The Slaughter Rule

Ok people. There's no need to go off on your partisan rants.

Yes, there have been 2 different bills that are very close to each other. So much so that reconciliation is possible.

I acknowledged the damn differences by saying that there were House and Senate versions. Don't instantly start accusing me of trying to re-write history...because I dont fabricate and I dont lie. Don't assume based on some partisan twisting of my words that you know me...or that I'm making some evil spin. That's not me. Got it?

This is why 95% of the talk on this forum is completely worthless. You engage in this back-biting crap that doesnt attempt to discuss anything with any good faith and just tries to slam people. Yeah, it's an internet forum board, but if any of you think you're to be taken seriously, try to be civil.

I think this is where my problem with your position lies (see bold above). You view the bills as very close to each other. I do not. The idea of penalties on those who choose not to be covered is important. Also, abortion as a potentially government funded option is unacceptable. On those two issues alone I would vote it down.

You have also assumed that one of these bills or a hybrid is a good bill. Government inching it's way into controlling my choices for health care is not a direction I have an interest. So, in closing, I submit you are blinded to your own partisanship.

"Close" doesn't really cut it. The bills are either identical or they aren't. In this case, they aren't. That's all that matters.

If the House tries to pull the Slaughter Maneuver, I expect this to end up in the SCOTUS - and that an injunction will be put in place.
That's my expectation as well.
Screw that. The SCOTUS won't touch it because it's a matter for the Legislature and their "rules". ....
Good point. You are right.

.... I say it's time for pitchforks and torches.
As another mentioned, the states will try suit.

This is pre-Civil War all over again.

Who keeps saying that Obama is bright? :confused:

Democrats Prepare “Slaughter Solution” to Ram Unpopular Health Care Takeover Through Congress Without a Vote

The Slaughter Solution is a plan by Rep. Louise Slaughter (D-NY), the Democratic chair of the powerful House Rules Committee and a key ally of Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), to get the health care legislation through the House without an actual vote on the Senate-passed health care bill. You see, Democratic leaders currently lack the votes needed to pass the Senate health care bill through the House. Under Slaughter’s scheme, Democratic leaders will overcome this problem by simply “deeming” the Senate bill passed in the House - without an actual vote by members of the House.

Republican Leader John Boehner | Democrats Prepare ?Slaughter Solution? to Ram Unpopular Health Care Takeover Through Congress Without a Vote

Screw our Democratic system. Screw Democracy!

Could you imagine the news reports had the Republicans tried this???? There would be riots in the street. What do you wanna bet CNN and NBC don't cover this...

That's my expectation as well.
Screw that. The SCOTUS won't touch it because it's a matter for the Legislature and their "rules". ....

Over 20 states have already pushed their 10th Amendment rights.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8bbrXnYJOo]YouTube - 20 + States Declaring Sovereignty Under the 10th Amendment!!! Pennsylvania State Rep Sam Rohrer[/ame]

Indeed. If the two bills were the same, Obama would already have signed ObamaCare into law by now.

:eusa_whistle:

Obviously current events aren't a strong suit on the left. :lol:

Ok people. There's no need to go off on your partisan rants.

Yes, there have been 2 different bills that are very close to each other. So much so that reconciliation is possible.

I acknowledged the damn differences by saying that there were House and Senate versions. Don't instantly start accusing me of trying to re-write history...because I dont fabricate and I dont lie. Don't assume based on some partisan twisting of my words that you know me...or that I'm making some evil spin. That's not me. Got it?

This is why 95% of the talk on this forum is completely worthless. You engage in this back-biting crap that doesnt attempt to discuss anything with any good faith and just tries to slam people. Yeah, it's an internet forum board, but if any of you think you're to be taken seriously, try to be civil.

WRONG AGAIN!!! The Bills that were voted on in Congress are 2 entirely different Bills and the only simularity between the 2 is the damge they will do to the American people and the country. The sooner you get that fact ingrained into your brain the sooner the country can move forward, write a comprehensive, bi-partisan healthcare reform bill that includes all Americans. We've had enough of the bullshit backdoor meetings, secrecy and bribery from you tards on the left.

Democrats Prepare “Slaughter Solution” to Ram Unpopular Health Care Takeover Through Congress Without a Vote

The Slaughter Solution is a plan by Rep. Louise Slaughter (D-NY), the Democratic chair of the powerful House Rules Committee and a key ally of Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), to get the health care legislation through the House without an actual vote on the Senate-passed health care bill. You see, Democratic leaders currently lack the votes needed to pass the Senate health care bill through the House. Under Slaughter’s scheme, Democratic leaders will overcome this problem by simply “deeming” the Senate bill passed in the House - without an actual vote by members of the House.

Republican Leader John Boehner | Democrats Prepare ?Slaughter Solution? to Ram Unpopular Health Care Takeover Through Congress Without a Vote

Screw our Democratic system. Screw Democracy!

It makes one so sad to see how the constitutional implications of this "process" are completely missed by members of this forum, and how this travesty is being enabled. I mean by that how this new strategy points out how really missing or dysfunctional our MSM really is. Reporters in the Peoples Republic of China could take lessons from these fools and lapdogs who have graduated from our very own J-schools.

I know they think we out here in the hinterlands simply wouldn't understand the "procedure".

Normally all we hear about is the procedure, to the detriment of the substance.

Last edited:
Ahem.

The Senate Parliamentarian has ruled that President Barack Obama must sign Congress’ original health care reform bill before the Senate can act on a companion reconciliation package, senior GOP sources said Thursday.

The Senate Parliamentarian’s Office was responding to questions posed by the Republican leadership. The answers were provided verbally, sources said.

