The Union Army at the end of the Civil War

ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
would have whupped any army on the planet.

One of the greatest armies of all time.

They would have whupped the Brits, the Prussians, the Surrender Monkeys -whoever...................................

They would have whupped the Brits, the Prussians, the Surrender Monkeys -whoever...................................

No, just better funded, more manpower. Grant could not hold a candle to Lee.

Sad to think that some would consider the victor of a lopsided civil war the greatest army of all time. I would have to say the US armed forces of WWII as the greatest army ever assembled and supplied in the history of the world.

Sad to think that some would consider the victor of a lopsided civil war the greatest army of all time. I would have to say the US armed forces of WWII as the greatest army ever assembled and supplied in the history of the world.

I said the Union Army was ONE of the greatest of all time.

The US military in WW2 was THE GREATEST.

I misunderstood what you were implying, yes they were one of the greatest for the period, that is the late 19th century, however, we did not have the naval support, nor the training, and combined leadership, the Prussian, French, and English had. Thank god we never had to witness that carnage. With that said, if the leadership and manpower of both the North and South had been united in such a struggle we would have held our own and then some. As a combined army it would have been one tough SOB to face.

I said the Union Army was ONE of the greatest of all time.

The US military in WW2 was THE GREATEST.

Agreed here both gin & staid. You gotta give some credit to the British, Free French, and Russians though. Not to forget the King of Denmark, a brave man.

Can we rewind to a period prior to the War of Northern Aggression, for a moment, please?

Are we forgetting our Revolutionary War where we decimated THE 'world power' of the time with a scraggly bunch of relative 'infants'??
:clap2:

THAT'S an Army!!

No, just better funded, more manpower. Grant could not hold a candle to Lee.

The key to Grant's success was that the Union army peaked at about 2 million men, compared to the Confederacy's 800,000. Grant could throw 5,000 men into a battle and get them killed, and replace them in a matter of days. The South could not afford those kind of losses, yet they still managed to fight for four years and were winning for the first two years.

The South, by far, had the better leaders. Military schools and training were a Southern tradition. Had they been equally manned and supplied, the war would have been won by the Confederates.

Forum List

Back