The Union Army's odd infatuation with a criminal they hanged

What a massive deflection from the OP. :laugh:

bodecea brought it up. I was shocked. But you are right, it is quite a bit off topic.
Actually, I'm not the first who brought up Lee. But at the time of Harper's Ferry, he was in the U.S. Army.

You sure about that? We don't want Asclepias calling you a liar.

That's a joke. You're saying the right things here. YOu would get a pass.

No, I referred to you bringing up Lee's American-ness or lack there of.
He gave up his American card when he took up arms in insurrection...and caused the death of thousands.

Then why wasnt he charged with insurrection?
He was white.

It's kind of strange that a current U.S. quarter depicting the U.S. Arsenal at Harper's Ferry would feature a single incident of anarchy rather than the years of the manufacture of weapons in the early industrial revolution. If you are interested in weapons manufacture and the early industrial revolution and visit the U.S. Park, be prepared to be lectured about the failed John Brown raid and slavery rather than the Armory's history. Brown was widely recognized as insane at the time of his anarchy and failed murder spree and the Union Army justifiably hanged him for his crimes. The strange thing is that after he was hanged Brown became a hero in the eyes of the media and the same Union Army that hanged him. The Union used the John Brown (enhanced and faked?) legacy as a recruiting tool and a morale booster during the Civil War. The current U.S. Government apparently sees Brown's insanity as a heroic act in retrospect even after he was hanged for crimes including the murder of half a dozen citizens of Harper's Ferry including the mayor.. Here we are in the 21st century tearing down historic monuments to Confederate generals while crafting a coin to commemerte the life of a murderer and anarchist who was hanged.
What was John Browns motive?
Does a motive justify murder? The Union hanged him.
No. The state of Virginia hung him.

Virginia v. John Brown - Wikipedia
The Union Army ironically under the command of Union Lt. Robert E. Lee. captured Brown. He may have been sentenced to die in Va. and under Va. law but the Union Army hanged him.

Are you supporting the idea that the Southern States had the Legal right to secede?
What a massive deflection from the OP. :laugh:

bodecea brought it up. I was shocked. But you are right, it is quite a bit off topic.
Actually, I'm not the first who brought up Lee. But at the time of Harper's Ferry, he was in the U.S. Army.

You sure about that? We don't want Asclepias calling you a liar.

That's a joke. You're saying the right things here. YOu would get a pass.

No, I referred to you bringing up Lee's American-ness or lack there of.
He gave up his American card when he took up arms in insurrection...and caused the death of thousands.

The whole point of the war, was whether or not he had the Right to give up his "American card".

By claiming that he did so, you are supporting one of the prime arguments, if not the primary argument of the Lost Causers.

Are you sure that is what you want to do?

The U.S. Park Service is one of the most militant, Far Left agencies in government. They use their positions to modify history into their Progressive, anti American lies. Plus they think THEY own the national parks, and not the people.

Last edited:

Well, let’s look at the motives of John Brown vs the Confederacy

John Brown fought for freedom of the slaves
Confederacy fought to keep men in slavery

Who was crazy?

Wow. That is insanely stupid.
John Brown was morally right
The Confederacy was morally wrong

So, just like that, you're dropping the whole "crazy" claim?

I've said it before.

Libs just say shit. THey don't mean nothing by it.

It's just shit.

John Brown had a better perception of right and wrong than the Confederacy did

4 million slaves can attest to that

Stopping changing the subject every time I seriously address what you say.

It makes you look cowardly and dishonest.

THey rebelled against tremendous odds, and lost. And were forgiven and welcomed back into the American Family with open arms.

YOur hatred is uncalled for.

Robert E. Lee is a famous American General.
He was a famous Con-federate General...he resigned his Army commission.

Are you supporting the idea that the Southern States had the Legal right to secede?
It ended up being a moot point when they attacked a federal installation. It's not when they seceded that the war started...it's when the loser morons started an aggression they couldn't win.

It's not moot relevant to the point of whether or not he was a Great American General.

I consider him that. Retroactively if nothing else.

You seem to think that he was not an American, during the height of his career.

It's a valid point of view. I'm just surprised that you hold it.
He was a great Confederate General

A General who fought to enslave four million people

So, you support the premise of the Lost Causers.

