The Science of Cougar Sex: Why Older Women Lust

Except that it seems only relatively recently that humans have developed a problem with it. I personally suspect that we're just too spoiled to be able to manage the sort of self-sacrifice necessary for a lasting relationship.

Your probably right, that or the previous generations took the until death do us part literally and stayed together no matter how miserable they were.

Again, I think that's the "spoiled" part speaking that assumes they were miserable. Humans are amazingly adaptable creatures; once you take out the flighty, "I can just leave when it stops being a fairy tale" aspect, I'd say most people found a way to be happy anyway.

I say this because I've been married to my husband for seventeen years and counting. Is it perfect? No. Does it have problems? Hell, yes. Am I going anywhere? No, so I work with what's here to be happy anyway.

I think it's also only relatively recently that people have gotten the notion that life is supposed to make them happy, instead of happiness being something that they produce inside themselves.

I think alot of people come into marriage with unrealistic expectations that everything will automatically be better, when that doesn't happen they are running for the door. Unrealistic wedding shows on tv like the Kardashians and Kendra doesn't help either because that isn't the marriages 99% of people are having, but thats what people want.

I'm a little confused about what's so special about "same generation". Maybe once upon a time, that made a big difference. In this technological information age, it's incredibly easy for people across the age spectrum to share the same knowledge, hobbies, musical tastes . . . And let's face it, age is really not much of a guarantor of maturity any more.

It is hard to explain. For example, if I were to try to relate something to you about some of my teen sons attitudes, if you havent been through that, you might not get it or would sympathize with my son, perhaps.

When I say that a phone is not something you carry in your pocket, but it is a black thing with a handle on the end of a cord that sits on a phone book on a stand next to the backdoor in the kitchen plugged in to a wall, if you havent lived that you might not entirely get what I am talking about regarding my clunkiness in adopting new technology.

My daughter is amazed that I owned an iphone for over a year and never used it. She thinks I am a barbarian because I dont like to text. My son doesnt even bother and gives me the condescending smirk one might give an ignoramus when we talk about new computer gadgetry, and I am a professional software engineer! lolol

Can you relate to that sort of thing? Maybe you can, if so, then you have more to offer an older guy than just a cute smile and attractive shape.

I have a teenager, I remember rotary phones and party lines (let alone just land-line phones), and I only text when it's an absolute necessity, and really hate the practice.

Nevertheless, while I date men in their twenties, I don't date STUPID men, and I toss the immature ones to the curb. It doesn't require one to have a teenager to understand issues with dealing with a teenager, and maybe a little sympathy for him from an objective observer is what I need to give me perspective. In an information age full of pictures and movies and records of what previous times were like, there's no reason why a reasonably intelligent, informed person shouldn't be able to understand what the world was like before they were born.

Understanding and having a "shared" experience are two different things. I grew up during the 70's and came of age in the 80's. Some one who grew up in the 80's and came of age in the 90's or 90's and 00's had a totally different experience. They have a different perspective on just about everything and a very different world view. The older one gets, the more it is about the relationship and companionship than it is about sex for sex's sake. If we're just talking about screwing, yeah, you can do that with anyone at anytime.

Your probably right, that or the previous generations took the until death do us part literally and stayed together no matter how miserable they were.

Again, I think that's the "spoiled" part speaking that assumes they were miserable. Humans are amazingly adaptable creatures; once you take out the flighty, "I can just leave when it stops being a fairy tale" aspect, I'd say most people found a way to be happy anyway.

I say this because I've been married to my husband for seventeen years and counting. Is it perfect? No. Does it have problems? Hell, yes. Am I going anywhere? No, so I work with what's here to be happy anyway.

I think it's also only relatively recently that people have gotten the notion that life is supposed to make them happy, instead of happiness being something that they produce inside themselves.

I think alot of people come into marriage with unrealistic expectations that everything will automatically be better, when that doesn't happen they are running for the door. Unrealistic wedding shows on tv like the Kardashians and Kendra doesn't help either because that isn't the marriages 99% of people are having, but thats what people want.

Yes, unrealistic expectations and lack of commitment. When you take those vows you have to take them seriously.

My husband is 12 years younger than I am. : ) We've been together 21 years. I always dated older guys before him. It wasn't planned, it just happened. I tried to resist him but he was just too funny and sexy and intelligent. And he loves animals. All qualities I admire.

