The Subtle art of not giving a F*ck - Book

I think prioritizing what we care about is something we constantly have to work on. Everyone loses sight of what’s important. It’s in our nature to want to be liked.
Indeed. And social media is shredding that to pieces.
How?
Because with social media you can find groups of people who think just like you do - including, and especially, if that thinking is fucked. Then instead of realizing their priorities are upside down - it reinforces it and exacerbates the problem. He actually talks about this in the book.
Playing a victim gives you immediate gratification, comradery and believing a false sense of moral superiority. Then, as always, they feed off of each other until they reach a point of insanity.
Welcome to post 2020 western society.

You figured it out, yet the book doesn’t teach you how to not give a fuck like you said learned before reading the book.
It was obvious to me that the book was saying to choose better what you allow yourself to care about. If that was not the point of the book maybe I should have read further.

Indeed. And social media is shredding that to pieces.
How?
Because with social media you can find groups of people who think just like you do - including, and especially, if that thinking is fucked. Then instead of realizing their priorities are upside down - it reinforces it and exacerbates the problem. He actually talks about this in the book.
Playing a victim gives you immediate gratification, comradery and believing a false sense of moral superiority. Then, as always, they feed off of each other until they reach a point of insanity.
Welcome to post 2020 western society.
Yes playing the victim is a way of not taking responsibility. We must take responsibility I even if it’s what we’re taking responsibility for is not our fault.

It was obvious to me that the book was saying to choose better what you allow yourself to care about. If that was not the point of the book maybe I should have read further.
You should have read the book. It’s more than just life hacks that make you feel better about yourself just by reading it. In many ways the book is dark. Kind of the opposite of self help books out there on the market.

You should have read the book. It’s more than just life hacks that make you feel better about yourself just by reading it. In many ways the book is dark. Kind of the opposite of self help books out there on the market.
Haven't read a lot of self help books. Never been at a loss for where I'm fucking up or what to do next.

Agree.
Self Help books of the 80s-2000s - "you are special!, you are wonderful!... you deserve everything!".

This book - "no one is special, there are legions of people out there so if everyone was special - then no one would be special anymore...so forget that."

Haven't read a lot of self help books. Never been at a loss for where I'm fucking up or what to do next.
Hmm... you said your parents taught you nothing, and you had to make your own way the hard way.
That is fucked up.
I would assume then, that this has made you harder than you should be. Perhaps selfish also because you had to deal with the fact that you are the only one you can count on.
Just sayin.... reading different opinions and insight on life and psychology is a good thing.
I have read a number of such books. Some I read about 20 pages, rolled my eyes at the ridiculousness of it and deleted it. Others I quickly picked up on the fact it is modern woke insanity and again deleted. But others I have read and learned a lot.

Hmm... you said your parents taught you nothing, and you had to make your own way the hard way.
That is fucked up.
I would assume then, that this has made you harder than you should be. Perhaps selfish also because you had to deal with the fact that you are the only one you can count on.
Just sayin.... reading different opinions and insight on life and psychology is a good thing.
I have read a number of such books. Some I read about 20 pages, rolled my eyes at the ridiculousness of it and deleted it. Others I quickly picked up on the fact it is modern woke insanity and again deleted. But others I have read and learned a lot.
My extended family were Appalachian backwoods christian holy roller types. We lived in remote towns around N Alabama and Georgia. I didn't know shit about the world and money and people who didn't worship.

My extended family were Appalachian backwoods christian holy roller types. We lived in remote towns around N Alabama and Georgia. I didn't know shit about the world and money and people who didn't worship.
Not to that extreme, but I grew up in similar situation.
I grew up in deep southern Indiana as a child. My parents went to Church of Christ. And, at that time especially, Church of Christ was very much a puritan religion. It was all about "don't do this - don't do that" or God's wrath will set you on fire".
Unless you have grown up in this kind of religion, you can't really imagine what it is like.
So I can identify with what you are saying.

Last edited:
How can you enjoy reading 64% of a book unless it contains salacious excerpts you read in the shower? It's a pathetic advertisement for reading.

How can you enjoy reading 64% of a book unless it contains salacious excerpts you read in the shower? It's a pathetic advertisement for reading.
:D
That was how far I was into it, at the time I wrote the thread. I read most books on a Kindle.
It tells you how far you are into a book at the bottom of every page. You can view it by percentage, or Page X of X. I choose %.

Forum List

Back