By your own standards, doesn't that make you a horrible racist?

He was a famous Con-federate General...he resigned his Army commission.

It ended up being a moot point when they attacked a federal installation. It's not when they seceded that the war started...it's when the loser morons started an aggression they couldn't win.

It's not moot relevant to the point of whether or not he was a Great American General.

Yes, if Lost Causers believe the war was fought to ensure slavery

Are you really that ignorant?

YOu just supported the idea that the Confederacy legally seceded.

The traditional American viewpoint was that the secession was ILLEGAL, thus Lee was an American during the whole time.

Words have meanins, lib.

Let's be real here.

Just admit that you just say what ever shit in the moment, that you thinks allows you to spew negative shit about your enemies. and that nothing you say means anything more than that.

Otherwise, explain why you side with the Lost Causers, who call the Civil War the War of Northern Aggression and consider Lincoln to be a warmongering Tyrant.

The traditional American viewpoint was that the secession was ILLEGAL, thus Lee was an American during the whole time.

Words have meanins, lib.

Let's be real here.

Just admit that you just say what ever shit in the moment, that you thinks allows you to spew negative shit about your enemies. and that nothing you say means anything more than that.

Otherwise, explain why you side with the Lost Causers, who call the Civil War the War of Northern Aggression and consider Lincoln to be a warmongering Tyrant.
Traitors

Words have meanins, lib.

Let's be real here.

Traitors

Not according to your words.

YOu support the idea that the secession was legal and binding.

YOu have two choices, admit that you just say shit to say shit, it don't mean nothing,

or explain your support for the Lost Cause position on legal secession.

It's kind of strange that a current U.S. quarter depicting the U.S. Arsenal at Harper's Ferry would feature a single incident of anarchy rather than the years of the manufacture of weapons in the early industrial revolution. If you are interested in weapons manufacture and the early industrial revolution and visit the U.S. Park, be prepared to be lectured about the failed John Brown raid and slavery rather than the Armory's history. Brown was widely recognized as insane at the time of his anarchy and failed murder spree and the Union Army justifiably hanged him for his crimes. The strange thing is that after he was hanged Brown became a hero in the eyes of the media and the same Union Army that hanged him. The Union used the John Brown (enhanced and faked?) legacy as a recruiting tool and a morale booster during the Civil War. The current U.S. Government apparently sees Brown's insanity as a heroic act in retrospect even after he was hanged for crimes including the murder of half a dozen citizens of Harper's Ferry including the mayor.. Here we are in the 21st century tearing down historic monuments to Confederate generals while crafting a coin to commemerte the life of a murderer and anarchist who was hanged.
Ending slavery. Sure sign of insanity for a white man.
Is that right? Do modern lefties think Brown was deemed insane because he was an abolutionist rather than the fact that he incited anarchy and murdered innocent civiians?
Why dont you tell us why he was deemed insane. Do you have something from a doctor back then explaining why they called him insane?
The universal belief at the time was that he was insane. I'm not here to justify it or explain it.

Brown had to know that his rag tag gang could never take over a well established Union Arsenal like Harper's Ferry. What was he thinking? After his gang killed the militia Harper's Ferry folks including the mayor he should have done the right thing and put a bullet through his own head but he was basically a coward who stirred up anger and hatred among others and didn't have the balls to do himself. The point is that the Union Army captured and hanged him but somehow the media at the time turned the insanity into hero worship among the Troops that hanged the freaking maniac and the little ditty is still remembered.

No. The state of Virginia hung him.

Virginia v. John Brown - Wikipedia
The Union Army ironically under the command of Union Lt. Robert E. Lee. captured Brown. He may have been sentenced to die in Va. and under Va. law but the Union Army hanged him.
The Marines captured him under an Army officer...it's what they could pony up on short notice. And it was the state of Virginia that hanged him.

US Marines did capture him however. Under the command of the great American Robert E Lee.
WHO brought Lee up? :71:

I'm sorry...did I distract you from your screed about it being treasonous to attack Federal installations?
treasonous? Perhaps. But if you want to secede and be left alone...don't poke the big bear and then cry when you get your ass whipped.

Based on what I've read about him ...

s-l1000.jpg

Forum List

Back