No partner is going to be perfect, so you have to decide if their flaws are ones you can live with, or not. Never think you're going to change them, that's the wrong attitude going in! My husband has plenty of flaws, but his good qualities far outweigh his flaws. I just overlook the flaws, no sense in nagging about them. Most of the time, anyway. : )

I'm a little confused about what's so special about "same generation". Maybe once upon a time, that made a big difference. In this technological information age, it's incredibly easy for people across the age spectrum to share the same knowledge, hobbies, musical tastes . . . And let's face it, age is really not much of a guarantor of maturity any more.

It is hard to explain. For example, if I were to try to relate something to you about some of my teen sons attitudes, if you havent been through that, you might not get it or would sympathize with my son, perhaps.

When I say that a phone is not something you carry in your pocket, but it is a black thing with a handle on the end of a cord that sits on a phone book on a stand next to the backdoor in the kitchen plugged in to a wall, if you havent lived that you might not entirely get what I am talking about regarding my clunkiness in adopting new technology.

My daughter is amazed that I owned an iphone for over a year and never used it. She thinks I am a barbarian because I dont like to text. My son doesnt even bother and gives me the condescending smirk one might give an ignoramus when we talk about new computer gadgetry, and I am a professional software engineer! lolol

Can you relate to that sort of thing? Maybe you can, if so, then you have more to offer an older guy than just a cute smile and attractive shape.

I have a teenager, I remember rotary phones and party lines (let alone just land-line phones), and I only text when it's an absolute necessity, and really hate the practice.

Nevertheless, while I date men in their twenties, I don't date STUPID men, and I toss the immature ones to the curb. It doesn't require one to have a teenager to understand issues with dealing with a teenager, and maybe a little sympathy for him from an objective observer is what I need to give me perspective. In an information age full of pictures and movies and records of what previous times were like, there's no reason why a reasonably intelligent, informed person shouldn't be able to understand what the world was like before they were born.

In TV shows, movies, songs, pictures etc, its just data. The experience of living it is much different.

Connecting to another person is not just a matter of being able to repeat various facts; it has to do with living those facts and the expectations that that upbringing leaves us as we live in a time where gadgetry has surpassed anything we ever really thought would happen.

You have a computer, in all likelihood, that is more powerful than the top of the line CRAY supercomputers when I was in high school. You and I may live to be 150, see the cure of cancer and be the first generation that has a complete youthful regeneration of their bodies, etc.

Wouldnt you rather go through life with a partner that shares you amazement instead of dismissing it as an inevitability because they grew up with that sort of thing in their Saturday morning sci-fi cartoons? (Saturday? they run 24/7 now, Lord Almighty!)

Nevertheless, while I date men in their twenties, I don't date STUPID men, and I toss the immature ones to the curb.

Well, I am starting to understand why you may be so happy. :D

Yes, unrealistic expectations and lack of commitment. When you take those vows you have to take them seriously.

My husband is 12 years younger than I am. : ) We've been together 21 years. I always dated older guys before him. It wasn't planned, it just happened. I tried to resist him but he was just too funny and sexy and intelligent. And he loves animals. All qualities I admire.

No partner is going to be perfect, so you have to decide if their flaws are ones you can live with, or not. Never think you're going to change them, that's the wrong attitude going in! My husband has plenty of flaws, but his good qualities far outweigh his flaws. I just overlook the flaws, no sense in nagging about them. Most of the time, anyway. : )

I agree with you, marriage is a commitment and it is very, very hard work. I see so many people that expect marriage to be a happily ever aftter scenario and when they see the type of hard work it really is, they fold like a belt. All the fun stuff you did when you were both single and all the nightly sex romps comes to a grinding halt when you are married with kids and you are building a home and a family.

Understanding and having a "shared" experience are two different things. I grew up during the 70's and came of age in the 80's. Some one who grew up in the 80's and came of age in the 90's or 90's and 00's had a totally different experience. They have a different perspective on just about everything and a very different world view. The older one gets, the more it is about the relationship and companionship than it is about sex for sex's sake. If we're just talking about screwing, yeah, you can do that with anyone at anytime.

I can't say it's ever been a huge factor in my relationships that "Ooh, he went to video arcades, too". Mind you, I can actually compare. I have a husband who DID share the exact same time period with me (his birthday is the day after mine), and I have boyfriends who are significantly younger. While it is entertaining to sometimes discuss what it was like to grow up when I did versus what it was like when they were growing up, our relationships are based much more on what we share NOW (and no, I don't just mean sex).

I suspect it's more important to share the same social class and family type than the same time period, in all honesty. I note that my boyfriends usually come from solid, middle class families, often with both parents in residence but with a good relationship between them if divorced, just as my husband and I do.

