The Teaching Profession

Excellent post. There are a few points I sgould comment on, however. There are programs in some schools that do mentor new teachers and recommend future contracts or firing afrer one year of monitoring. There is also another program where teachers lacking in the skills are mentored and can be fired as well even if they are under contract.

You are absolutely right about teacher unions. The president of AFT once said, "I'll care about the kids when they pay me my salary." So it is not about improving education or improving teacher skills (usually). It's the almighty dollar. Don't get me wrong. Teacher's do need a voice in wage negotiations, but it's generally not the union that cares about making the best teachers.

Oh, please! Not that old worn out line!

Do truck drivers have the Teamster's Union designing trucks? I guess they don't care about their employment. Unions represent teachers just like the United Mine Workers represents miners. They don't care about the quality of the coal they are mining and how much it impacts global warming.

Why do you morons ascribe duties to teacher's unions that are not expected by any other union?
It doesn't matter how much you are paid if you turn out a shitty product. I believe in merit pay.

OK, let's see your ideas on merit pay. I had a professor in graduate school who wrote a book after doing years and years of research saying that merit pay is impossible to make fair to the teachers. Someone will always lose.

I finish an assignment tomorrow where the teacher has six classes. One is full of behavior problems and they are far behind the other classes. Another class is a collaborative special ed/regular ed class. They are also far behind the other 4 regular ed classes.

How will you design a system of merit pay to treat that special ed teacher and that regular ed teacher equally?
Teachers are being tested using the Praxis system. An evaluator will come in and watch the teacher, Then they would write a report examining how the teacher kept the students focused, provided for individua; differences, performed well with discipline, an array of skills. It was meant to evaluate teachers as well. as finding those teachers whop need more skills.

No, teachers are not being tested using the Praxis system. I knew you were full of shit! I never took a Praxis test and would not recognize one if I tripped over it.

Are you sure you aren't a first year education student, because that is about what you seem to know about the topic?
They should be using it all over the nation. It's an excellent tool. Just because yolu hadn't heard about it doesn't make me full of anything. They even started teaching it in college.

Thus speaks those who cannot and will not teach.
Wrong. I was a teacher for 32 years.

Driver's ed doesn't count! :D
Tory, you are awfully full of yourself when you don't know anything about the subject being discussed.

I don't know the subject? You are so full of shit, I'll bet your eyes are brown!

I was a teacher for 21 years and I am smart enough to say "Fuck it!" and leave the field because I am sick and tired of morons that could not teach a fish to drink water telling me they can do it so much better because of how easy it is!

Most of them would be crying for their Mommas after the first juvenile delinquent tells the go fuck themselves!
If competent teachers would not pass on students who did not master the subjects taught that year, that wouldn't happen.

Screw you. you couldn't do the job. You did not establish a rapport with the students and failed to make a difference in their lives.

I couldn't do the job? Who died and appointed you God, you arrogant turd!

As to your asinine commentary, most teachers do not have that power as research has proven that retention is determined to be useless.

What subject did you say you taught? PE?

Excellent post. There are a few points I sgould comment on, however. There are programs in some schools that do mentor new teachers and recommend future contracts or firing afrer one year of monitoring. There is also another program where teachers lacking in the skills are mentored and can be fired as well even if they are under contract.

You are absolutely right about teacher unions. The president of AFT once said, "I'll care about the kids when they pay me my salary." So it is not about improving education or improving teacher skills (usually). It's the almighty dollar. Don't get me wrong. Teacher's do need a voice in wage negotiations, but it's generally not the union that cares about making the best teachers.

Do truck drivers have the Teamster's Union designing trucks? I guess they don't care about their employment. Unions represent teachers just like the United Mine Workers represents miners. They don't care about the quality of the coal they are mining and how much it impacts global warming.

Why do you morons ascribe duties to teacher's unions that are not expected by any other union?
It doesn't matter how much you are paid if you turn out a shitty product. I believe in merit pay.

OK, let's see your ideas on merit pay. I had a professor in graduate school who wrote a book after doing years and years of research saying that merit pay is impossible to make fair to the teachers. Someone will always lose.

I finish an assignment tomorrow where the teacher has six classes. One is full of behavior problems and they are far behind the other classes. Another class is a collaborative special ed/regular ed class. They are also far behind the other 4 regular ed classes.

How will you design a system of merit pay to treat that special ed teacher and that regular ed teacher equally?
Teachers are being tested using the Praxis system. An evaluator will come in and watch the teacher, Then they would write a report examining how the teacher kept the students focused, provided for individua; differences, performed well with discipline, an array of skills. It was meant to evaluate teachers as well. as finding those teachers whop need more skills.

