The Rolling Stone article: As bad as advertised

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Ragnar, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Ragnar

Ragnar <--- Pic is not me

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Per Hot Air...
    Hot Air The Rolling Stone article: As bad as advertised

Uh, duh. McChrystal should resign or get fired.

Ed goes on to say that McChrystal ain't no Patton or MacArthur "So far, McChrystal hasn’t earned enough leash by winning anything." I guess I agree with this. If it's the case that CinC Obama had policy problems that make winning unlikely or not possible then McChrystal should have quit and said so. You follow the chain of command or you quit and say why you can't.

More at Politico...
    Furious President Obama summons Gen. Stanley McChrystal to D.C. - Gordon Lubold - POLITICO.com

2. Ragnar

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +843
    WaPo on the first "casualty" of this whole debacle...
    washingtonpost.com

3. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    Lincoln had problems with loudmouth generals like Burnside and Hooker as well. They didn't last long.

One of the huge advantages to Grant (besides the fact he won consistently) was he kept his mouth shut

You have to wonder about what 0bama is thinking, as he has a history of this kind of really brilliant appointment.

Guy has to go. You can't have an insubordinate commander in a democratic military. If we can't keep a brilliant leader like McArthur, we have no time for a bureaucratic time waster either.

4. Ragnar

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Good points.

I do think President Obama made it tough on himself by putting a timeline on the war. Already NATO and Michael O’Hanlon of the Left leaning Brookings Inst. (per Politico link) have expressed support for McChrystal. So has John Kerry (who served in Vietnam :p) of all people. (no link, I just heard him on the radio)

McChrystal may just be headed to the White House for a spanking but if I were betting on it, I'd say he is working on his resume in the plane right now.