In TV shows, movies, songs, pictures etc, its just data. The experience of living it is much different.

Connecting to another person is not just a matter of being able to repeat various facts; it has to do with living those facts and the expectations that that upbringing leaves us as we live in a time where gadgetry has surpassed anything we ever really thought would happen.

You have a computer, in all likelihood, that is more powerful than the top of the line CRAY supercomputers when I was in high school. You and I may live to be 150, see the cure of cancer and be the first generation that has a complete youthful regeneration of their bodies, etc.

Wouldnt you rather go through life with a partner that shares you amazement instead of dismissing it as an inevitability because they grew up with that sort of thing in their Saturday morning sci-fi cartoons? (Saturday? they run 24/7 now, Lord Almighty!)

I can honestly tell you that it has very little impact one way or another on my relationships.

Nevertheless, while I date men in their twenties, I don't date STUPID men, and I toss the immature ones to the curb.

It has its ups and its downs.

It has its ups and its downs.

If you don't mind me asking is your husband allowed to see other people too?

I don't think age has anything to do with wanting good sex. I think it has more to do with how a woman perceives her own body and how her mate or flavor- of -the- month, responds to it. When a woman likes the way she looks in a mirror, hot sex is just a glance and a touch, away. :D

Pheromones do not disappear under the right circumstances.....

Last edited:
I don't think age has anything to do with wanting good sex. I think it has more to do with how a woman perceives her own body and how her mate or flavor- of -the- month, responds to it. When a woman likes the way she looks in a mirror, hot sex is just a glance and a touch, away. :D
Phermones do not disappear under the right circumstances.....

I think you are spot on Aqua. :thup:

First, I detest the phrase 'Cougar' and it's connotations. My theory and my own experience...It has nothing to do with procreating or "speading the seed" at all. In fact, quite the opposite. Gone are the worries of birth control..diaphragms, pills, IUDs, shots. Along with this, no more worries about PMS, monthly cycles and all the things they entail. Not having to fuss with all that and not having to worry about pregnancy has a surprising effect on one's desire for sex. ;) It's liberating. Also, older women have usually raised their kids and there are fewer children related demands, household chores, bills, etc., that distract them and drain their energy. Aside from that, hopefully over the years, women have educated themselves beyond what mom told them about sex, and have gotten more intuned with their bodies, their needs and desires and have developed a voice to let their partners know and once you've been 'there' ;) there's no going back to mundane sex.

Also, I don't think it has anything to do with wanting younger guys. Personally, I want someone who has some experience, has developed his control of urgency to not overcome him, and has learned that pleasing a woman leads to not only better mutual sex, but a lot more of it. Young pups, while they may be good eye candy and nice thoughts for fantasy and the ego, don't have the experience, the knowledge, the patience, at least not for me.

First, I detest the phrase 'Cougar' and it's connotations. My theory and my own experience...It has nothing to do with procreating or "speading the seed" at all. In fact, quite the opposite. Gone are the worries of birth control..diaphragms, pills, IUDs, shots. Along with this, no more worries about PMS, monthly cycles and all the things they entail. Not having to fuss with all that and not having to worry about pregnancy has a surprising effect on one's desire for sex. ;) It's liberating. Also, older women have usually raised their kids and there are fewer children related demands, household chores, bills, etc., that distract them and drain their energy. Aside from that, hopefully over the years, women have educated themselves beyond what mom told them about sex, and have gotten more intuned with their bodies, their needs and desires and have developed a voice to let their partners know and once you've been 'there' ;) there's no going back to mundane sex.

Also, I don't think it has anything to do with wanting younger guys. Personally, I want someone who has some experience, has developed his control of urgency to not overcome him, and has learned that pleasing a woman leads to not only better mutual sex, but a lot more of it. Young pups, while they may be good eye candy and nice thoughts for fantasy and the ego, don't have the experience, the knowledge, the patience, at least not for me.

I think alot of the older women that pursue younger men do so because they know no real relationship can come of it, just fun and good sex.

to answer the question of the op,

I would imagine that the older women that go after younger men, do so for the same reasons that some older men go after younger women....

to make themselves feel better.

it could be the thought of still being attractive to a younger person, it could be for the need to dominate, for the need to be sexy, for their own lack of self esteem.....? Who knows, a number of things that are self serving....?

So older chicks who like like younger dudes are called cougars.

You know what they call older dudes who like younger chicks?

Dudes.

Forum List

Back