the parents flunked

Discussion in 'Education' started by Baruch Menachem, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    got this from Dr. Laura.

Teacher wrote a blog on her experiences as a teacher. It didn't identify her, the school, the kids, it just talked basic issues in education, among which is students who don't get the message.

It looks like she lost the thread too, of course.

The parents, who read the blog, wrote the administration at the private school, which canned the teacher.

While I think the teacher is a bit of an idjit (anyone who praises 0bama qualifies for me as an idjit) the fact remains the student did not do the assigned homework, but did something totally different. This is a frustrating thing, when we ask that things be done, and the opposite happens. Must be even more so for a teacher. the teacher followed the rules. I think she was unfairly dismissed, and I think the parents did their daughter a disservice by complaining. You do the assignment. That is the big life lesson of high school

2. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Not to belabor the obvious, but if her only beef was that the student wrote an essay called Obama's Lies I don't see that as not fitting the assignment. It is entirely possible to write an essay with a conciliatory point of view by using Obama as an example of how not to be conciliatory. It wouldn't be easy for a high school student, I admit, but it is possible.

3. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    It's a slippery slope, but I'm with BM. Hyper-sensitivity about controversial subjects has a chilling effect on education. If teachers can be fired for taking risks, they will never encourage their students to. Let's see - Johnny gets a bad grade on an assignment bringing his GPA down a fraction of a point. Teacher loses job. Yeah - that's fair. NOT.

In the very near future teachers will be like robots reading from a script - lest we not offend.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  4. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,439
    it is odd that teachers seldom get fired for poor performance but if a teacher says something contraversial...

5. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    This kind of thing is the reason the teachers are so heavily unionized and the unions are so ferocious and anal.

This was not a public school, which has to go through procedures. This is a private school.

I do think the teacher should have done more homework, as the 2nd inaugural wasn't that conciliatory. Parts were, because the war was very nearly over. Sherman was in North Carolina, Appomattox was three weeks away. But a bunch of it was "They started it, and now we are going to finish it."

The teacher made an assignment which the student blew off. That is not how you get ahead in the world.

6. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Well I just read the whole article, and it seems she wouldn't let it go. She was asked to discontinue blogging about it, and she didn't.

It seems she cared more about her blog than her job. Oh well.