The Sacrament of Penance

There are some progressive churches that grant "blanket" forgiveness for folks who are intimidated by the confessional. I am one of those. My kids are not.

One of the changes I noticed when my kids had their first penance is that it is not even called "confession" or "penance" anymore It's called "reconciliation" and it's about making amends to those you have hurt. What a positive turn around.

Sounds a lot like AA, doesn't it? Lol

There are some progressive churches that grant "blanket" forgiveness for folks who are intimidated by the confessional. I am one of those. My kids are not.

One of the changes I noticed when my kids had their first penance is that it is not even called "confession" or "penance" anymore It's called "reconciliation" and it's about making amends to those you have hurt. What a positive turn around.

Sounds a lot like AA, doesn't it? Lol

But aren't you allowed to go straight to Christ in prayer, you know if you ask him forgiveness he will forgive you, and as far as the hurt of others the lords prayer say "forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors." That will take of that.

That's what most Catholics do froggy. We are supposed to go to confession once a month, but to be honest, I don't know too many adults who do that. The Catholic Church has way too many rules. Hard to keep up. lol

From a psychological standpoint, telling your trespasses aloud may have a greater impact than just thinking and praying about them. Like I said, my children and many of their friends feel it is cleansing. Not unlike therapy.

the confessional is one of the most intimidating and scary spots in the world! :eek:

Especially if you waited ten years to finally make the attempt.....

Bless me father for I have sinned....it has been 10 years since my last confession, and these are my sins.... :eek:

I will never forget that particular experience the rest of my life!

the confessional is one of the most intimidating and scary spots in the world! :eek:

Bless me father for I have sinned....it has been 10 years since my last confession, and these are my sins.... :eek:

And all that could have been done while riding down the road in your car.

That's what most Catholics do froggy. We are supposed to go to confession once a month, but to be honest, I don't know too many adults who do that. The Catholic Church has way too many rules. Hard to keep up. lol

From a psychological standpoint, telling your trespasses aloud may have a greater impact than just thinking and praying about them. Like I said, my children and many of their friends feel it is cleansing. Not unlike therapy.

And none of you have asked why they have that rule. I think telling God your sins, whether aloud or silently in your head will get the same results, as long as your sincere. I don't think living wrong six days a week and confessional on sunday will ever make it right.

do you think it wasn't also done traveling down the road? It took me weeks of soul searching preparing that 10 year check on my sins!

i am an excommunicated Catholic....because i remarried 6 years after my divorce of my first husband....my husband and I are non-denominational Christians....and have been for 20 years now....no confessions with the Priest....but part of me, misses it.

And none of you have asked why they have that rule. I think telling God your sins, whether aloud or silently in your head will get the same results, as long as your sincere. I don't think living wrong six days a week and confessional on sunday will ever make it right.

I agree. Telling God your sins aloud or in your head will get the same results as long as you're sincere.

As a Buddhist, I don't believe in a creator God, but we have purification practices too called the Four Opponent Powers.

The Four Opponent Powers:

1. Regret. Regret is not guilt. Sorting out and acknowledging our responsibilities

2. Restoring the relationship. Altruism as antidote to harming sentient beings. Taking refuge as antidote to harming holy beings. Avoid being sectarian

3. Determination not to repeat the action

4. Remedial Actions

do you think it wasn't also done traveling down the road? It took me weeks of soul searching preparing that 10 year check on my sins!

i am an excommunicated Catholic....because i remarried 6 years after my divorce of my first husband....my husband and I are non-denominational Christians....and have been for 20 years now....no confessions with the Priest....but part of me, misses it.

God takes confessions 24/7, great guy.

of course He does! There isn't a Catholic around that doesn't know this Froggy....and no one waits for the confessional booth to repent when they know they have sinned.....

confessing ones sins out loud to someone else is part of the catholic church's TRADITION....no foul, no harm....imo.

of course He does! There isn't a Catholic around that doesn't know this Froggy....and no one waits for the confessional booth to repent when they know they have sinned.....

confessing ones sins out loud to someone else is part of the catholic church's TRADITION....no foul, no harm....imo.

I was raised in the Catholic Church but unlike you I don't miss the confessional. I always thought the process was contrived. I find it much more meaningful to use the four opponent powers.

I can see that sky, and in my youth, that's what it seemed to me as well...just routine....it was not until my last confession, right before matt and I got married and i got excommunicated, that I learned to appreciate the sacrament and the face to face confession...

your method seems really cool, a very nice approach to self evaluation.

I can see that sky, and in my youth, that's what it seemed to me as well...just routine....it was not until my last confession, right before matt and I got married and i got excommunicated, that I learned to appreciate the sacrament and the face to face confession...

your method seems really cool, a very nice approach to self evaluation.

I'm interested in your experience, Care. What made that particular face to face confession so meaningful to you? What allowed you to experience penance as a sacrament?

Last edited:

I'm in a similar situation re: divorce/remarriage, but I don't think you and I are excommunicated per se. As I understand it, I'm not able to receive the sacrements because my previous marriage was not annulled (sp?). It also concerns my wife's previous marriage which would need to be addressed too. I refuse to drag her into the fray. I can attend mass all I want (and I do miss that), but no sacrements.

Does that make sense, care4?

I'm aware that the subject of excommunication pushes buttons for me. It's painful for me to hear about people who seem like perfectly good people-good Christians, being excommunicated.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back