The Saddam trial has begun

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4356432.stm

The trial of former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein for crimes against humanity has begun in Baghdad.

He made an outspoken attack on the judicial process and refused to answer questions.

Here are excerpts from the interchange between Saddam Hussein and chief judge Rizgar Mohammed Amin:

Saddam:
Those who fought in God's cause will be victorious... I am at the mercy of God, the most powerful.

Judge Amin:
Mr Saddam, please tell us your identity, your name.... You have enough time, you will have enough time to say whatever you like and to express your thoughts. But this court has procedure and we have to follow the procedure.

Saddam:
Who are you? What are you doing here?

... I don't answer this so-called court, with all due respect. And I reserve my constitutional right as the president of the country of Iraq, I will not go along...

I don't acknowledge either the entity that authorises you, nor the aggression because everything based on falsehood is falsehood...

Have you ever been a judge before?

Judge Amin:
There is no room for this talk in the court.

Saddam:
I am here inside this military court from 0230 this morning and since 0900 I have been in this dress.

You know me, you are Iraqi and you know very well I don't get tired.

Judge Amin:
I am here to ask you about your identity.

Saddam:
I have answered this question in writing and have sent it to you.

Judge Amin:
... Mr Saddam, go ahead. Are you guilty or innocent?

Saddam:
I said what I said, I am not guilty, I am innocent.

LOL

The opening day included little besides a statement by Prosecuting Judge Jafaar al-Moussawi and innocent pleas by Saddam, his former vice president, his half-brother and five other former Baathist Party officials. It lasted about 3 hours, at which point Amin adjourned the proceedings until Nov. 28 to give the defense more time to prepare.

In his hometown of Tikrit, fellow Sunni Arabs held a support rally. In Dujail, protesters chanted, "Hang him."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2005-10-19-saddam-trial_x.htm

In the Dujail trial, Saddam Hussein and seven others have been charged with:

Premeditated murder
Imprisonment and the deprivation of physical movement
Forced deportation
Torture

Also, prosecutors are preparing cases against Saddam for allegedly committing other crimes during his 23-year rule, including:

The Anfal Operation, a military crackdown on the Kurds in the late 1980s that killed some 180,000 people.
The suppression of Kurdish and Shiite revolts in 1991
The deaths of 5,000 Kurds in a 1988 poison gas attack on the village of Halabja.

- Associated Press

Assasination of Saddam trial lawyer

After being kidnapped on thursday, Sadoun Nasouaf al-Janabi, thought to be one of 13 defence lawyers present in the courtroom when the trial opened on Wednesday, was found dead, and had been shot in the head and chest.
His body was identified on friday morning.

One report said seven other people were seized along with him on Thursday.

The trial is postponed until the 28th of November, as the defence stated it needed more time to study the evidence.

How many lawyers and judges will survive the coming month?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4363582.stm

Originally posted by Harmageddon:
Assasination of Saddam trial lawyer

How many lawyers and judges will survive the coming month?

PULL THE OTHER ONE!
BAGHDAD, Iraq - Three gunmen in a speeding car killed a lawyer for a co-defendant in Saddam Hussein’s trial and wounded another Tuesday in Baghdad, a member of the defense team and police said.

It was the second assassination of a lawyer associated with the trial and was likely to raise new questions about whether Iraq can conduct such a sensitive prosecution in the midst of insurgency and domestic turmoil.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9966676/

It is kinda funny how many of Saddam's lawyers were already killed.
Now why are they killed. Because somebody hates Saddam or
because friends of the old regime want to hinder the judicial process ?

nosarcasm said:
It is kinda funny how many of Saddam's lawyers were already killed.
Now why are they killed. Because somebody hates Saddam or
because friends of the old regime want to hinder the judicial process ?
That want the trial moved out of Iraq.

Forum List

Back