Stephen A. Smith has been suspended for a week for cautioning women against "provoking wrong actions."

While the sports anchor did say, "We know you have no business putting your hands on a woman," he also cautioned women, saying, "Let's make sure we don't do anything to provoke wrong actions."

What a terrible mistake by ESPN. While the knee jerk reaction may be to assume that Mr. Smith was blaming the victim, his advice makes a lot more sense when you consider it in context.

What he said was no more wrong than telling somebody, "lock your door if you don't want to be robbed", or perhaps "you're less likely to be raped if you don't drink to excess."

He's not justifying the attacker or blaming women. He's merely addressing the fact that there are behaviors which increase the likelihood of confrontations turning physical. That's a simple fact that cannot be disputed, and ESPN has shown themselves to be incredibly stupid for overreacting to this supposedly controversial statement that is just common sense vocalized.

While I disagree with suspending him for it, I do disagree with the sentiment of what he said. It's like saying "Ladies, don't talk back or otherwise be disrespectful to men or they might hit you." In other words, "Obey, submit, and look pretty. But never talk back."

Even if he'd said that, suspending him for it is foolish. Had nothing to do with his job unless he's the HR for ESPN or something. :)

While I disagree with suspending him for it, I do disagree with the sentiment of what he said. It's like saying "Ladies, don't talk back or otherwise be disrespectful to men or they might hit you." In other words, "Obey, submit, and look pretty. But never talk back."

Liberals haven't YET made us into a police state like the Soviet Union and we Americans do not have to have internal passports to move about.

You have complete freedom to walk down any street in America. Please use this freedom as a protective shield and go and walk through your local ghetto at 2 am and also exercise your freedom of speech by yelling insulting things and screaming about how much money you have in your pocket.

You have freedom and you believe that it is unjustified to counsel you to exercise self-restraint in how you use your freedom, so show us that these personal forrcfields of freedom can protect you from getting mugged or shot.

Liberals haven't YET made us into a police state like the Soviet Union and we Americans do not have to have internal passports to move about.

You have complete freedom to walk down any street in America. Please use this freedom as a protective shield and go and walk through your local ghetto at 2 am and also exercise your freedom of speech by yelling insulting things and screaming about how much money you have in your pocket.

You have freedom and you believe that it is unjustified to counsel you to exercise self-restraint in how you use your freedom, so show us that these personal forrcfields of freedom can protect you from getting mugged or shot.

Precisely.

your question seems to answer itself, right there.

Pardon, what question was I asking?

What I mean is that the example you gave is much like the one I would use to illustrate the absurdity of this "common sense"

So you're one of those people that's perfectly fine with women getting smashed at a frat party and becoming a victim, as long as you have somebody to pin the crime on afterwards?

Sorry, I'd rather promote prevention of the crime than the conviction of it.

The hell you're not. So, a woman drinks too much is "open season?" That means men are just sitting in wait for God's sake! The men have to have some limits on their behavior as well.

What about the woman who experiences "date rape?" Is that her fault as well? She shouldn't have been in a bar or she should have watched her drink better....

You're full of it.

Last edited:

"lock your door if you don't want to be robbed" puts the blame on the victim and excuses the perp.

Which is exactly what the nit was doing.

I think what he said was stupid. ESPN agrees.

I think ESPN has the right to suspend him for saying something stupid.

When he gets arrested and charged for saying it, give me a call and I'll join you in protest.

The hell you're not. So, a woman drinks too much is "open season?" That means men are just sitting in wait for God's sake! The men have to have some limits on their behavior as well.

What about the woman who experiences "date rape?" Is that her fault as well? She shouldn't have been in a bar or she should have watched her drink better....

You're full of it.

This is why he got suspended - women and liberals can't think straight on this issue.

Do you believe that people who counsel you to lock your door at night or to not walk through the ghetto at 2 am are blaming you for being robbed or mugged and giving the robber or burglar a free pass?

Here's the thing - the longer woman believe that they have a force-field around them which protects drunk women and women who exercise piss-poor judgment the longer more innocent women will be raped where those rapes could have been AVOIDED.

We'd also have more burglaries and ghetto muggings if people asserted their right to not lock their doors and asserted their rights to walk through ghettos as 2 am.

You're full of it.

This is why he got suspended - women and liberals can't think straight on this issue.

Do you believe that people who counsel you to lock your door at night or to not walk through the ghetto at 2 am are blaming you for being robbed or mugged and giving the robber or burglar a free pass?

Here's the thing - the longer woman believe that they have a force-field around them which protects drunk women and women who exercise piss-poor judgment the longer more innocent women will be raped where those rapes could have been AVOIDED.

We'd also have more burglaries and ghetto muggings if people asserted their right to not lock their doors and asserted their rights to walk through ghettos as 2 am.

Try again. That was incoherent

You're full of it.

Try again. That was incoherent

I took your advice and read my statement again and I don't see the incoherence. You know the old break-up line "It not you honey, it's me" well in this case "It's not me, it's you."

Telling me what I wrote is incoherent doesn't help me at all. Tell me WHY it is incoherent and then I can address your criticism.

Steven A was back today and had to talk about another women issue

Becky Harmon being hired as an assistant coach on a NBA team. Of course he had to agree with it which is why I don't know why it was even brought up

Steven A was back today and had to talk about another women issue

Becky Harmon being hired as an assistant coach on a NBA team. Of course he had to agree with it which is why I don't know why it was even brought up

Did he advise Ms. Harmon about the dangers of working around men and counsel her on her choice of clothing?

PC-tarded jackasses unite, there is an injustice brewing on Amazon!

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Warning-alcoholic-beverages-pregnancy-pregnancy/dp/B00FA4CDHY/ref=sr_1_73?tag=ohmy0c-20]Amazon.com: Warning - Drinking alcoholic beverages before pregnancy may cause pregnancy. (Bumper Sticker): Everything Else[/ame]

I wonder how the four women on Disney's* corporate board felt about his comments.

*which owns ESPN

Forum List

Back