The Saving American Democracy Amendment

Sanders’ proposal is as inane and wrongheaded as the right’s desire to amend the Constitution with regard to citizenship at birth.

This is an example of the left’s failure to respect the rule of law.

This sounds reasonable enough, though I think it misses the mark on doing anything substantial about corporate/government collusion. I still need to read the full amendment though. Certainly worth a shot.

Hmm... read a little of the amendment proper and i can't really support it as written. Particularly Section 4 which goes well beyond the purpose of restricting corporate influence.

It conflicts with the most fundamental doctrine of the Constitution: the rule of law. That even if a majority of Americans disagree with a given ruling or a ruling overturns a popular law or referendum, the people accept that decision as settled law.

This establishes precedent and consistency, regardless who may occupy the WH or control Congress, each citizen knows that his civil liberties will be protected regardless who is ‘in power.’

It also exhibits a lack of understanding with regard to Citizen United; in that the ruling essentially changes nothing; the individual voter has always been ultimately responsible for his vote, it has always been the voter’s responsibility to educate himself with regard to the issues.

It conflicts with the most fundamental doctrine of the Constitution: the rule of law. That even if a majority of Americans disagree with a given ruling or a ruling overturns a popular law or referendum, the people accept that decision as settled law.

How does amending the Constitution conflict with the rule of law?

It also exhibits a lack of understanding with regard to Citizen United; in that the ruling essentially changes nothing; the individual voter has always been ultimately responsible for his vote, it has always been the voter’s responsibility to educate himself with regard to the issues.

I'll buy that argument. As I said, I don't think I could support the amendment as written. But I am sympathetic to growing concern over corporate/government collusion.

Forum List

Back