The Secret Game

pillars

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2014
UNC
A mostly forgotten story from the Jim Crow era...D.G. Martin A transfomative moment in race and basketball in 1944 - Winston-Salem Journal Columnists

...John McLendon, a young black Kansan who loved basketball so much that he enrolled at the University of Kansas to study under Naismith. Naismith and Coach Allen mentored him and prepared him to accept in 1937 a coaching job offered by Dr. Shepard at North Carolina College. McLendon found that the North Carolina brand of racial prejudice, enforced separation and subordination was much more brutal than what he had experienced in Kansas. But he endured.

Using lessons from Naismith and Allen and adding things he had learned on his own, he drilled his players in the fundamentals, enforced rigorous physical conditioning, and required them to speed up and down the court, with fast-break on offense and full-court press on defense. The results were remarkable. Against other black college teams, his team ran up scores, such as 119-34 over Saint Augustine’s.

But how would they do against white teams? Nobody knew. Back then in the South, such a game was inconceivable. Even talk of such “mixing” could bring out the Klan in Durham. But even in 1944, some campus religious groups at Duke and at North Carolina College were meeting secretly together. These contacts led to the idea of a Duke medical school team of ex-college all-stars challenging the North Carolina College team.

At first, McLendon dismissed this idea, knowing that flaunting the color line could cost him his job. But McLendon finally relented, and the Duke team sneaked across Durham one Sunday morning to play in the locked North Carolina College gym...."

Great story. Here's a bit more on it if you'd like to read more:

North Carolina Central University - The Secret Game - March 12 1944

Thought I would share it and that some of you might enjoy it. As someone who was born after Jim Crow was mostly ended, I had no idea how far those laws went.

Last edited:
A mostly forgotten story from the Jim Crow era...D.G. Martin A transfomative moment in race and basketball in 1944 - Winston-Salem Journal Columnists

...John McLendon, a young black Kansan who loved basketball so much that he enrolled at the University of Kansas to study under Naismith. Naismith and Coach Allen mentored him and prepared him to accept in 1937 a coaching job offered by Dr. Shepard at North Carolina College. McLendon found that the North Carolina brand of racial prejudice, enforced separation and subordination was much more brutal than what he had experienced in Kansas. But he endured.

Using lessons from Naismith and Allen and adding things he had learned on his own, he drilled his players in the fundamentals, enforced rigorous physical conditioning, and required them to speed up and down the court, with fast-break on offense and full-court press on defense. The results were remarkable. Against other black college teams, his team ran up scores, such as 119-34 over Saint Augustine’s.

But how would they do against white teams? Nobody knew. Back then in the South, such a game was inconceivable. Even talk of such “mixing” could bring out the Klan in Durham. But even in 1944, some campus religious groups at Duke and at North Carolina College were meeting secretly together. These contacts led to the idea of a Duke medical school team of ex-college all-stars challenging the North Carolina College team.

At first, McLendon dismissed this idea, knowing that flaunting the color line could cost him his job. But McLendon finally relented, and the Duke team sneaked across Durham one Sunday morning to play in the locked North Carolina College gym...."

Thought I would share it and that some of you might enjoy it. As someone who was born after Jim Crow was mostly ended, I had no idea how far those laws went.
Great story. I had heard a little about this as my Father played on an all black basketball team around Kansas and Nebraska during Jim Crow in the late 40's. Thanks.or sharing.

I read about this about 5 years ago. I thought it was a remarkable story. Thanks for bringing it back to my attention. I collect factoids and stories like these.

• Banned
Yeah, it's a wonderful story. I find things like this really inspiring, when human beings manage to transcend the artificial barriers that separate us, and just connect as fellow humans.

• Banned
Which is why you're trying to disrupt a conversation about a really wonderful moment of people transcending race during Jim Crow. Noted.

Forum List

Back