The Right Flames the Volt

Bought a Prius last week. Still have half a tank of gas + (11.5 Gal tank) and have 285 miles on it as of this morning. We'll be taking a ride this morning to Half Moon Bay (near where the Maverick's big wave contest is held) for a Dungeness Crab lunch. I expect we will have plenty of gas after the round trip of around 120 miles.

Battery, BTW, has a 150,000 warranty, drive train 100,000 and the first two years include all maintenance.

We would have bought the Volt, but at $42,500 or so it was nearly $20,000 more than we paid for the Prius.
Thank you for exemplifying why I don't like Toyota Pious owners. It's like buying a Chihuahua for your purse as a status symbol or adopting a child from a third world nation.

That said, they are good for urban stop/start driving, if you don't suck at driving. For long distance driving, you should have gotten a VW GTI/Golf Diesel. That's about the best there is for hiway miles... just don't get to excited about the room you have in it.

I'd never own another VW, to many electrical issues, just my experience and yes, Prius owners are annoying.

We had a cab company, a few years ago they open and bought all Prius', the company is no longer, it drives like it's size.

Last edited:
Bought a Prius last week. Still have half a tank of gas + (11.5 Gal tank) and have 285 miles on it as of this morning. We'll be taking a ride this morning to Half Moon Bay (near where the Maverick's big wave contest is held) for a Dungeness Crab lunch. I expect we will have plenty of gas after the round trip of around 120 miles.

Battery, BTW, has a 150,000 warranty, drive train 100,000 and the first two years include all maintenance.

We would have bought the Volt, but at $42,500 or so it was nearly $20,000 more than we paid for the Prius.
Thank you for exemplifying why I don't like Toyota Pious owners. It's like buying a Chihuahua for your purse as a status symbol or adopting a child from a third world nation.

That said, they are good for urban stop/start driving, if you don't suck at driving. For long distance driving, you should have gotten a VW GTI/Golf Diesel. That's about the best there is for hiway miles... just don't get to excited about the room you have in it.

I don't like small dogs and have never liked small cars. I drive a Honda Odyssey, before that I had Chevy and Dodge Vans (used for camping, tailgating at 9er games and surfboard and kayak transport); the Prius is our second get-about vehicle and my wife and son will be driving the Prius most of the time. That said I drove it today to Half Moon Bay with my wife, her mom and my oldest son. I'm 6'2" and my son is 6" even and we had plenty of room. We now have 476 miles on the Prius and still have two bars on the gas gauge. I'll fill up tomorrow but I'm sure we are getting at least 50 MPG (city and highway combined).

I don't understand why some are so down on new technology (well I do, but I'll leave that for the politics or flame thread).

Years ago I drove a 220 D MBZ Diesel. Nice car but twice I needed AAA to rescue me in the snow when the fuel system froze.

Not big into subsidizing any business.

Only 10,000 have been sold since it was built, it seems to me, no one is supporting the VOLT.

Let's not confuse capacity with demand. The 2011 target for sales of Volt was set at 10,000 because that's all that was expected to be produced on a new assembly line not yet running at full capacity. For that reason, sales were limited to only a handful of states

So liberals are not really buying them either but the liberals want everyone to support what they aren't supporting?

How many liberals on this forum own a VOLT?

If you don't own one, why are you not supporting it?

I'm not a liberal, but I lease one and I (we, actually... Wife drives it most) are more happy with this car than any other car we've owned in the almost 20 years we've been married. And we've owned some really good cars.

The issue is not a matter if should liberals be supporting a car. The QUESTION is why are far-right conservatives going way out of their way to attack a car? The question is rhetorical.

More People Are Buying Hybrid Cars. So Why Won't They Stick With Them? - Forbes

65% of hybrid owners won't buy another one.

So hybrids obviously ain't as great as you people think

The 65% stat on hybrids is true. But here's another stat.....Consumer Reports says that 93% of Volt owners would purchase the vehicle again. Number two was a tie between Dodge Challenger and Porsche 911 at 91%.

Thing is, even though the media calls the Volt a hybrid, what it really is is an electric vehicle with a backup plan. So people are pleasantly surprised at how much driving they can do with no gas at all. Everyone I've communicated with personally and on the Internet who has a Volt has exceeded the sticker mileage. We're at about 2,200 miles and still only burned 2.7 gallons of gas. The engine hasn't even turned on in almost a month. True hybrid vehicles have the gas engine running most of the time.

Let's face it.....the Volt is such a flawed concept that within the next 3 years there will be 6 more car companies bringing vehicles to the market that operate on the same electric vehicle with on-board generator system as the Volt. Yup, some very well heeled car companies are lining up to duplicate Chevrolet's "mistake". And at this point, it appears that EVERY ONE OF THEM will be priced higher than the Volt is priced today. I take that back....not certain where the Hyundai is likely to be priced.

The 65% stat on hybrids is true. But here's another stat.....Consumer Reports says that 93% of Volt owners would purchase the vehicle again. Number two was a tie between Dodge Challenger and Porsche 911 at 91%.

