The True Meaning of Thanksgiving: The Birth of Private Enterprise in America

Discussion in 'Education' started by Kevin_Kennedy, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    In Defense of Capitalism & Human Progress: The True Meaning of Thanksgiving: The Birth of Private Enterprise in America by Richard M. Ebeling

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Dystopia

Dystopia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    When was the last time you invited your friends over for a Thanksgiving dinner and you charged your friends for a meal? Well, if it is free enterprise, you would have to charge them a fee as free enterprise does not work without the transfer of wealth in the form of currency.

3. Kevin_Kennedy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    I wouldn't "have" to do anything. I'd suggest you actually read before commenting.

4. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    When was the last time a group of total strangers came to your house uninvited for Thanksgiving dinner, sat at your table, and demanded that you give them your food?

Why do you dumbasses have such a hard time differentiating between voluntary and involuntary, personal and business? Honestly. Using voluntary association with one's friends to talk about free enterprise? My GOD, you sound like a moron.

5. Dystopia

Dystopia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    There is a difference between invited your friends and your jump to total strangers coming to your home for a Thanksgiving dinner.

They were not and I say again not free enterprise during that time period. If they were into free enterprise, they would be receiving goods and selling goods to countries like Span and France. As we know, only and only the English were in the ports and only on the shores during that time. If I told you as a business man, and like you to show me a business man during a reenactment of the first Thanksgiving dinner. Think like a business man during the first Thanksgiving dinner, would he really think he is a free enterprise business man when he can only receive and sell with only the United Kingdom.

6. Dystopia

Dystopia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Did read before I made the comment, and I stand by my comment. Really, if you were a business man during the first Thanksgiving dinner you would think of yourself as a free enterprise business man. Fine, please role play out the reaction of your fellow Thanksgiving dinner guests during the first Thanksgiving dinner your wish to start to sell to the French and the Spanish.

7. Kevin_Kennedy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    Private enterprise as in owning their own land and their own crops, thus leading to a plentiful supply for all to enjoy. Private ownership is an aspect of private enterprise.

8. Dystopia

Dystopia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well the Mayflower (the ship) went far north then it was suppose to. When they landed, the natives was not in the United Kingdom to make a land deal with the selling of their land. Nope, they came, and just used the land without permission.

In theory, the native population owned the land and the English just took it away from them. Then, they organized the land with the settlers not in money but in grants of land. Then in time, after building up the property the property could be sold. But, with the small amount of the population and the vastness of unclaimed land, property was not really that important with ownership.

If you think about the first decade (1620 – 1630), they were more like Communist then free enterprise.

9. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,008
    I love that article.

I posted it, I think last year, and I'm glad you posted it today.

One of the reasons we homeschool is so that my children learn to see the relationship between Thanksgiving and the essence of America.

My 5th grader studied Bradford, and that piece this year.

10. Kevin_Kennedy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    We could certainly discuss injustices toward Native Americans, but that's not what this thread is about. This is about how private property rights led to abundance, whereas communal property led to scarcity, hunger, and death. You're trying to look at anything but what this article focuses on and say it wasn't private enterprise, when private property is the backbone of private enterprise.