No, teachers are not being tested using the Praxis system. I knew you were full of shit! I never took a Praxis test and would not recognize one if I tripped over it.

Are you sure you aren't a first year education student, because that is about what you seem to know about the topic?
The Praxis® Tests
The Praxis® tests measure the academic skills and subject-specific content knowledge needed for teaching. The Praxistests are taken by individuals entering the teaching profession as part of the certification process required by many states and professional licensing organizations.

Now, who's the moron?

They should be using it all over the nation. It's an excellent tool. Just because yolu hadn't heard about it doesn't make me full of anything. They even started teaching it in college.

The system you described is exactly the current system used in my state for teacher evaluations. It is an epic failure. However, your statement about the Praxis exam is still incorrect as many states do not and never have used it.

If you had learned more than how to teach kids how to hold their scissors and not eat their glue sticks, you might have known that.

Tory, you are awfully full of yourself when you don't know anything about the subject being discussed.

I don't know the subject? You are so full of shit, I'll bet your eyes are brown!

I was a teacher for 21 years and I am smart enough to say "Fuck it!" and leave the field because I am sick and tired of morons that could not teach a fish to drink water telling me they can do it so much better because of how easy it is!

Most of them would be crying for their Mommas after the first juvenile delinquent tells the go fuck themselves!
If competent teachers would not pass on students who did not master the subjects taught that year, that wouldn't happen.

Screw you. you couldn't do the job. You did not establish a rapport with the students and failed to make a difference in their lives.

As to your asinine commentary, most teachers do not have that power as research has proven that retention is determined to be useless.

You started with arrogance, big boy. So, you are saying, let the kids whop did not master the subject be passed on and be the blazing failing idiot in the next grade. Instead of letting them have anoyther turn in the grade and be one of the top students.

The Praxis® Tests
The Praxis® tests measure the academic skills and subject-specific content knowledge needed for teaching. The Praxistests are taken by individuals entering the teaching profession as part of the certification process required by many states and professional licensing organizations.

Now, who's the moron?

I am a teacher. i have never taken a Praxis test. That alone makes your statement false. I didn't say I had never heard of it, dumbass! Your statement is simply too broad to be true.

You started with arrogance, big boy. So, you are saying, let the kids whop did not master the subject be passed on and be the blazing failing idiot in the next grade. Instead of letting them have anoyther turn in the grade and be one of the top students.

I don't know where you get off thinking that is the norm, because it is not. Teachers do not control the retention policies in most schools. Educate yourself outside your own little world.

The system you described is exactly the current system used in my state for teacher evaluations. It is an epic failure. However, your statement about the Praxis exam is still incorrect as many states do not and never have used it.

If you had learned more than how to teach kids how to hold their scissors and not eat their glue sticks, you might have known that.

Thought you said you did know about it. You wouldn't know it if you tripped over it. You are full of shit.

I don't know where you get off thinking that is the norm, because it is not. Teachers do not control the retention policies in most schools. Educate yourself outside your own little world.
Look, you arrogant prick, I can give it back to you twice over. Now if you wou;d like to carry on a decent discussion I will too. Stop thinking you are so superior.

I controlled retentions in my classroom. I think the principal afforded that right to any teacher he had confidence in. One principal had a rule about passing the unruly children on to get them out olf the school sooner.

Thought you said you did know about it. You wouldn't know it if you tripped over it. You are full of shit.

I never took a Praxis test, dumbass!

Look, you arrogant prick, I can give it back to you twice over. Now if you wou;d like to carry on a decent discussion I will too. Stop thinking you are so superior.

You can't give back what you don't have.

I controlled retentions in my classroom. I think the principal afforded that right to any teacher he had confidence in. One principal had a rule about passing the unruly children on to get them out olf the school sooner.

Good for you! The two of you feel free to ignore years of research and commit educational malpractice.

Professions have a large body of ..... knowledge, not known to the general public, which must be mastered in order to practice the Profession. And that knowledge is formally TESTED before one can practice in the Profession. If you don't pass the test, you CANNOT practice the Profession. ....

Like the teaching profession.

The OP has got a real obsession going on. 90% of all his posts here are the same flavor of whine.

This thread certainly shows how annoying teachers can be. Just tell me what the best books are on subjects I want to know. So many teachers just get in the way. Gotta pamper their egos, like you can't learn anything without them. :21:

Last edited:

Yeah ok Bodey. The saying goes: "Those who can't do...teach!".

The saying is quite common in post-graduate circles. :rolleyes:
I wonder what the OP thinks about college professors.....they don't learn how to teach...they are subject matter experts and if you are their student, you have to ADAPT to how they present the info.

Wait....you were a kindergarten teacher?

Forum List

Back