House Democratic leaders have been searching for a way to ensure that any move they make to approve the Senate-passed $871 billion health care reform bill is followed by Senate action on a reconciliation package of adjustments to the original bill. One idea is to have the House and Senate act on reconciliation prior to House action on the Senate’s original health care bill.

Information Republicans say they have received from the Senate Parliamentarian’s Office eliminates that option. House Democratic leaders last week began looking at crafting a legislative rule that would allow the House to approve the Senate health care bill, but not forward it to Obama for his signature until the Senate clears the reconciliation package. ...

RollCall.com

The Dems are getting very desperate.

In breaking news:

The President of the United States and Speaker of the House of Representatives have jointly determined that not only has the House passed the Senate Version of the President's Health Care plan, but that the Senate had passed an Amendment creating the Cap and Trade Bill which the House would have hypothetically passed.

Sweeping changes are broader than anticipated

They further jointly announced that the President had signed the new bill into law immediately upon its historic passage and that it went into retroactive effect immediately preceding the President's Assumption of the Title of Commander of All American Corporations pursuant to an act which will have been passed predicated upon one of the as yet unnumbered new Amendments to the Constitution which have not yet been formally proposed but which will be sent to the States for Ratification and which have therefore already been ratified pursuant to another House Rule Change which is yet to be announced or voted upon.

The Constitutionality of these laws and Constitutional Amendments are not subject to review by the Supreme Court of the United States, the President noted, since the House Rules change specifically excludes these provisions from the granted areas of United States Supreme Court original or appellate jurisdiction.

Further reporting is expected on this quickly breaking story, subject to the repeal of the First Amendment by the President under a grant of new powers he has assumed by way of the other sweeping changes. When asked to comment on this aspect of these surprising new Amendments, laws, procedures, rules and regulations, the President smiled and declared firmly that "No dead hand of some old wig-wearing Framers can impose a Constitution of only negative rights on me!"

Last edited:
burning-constitution.jpg

Over 20 states have already pushed their 10th Amendment rights.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8bbrXnYJOo]YouTube - 20 + States Declaring Sovereignty Under the 10th Amendment!!! Pennsylvania State Rep Sam Rohrer[/ame]
We've gone from the Decider to the Divider. :eek:

You know it's fine to dislike the bills, but when you make the process for passing it out to be unconstitutional you're really being a partisan hack.

It's shamelessly melodramatic to call it "the Slaughter Rule". Yes, that's her name, but you know you're taking advantage of that to make it sound much worse than it is.

You realize that if the method were unconstitutional it wouldn't be possible to use it - there are parliamentary controls.

Nice job forgetting (I'm being charitable since there are worse ways I could spin it) that both the House and Senate versions of the bill have already met your arbitrary 60% majority standard.

Self-executing rules aren't anything NEW:
Read this article

When Republicans took power in 1995, they soon lost their aversion to self-executing rules and proceeded to set new records under Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.). There were 38 and 52 self-executing rules in the 104th and 105th Congresses (1995-1998), making up 25 percent and 35 percent of all rules, respectively. Under Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) there were 40, 42 and 30 self-executing rules in the 106th, 107th and 108th Congresses (22 percent, 37 percent and 22 percent, respectively). Thus far in the 109th Congress, self-executing rules make up about 16 percent of all rules.

So let's be REALLY REAL here. You're using whatever kind of scare tactics and confusion of those who don't know the process to get your side to win....and Obama's doing exactly the same. The gloves are off.

At least be honest about it, eh?

the house bill passed 220-215. since you're being so honest, perhaps you could explain how that's a 60% majority, arbitrary or not.

thanks in advance.

Some of youze lib types don't seem to grasp the fundamental concept that the 50 States in the Union are already sovereign states.

The 13 original American colonies became sovereign States (in the sense of independent nations) at the time of the Declaration to the end of the Revolutionary War. They CHOSE to create a confederation for their own mutual protection and support. But it had problems. The formation of our Constitutional Republic was designed largely to correct those problems.

Nevertheless, in the process of forging the Union, it was never assumed that ceding a limited and pre-defined portion of each State's respective sovereign authority to a centralized Federal Government amounted to the termination of their individual sovereignties.

Some of youze lib types don't seem to grasp the fundamental concept that the 50 States in the Union are already sovereign states.

The 13 original American colonies became sovereign States (in the sense of independent nations) at the time of the Declaration to the end of the Revolutionary War. They CHOSE to create a confederation for their own mutual protection and support. But it had problems. The formation of our Constitutional Republic was designed largely to correct those problems.

Nevertheless, in the process of forging the Union, it was never assumed that ceding a limited and pre-defined portion of each State's respective sovereign authority to a centralized Federal Government amounted to the termination of their individual sovereignties.
As civics is no longer required in most schools, the breeding of useful idiots is already at least a generation strong. They are useful, as we see.

WOOHOO!!!

I just looked it up! Maine is going to be a sovereign nation!

So is New Hampshire!

Oh wait...OH FUCK!!!

That means I'll have to go through TWO international border crossings to get to Fenway!

SHIT!

take the boat from portland to boston.

you can go through mass customs on board and do some duty free shopping.

:eusa_shhh:

Then why are states "Declaring Sovereignity"?

Wouldn't that be like me standing up and yelling "I AM A MAN!"

It doesn't really change much and it is a waste of my time.

WOOHOO!!!

I just looked it up! Maine is going to be a sovereign nation!

So is New Hampshire!

Oh wait...OH FUCK!!!

That means I'll have to go through TWO international border crossings to get to Fenway!

SHIT!

take the boat from portland to boston.

you can go through mass customs on board and do some duty free shopping.

:eusa_shhh:

Good idea.

Duty free is always good.

I like to choose a duty free port-o-potty if I need to use one.

Forum List

Back