Thing is, even though the media calls the Volt a hybrid, what it really is is an electric vehicle with a backup plan. So people are pleasantly surprised at how much driving they can do with no gas at all. Everyone I've communicated with personally and on the Internet who has a Volt has exceeded the sticker mileage. We're at about 2,200 miles and still only burned 2.7 gallons of gas. The engine hasn't even turned on in almost a month. True hybrid vehicles have the gas engine running most of the time.
I wonder what the political affiliation of those who purchase them. Same with the Toyota Pious.

I wonder what the political affiliation of those who purchase them. Same with the Toyota Pious.

......and that is important because............?

For long distance driving, you should have gotten a VW GTI/Golf Diesel. That's about the best there is for hiway miles... just don't get to excited about the room you have in it.

Toyota Camry hybrid, 40mpg+, 500-600 miles of range, 2AZ-FXE motor (about as reliable a engine as Toyota makes), room for 4 plus dog and a weeks worth of junk in the trunk for grandma's house. And regular gas is cheaper than diesel in most places, plus you don't get VW reliability (hey! who turned on the CEL! AGAIN!)

Ford Focus turbo diesel 67 mpg and seats four comfortably.

Equipped with a 104-horsepower, 1.6-liter Duratorq diesel I-4, Ford claims the Focus Econetic is capable of 80 Imperial Miles per gallon. Converting from the European testing cycle to the scale we use can be tricky—as the testing criteria and conditions are different—but that translates roughly to 67 mpg ( U.S.). This is achieved using a combination of new engine technologies and various aerodynamic enhancements.

The Duratorq diesel engine features a common rail system capable of generating 23,200 PSI injection pressures. Low-friction materials are used in the piston rings, helping to reduce resistance inside the engine. Further helping efficiency is a variable pressure oil pump, which was designed to lubricate the engine’s internals more effectively.

Read more: 67-mpg Turbo Diesel Ford Focus Bound for UK - Rumor Central

For long distance driving, you should have gotten a VW GTI/Golf Diesel. That's about the best there is for hiway miles... just don't get to excited about the room you have in it.

Toyota Camry hybrid, 40mpg+, 500-600 miles of range, 2AZ-FXE motor (about as reliable a engine as Toyota makes), room for 4 plus dog and a weeks worth of junk in the trunk for grandma's house. And regular gas is cheaper than diesel in most places, plus you don't get VW reliability (hey! who turned on the CEL! AGAIN!)

Equipped with a 104-horsepower, 1.6-liter Duratorq diesel I-4, Ford claims the Focus Econetic is capable of 80 Imperial Miles per gallon. Converting from the European testing cycle to the scale we use can be tricky—as the testing criteria and conditions are different—but that translates roughly to 67 mpg ( U.S.). This is achieved using a combination of new engine technologies and various aerodynamic enhancements.

The Duratorq diesel engine features a common rail system capable of generating 23,200 PSI injection pressures. Low-friction materials are used in the piston rings, helping to reduce resistance inside the engine. Further helping efficiency is a variable pressure oil pump, which was designed to lubricate the engine’s internals more effectively.

As with all Fords it seems, buy new, trade in on time.

As with all Fords it seems, buy new, trade in on time.

Yep. However there are VW's out there with turbo diesels that have been getting up to 70mpg for years.

Hey, if I could buy one of those at my local Ford dealership I would. But they don't have any, so I'll stick with something else for now. I think it is a crime that we can't get those European turbo-diesels though, VW is the only game in town right now, and they just don't cut the quality mustard.

The VOLT flames the Volt.

Oh yes, especially when compared to all those other cars, right?

car_on_fire.jpg

Hey, if I could buy one of those at my local Ford dealership I would. But they don't have any, so I'll stick with something else for now. I think it is a crime that we can't get those European turbo-diesels though, VW is the only game in town right now, and they just don't cut the quality mustard.

My friend has a TDI Jetta and it is quite good. He's racked up over 200,000 miles on it in 8 years and it's still going strong. I think the average mpg he gets is around 47-48, but he has been able to milk 60 on a few occasions when he concentrated on it.

My friend has a TDI Jetta and it is quite good. He's racked up over 200,000 miles on it in 8 years and it's still going strong. I think the average mpg he gets is around 47-48, but he has been able to milk 60 on a few occasions when he concentrated on it.

Some are good. My buddy bought his new Jetta TDI about the last time I seriously considered getting one. The CEL was on before he could get his new car home. I talked my insurance agent into getting one, and when he went to the hospital from carbon monoxide leaking into the passenger compartment, I decided to wait until more people have experiences like you have mentioned. Between bad MAF sensors, blown turbos, special oil changes and dual friction clutches costing $2G's to replace, let alone the fuel costing enough more to make up the mileage difference on a Camry, I'll stick with something else until a European diesel shows up from someone with a better reputation than VW.

Let's see what the reviews say:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyDKiETQIX0&feature=related]Chevrolet Volt Review - Everyday Driver - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back