The Slaughter Rule

Si modo

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fairfax, Virginia
Democrats Prepare “Slaughter Solution” to Ram Unpopular Health Care Takeover Through Congress Without a Vote

The Slaughter Solution is a plan by Rep. Louise Slaughter (D-NY), the Democratic chair of the powerful House Rules Committee and a key ally of Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), to get the health care legislation through the House without an actual vote on the Senate-passed health care bill. You see, Democratic leaders currently lack the votes needed to pass the Senate health care bill through the House. Under Slaughter’s scheme, Democratic leaders will overcome this problem by simply “deeming” the Senate bill passed in the House - without an actual vote by members of the House.

Republican Leader John Boehner | Democrats Prepare ?Slaughter Solution? to Ram Unpopular Health Care Takeover Through Congress Without a Vote

Screw our Democratic system. Screw Democracy!

I wish someone could tell me what the "takeover" is...

Both bills EXPAND private coverage. That isn't a takeover of anything, at least not by the government.

What kind of people vote for someone with a name like slaughter?

Maybe Republicans and their supporters will remember this the NEXT time they decide not to help in crafting important legislation...

Anything passed by such tricks will be challenged in court or repealed when the opposition party takes over.

The Dems will never have this via tricks.

I wish someone could tell me what the "takeover" is...

Both bills EXPAND private coverage. That isn't a takeover of anything, at least not by the government.

As in the way they said they wouldn't take over banks and auto companies....they really don't intend on taking over the health insurance industry.

The primary cause of premium increases is the fact that Medicare refuses to pay. Same thing with Tricare or any other government health insurance provider. The costs have to be off-set by raising rates on private insurance providers. I'm finding this out first hand as we speak.

If the House tries to pull the Slaughter Maneuver, I expect this to end up in the SCOTUS - and that an injunction will be put in place.

Interesting plans when you don't limit yourself to the Constitution and rule of law. How long do they expect us to follow the same?

If the House tries to pull the Slaughter Maneuver, I expect this to end up in the SCOTUS - and that an injunction will be put in place.

If the bill gets signed it will just be the beginning of the fight. We still have 11 state AGs out there who will file suit to block this. Plus states enacting their legislation barring some of the provisions of the bill.
This could shape up to be the biggest challenge to the Union since the Civil War.
Thanks, Obama!

If the Slaughter Rule doesn't work, let's see if Obama declares a State of Emergency due to the Dismal Economy & High Unemployment to Rahm health care through via Executive Order.

It would not be at all surprising if they were actually considering this.

If the Slaughter Rule doesn't work, let's see if Obama declares a State of Emergency due to the Dismal Economy & High Unemployment to Rahm health care through via Executive Order.

It would not be at all surprising if they were actually considering this.

I would assume they would consider any and every means to accomplish whatever they want, every contingency.
Whether they would actually use this or not is another issue.

You know it's fine to dislike the bills, but when you make the process for passing it out to be unconstitutional you're really being a partisan hack.

It's shamelessly melodramatic to call it "the Slaughter Rule". Yes, that's her name, but you know you're taking advantage of that to make it sound much worse than it is.

You realize that if the method were unconstitutional it wouldn't be possible to use it - there are parliamentary controls.

Nice job forgetting (I'm being charitable since there are worse ways I could spin it) that both the House and Senate versions of the bill have already met your arbitrary 60% majority standard.

Self-executing rules aren't anything NEW:
Read this article

When Republicans took power in 1995, they soon lost their aversion to self-executing rules and proceeded to set new records under Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.). There were 38 and 52 self-executing rules in the 104th and 105th Congresses (1995-1998), making up 25 percent and 35 percent of all rules, respectively. Under Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) there were 40, 42 and 30 self-executing rules in the 106th, 107th and 108th Congresses (22 percent, 37 percent and 22 percent, respectively). Thus far in the 109th Congress, self-executing rules make up about 16 percent of all rules.

So let's be REALLY REAL here. You're using whatever kind of scare tactics and confusion of those who don't know the process to get your side to win....and Obama's doing exactly the same. The gloves are off.

At least be honest about it, eh?

Ok, can you imagine the UPROAR had this tactic been even MENTIONED when the Repubs were in power?

Hey, I'm pro-life...pro-term limits...pro-fiscal responsibility. I'm pro-gun rights on top of that. Heck, I even am against amnesty and want to enforce immigration strictly.

So yeah...I'm a centrist.

BTW, care to actually discuss my post...or want to keep trying to discuss me, personally?

Forum List

Back