The Rubber Room

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
I just ran across this and thought it was interesting.. My general feeling is that with teachers unions, tenure and the fact that teachers can't be fired .. well it sucks.. Could I be wrong?

New York City and its teachers union agreed this week to shut down so-called "rubber rooms," reassignment centers where hundreds of suspended teachers go each school day instead of the classroom while their cases are pending. The teachers can sit for years and do nothing while still getting paid.

Because the teachers all have tenure, they can't be fired or returned to the classroom until the allegations of misconduct or incompetence have been investigated. The situation had become an embarrassment for the city and the union.

NYC To Close 'Rubber Rooms' For Teachers In Trouble : NPR

At age 75, Roland Pierre is the granddaddy of the rubber room -- 13 years in the purgatory of teachers yanked from the classroom for alleged wrongdoing. But the Department of Education can't fire Pierre, and he's stuck around long past the minimum retirement age.

Pierre was permanently removed from the classroom in 1997 after he was accused of sexually molesting a sixth-grade girl at PS 138 in Brooklyn.

But since then, Pierre has continued to receive full pay and fringe benefits, including health, pension and vacation, officials said. He pulls down $97,101 a year. The DOE has no required retirement age. Hired in 1986, Pierre could have retired at age 62. At his age, he can collect Social Security as well as his full salary, so his income may be close to $125,000 a year, sources said.

Read more: Geezer teach in rubber room 13 years - NYPOST.com

Insanity.

And how many here think that NYC's policies exist in their local school districts?

I'm here to tell you they do not.

I thought it was about... uhhhh nevermind.

I like to think I speak for everyone when I say we'd rather not know of any rubber dungeons you may or may not (but probably do) have, Big Fitz.

But feel free to p.m the details i.e - measurements, capacity, history and your preferred instruments of intrusion.

funny-pictures-cats-have-toys.jpg

I think I sprained vocal chord laughing, Swagger.

It shouldn't be. It be a source of perpetual outrage by the taxpayers and the union.

except it was done to death on this board....

and ny already said they're getting rid of the rooms.

so the point is kind of moot.

I know they announced this a while ago. Has anyone heard what they are going to do with the teachers? They will save the rent on the room however that does not deal with them getting their salaries. Are they now just going to get to stay home while they get paid?

Forum List

Back