Well, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Care4all, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,081
    After 911 our government set up a fund for the survivors of people killed in the attacks that day to draw from.

there was a stipulation that said if you agreed to this money, then you agreed to not sue for more money.

This is a NORMAL type procedure for these type of funds, you are relinquishing your right to sue for more in damages.

More than likely, the funds for the gulf coast oil spill victims, will have the same concession....so those being harmed by this, better be certain they are getting the whole shebang of their losses upfront....because they will have to agree, not to sue for more damages down the road.

2. Care4all

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,081
    don't get me wrong, the 20 billion in the fund is much much much more than the 75 million dollar cap that was in our laws to protect oil companies....but 'buyer' beware, that this will be all you get from bp, so make certain you calculate ALL of your potential damages before requesting the money from them.

3. Nate

Nate VIP Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +153
    I would say for them to wait since the extent of the damage is still uncertain and there's no way to know how long it would take for the Southern coast to rebound from this. But because these people are struggling now a lot of them taking the quick and guaranteed money.

4. sangha

sangha Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +179
    As far as I know, the BP escrow claims process does not require anyone to relinquish the right to file future claims against BP

5. Care4all

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,081
    i heard on msnbc this morning, that it would or does include this disclaimer....just caught the end of it on scarborough country...

besides the fact, that THIS IS how all or most all of these funds work...

6. Alpha1

Alpha1 NAVY

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Well, that identifies part of the problem....getting your news and talking points form MSNBC.....and just because its Scarborough Country makes no difference...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Care4all

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,081
    with 911, most all of them took the settlement money offered from the fund....but there were a handful of people that held back from taking it, and sued for more funds.

I was downsized at my last job, along with 600 other people.

the company had a severance kitty/fund.

as an executive with the corporation i was offered 6 months severance pay, plus unemployment, plus the company paid my health care insurance and life insurance during that 6 months....but i had to sign a non-competitive doc saying i would not go to work for one of their competitors during that 6 months, or disclose any private information about the corporation or their marketing plans, AND sign a concession that I would NOT SUE THEM for more in damages down the road.

i think this is pretty typical...???

8. Care4all

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,081
    don't you think you should try to find out if this is true or not instead of this knee jerk reaction of bashing the media before you know the facts alpha? ;)

9. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    I do not know if things have changed in the last week or so, but, if I am not mistaken when the fund was set up and President Obama announced it, he stated that accepting funds from the relief fund would not prevent anyone from seeking further claims in the future nor would they waive their right to sue.

I don't know for sure that things did not later change, but I have not heard that to have been the case.

Immie

10. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    He's a troll.

Like Superman and Kryptonite, trolls are destroyed by facts.