The Sacrament of Penance

I'm aware that the subject of excommunication pushes buttons for me. It's painful for me to hear about people who seem like perfectly good people-good Christians, being excommunicated.

What gives them the right, God didn't excommunicate you. Man made rules do harm to Christianity.

The law of remarriage in ancient Israel.

When she has departed from his house, and goes and becomes another man’s wife, if the latter husband detests her and writes her a certificate of divorce, puts it in her hand, and sends her out of his house, or if the latter husband dies who took her as his wife, then her former husband who divorced her must not take her back to be his wife after she has been defiled; for that is an abomination before the Lord, and you shall not bring sin on the land which the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance.

And all that could have been done while riding down the road in your car.

do you think it wasn't also done traveling down the road? It took me weeks of soul searching preparing that 10 year check on my sins!

i am an excommunicated Catholic....because i remarried 6 years after my divorce of my first husband....my husband and I are non-denominational Christians....and have been for 20 years now....no confessions with the Priest....but part of me, misses it.

I'm in a similar situation re: divorce/remarriage, but I don't think you and I are excommunicated per se. As I understand it, I'm not able to receive the sacrements because my previous marriage was not annulled (sp?). It also concerns my wife's previous marriage which would need to be addressed too. I refuse to drag her into the fray. I can attend mass all I want (and I do miss that), but no sacrements.

Does that make sense, care4?

yes, makes sense....though that is what EX communicated means.....one can NOT partake in communion.

when i visit my parents, i still go to mass with them, but do not receive communion.

Gotcha. Thanks.

I saw my parrish priest when I was going thru the divorce. He explained the ramifications re: the church. But then he looked at me and said "I won't reject you". I just broke down and cried. He was a cool guy.

I'm aware that the subject of excommunication pushes buttons for me. It's painful for me to hear about people who seem like perfectly good people-good Christians, being excommunicated.

What gives them the right, God didn't excommunicate you. Man made rules do harm to Christianity.

When she has departed from his house, and goes and becomes another man’s wife, if the latter husband detests her and writes her a certificate of divorce, puts it in her hand, and sends her out of his house, or if the latter husband dies who took her as his wife, then her former husband who divorced her must not take her back to be his wife after she has been defiled; for that is an abomination before the Lord, and you shall not bring sin on the land which the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance.

fyi
new testament, Christ speaking!
Matthew 19
Divorce
1When Jesus had finished saying these things, he left Galilee and went into the region of Judea to the other side of the Jordan. 2Large crowds followed him, and he healed them there.

3Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?"

4"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,'[a] 5and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'? 6So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

7"Why then," they asked, "did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?"

8Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. 9I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."

That's what most Catholics do froggy. We are supposed to go to confession once a month, but to be honest, I don't know too many adults who do that. The Catholic Church has way too many rules. Hard to keep up. lol

From a psychological standpoint, telling your trespasses aloud may have a greater impact than just thinking and praying about them. Like I said, my children and many of their friends feel it is cleansing. Not unlike therapy.

And none of you have asked why they have that rule. I think telling God your sins, whether aloud or silently in your head will get the same results, as long as your sincere. I don't think living wrong six days a week and confessional on sunday will ever make it right.
Why do you care? Are you one of those fundamentalists that believes that as long as you accept Jesus for your savior you can commit crimes with impunity? :eusa_eh:

Are you calling froggy a criminal? No one can commit crimes with impunity, but there is far more hope for redemption in those that can recognize and atone for a sin. Its called contrition.

fyi
Matthew 19
Divorce
1When Jesus had finished saying these things, he left Galilee and went into the region of Judea to the other side of the Jordan. 2Large crowds followed him, and he healed them there.

3Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?"

4"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,'[a] 5and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'? 6So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

7"Why then," they asked, "did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?"

8Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. 9I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."

No he told them "What is Gods law given through Moses.

That's what most Catholics do froggy. We are supposed to go to confession once a month, but to be honest, I don't know too many adults who do that. The Catholic Church has way too many rules. Hard to keep up. lol

From a psychological standpoint, telling your trespasses aloud may have a greater impact than just thinking and praying about them. Like I said, my children and many of their friends feel it is cleansing. Not unlike therapy.

And none of you have asked why they have that rule. I think telling God your sins, whether aloud or silently in your head will get the same results, as long as your sincere. I don't think living wrong six days a week and confessional on sunday will ever make it right.
Why do you care? Are you one of those fundamentalists that believes that as long as you accept Jesus for your savior you can commit crimes with impunity? :eusa_eh:

No, and i don't need a man to intervene for me to God. I've got Jesus Christ to do that for me.

Here is what I have against the idea of penance and confession. Some things should never be forgiven. The idea that all you have to do is confess and get right with god is crap.

just saying.

No, and i don't need a man to intervene for me to God. I've got Jesus Christ to do that for me.
It is their job...Jesus gave it to them. If you have a problem with this, I suggest you take it up with Jesus.
He said therefore to them [the Apostles] again: Peace be to you. As the Father has sent me, I also send you. When he had said this, he breathed on them; and he said to them: Receive the Holy Ghost. Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them: and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.

Here is what I have against the idea of penance and confession. Some things should never be forgiven. The idea that all you have to do is confess and get right with god is crap.

just saying.
Be that as it may...that you think it is crap...in reality you don't just have to confess, you also have to be contrite.

just saying.
Be that as it may...that you think it is crap...in reality you don't just have to confess, you also have to be contrite.

Being sorry you did the deed makes no difference that you did in fact do the deed. And just for clarity i am not talking about you day to day stuff, but the relay bad shit. Such as child molesting.

The "I am really sorry i got caught syndrome" or the "now i am feeling guilty syndrome" so now i'll just confess it all and get right with god just doesn't work for me.

just saying.

Being sorry you did the deed makes no difference that you did in fact do the deed. And just for clarity i am not talking about you day to day stuff, but the relay bad shit. Such as child molesting.

The "I am really sorry i got caught syndrome" or the "now i am feeling guilty syndrome" so now i'll just confess it all and get right with god just doesn't work for me.

There is such a thing as genuine remorse. That doesn't get anyone off the hook when the law has been broken. Actions have consequences.

just saying.

It isn't meant to work for anyone.

I'm probably just not explaining it properly or maybe you just don't understand the definition of contrite.

I'm probably just not explaining it properly or maybe you just don't understand the definition of contrite.

I understand what you are saying ravi. And I am sure they are VERY contrite, fear of god and all. My point is that just saying you are sorry, confessing all and being contrite, in my opinion...is wrong.

I understand what you are saying ravi. And I am sure they are VERY contrite, fear of god and all. My point is that just saying you are sorry, confessing all and being contrite, in my opinion...is wrong.

Well...I don't make the rules. :lol:

btw, I don't think everyone feels contrite simply because they fear God. In fact I really don't see how it is possible to be genuinely contrite if that is the reasoning behind it.

That's why buddhist confession has four parts. There has to be a committment to never doing the wrong again and a remedial action plan that follows out of that committment.

fyi
Matthew 19
Divorce

No he told them "What is Gods law given through Moses.

Christ told them, what is writen above....what does the full passage mean to you?

Forum List

Back