The Right Flames the Volt

An electric car will never meet my needs.

And it won't meet the needs of many Americans. But it would easily meet the needs of 75% of Americans who commute less than 40 miles a day, and wish to (A) reduce their fuel costs and (B) substitute fuel 100% made in the US of A.

Skull Pilot said:
I'll take my F350 over a Dolt any day.

Enjoy. However, my commute to and from work doesn't require a monster truck, and for carrying a single commuter back and forth to work (assuming you don't need your horse trailer and horse to do it) an F350 is a bit like patrolling the Mississippi with the USS Missouri. It can probably be done, but is it really necessary?

Sounds complicated. I plug the Volt into the wall socket in the evening, and am tanked up and ready to road warrior my way to work in the morning. Plus I am soon to get FREE fuel at the office, and free is even better than cheap!

Except for reliability issues, the VW TDI line is a great car when compared to gassers. The problems with them, besides overall reliability (which can be fixed I presume) is that they aren't any better than even the older style hybrids. My Camry was a 40mpg+ car, you paid quite a bit less for the fuel (diesel selling for sometimes a 20% premium over gasoline), and the maintenance was nil. But in either case, you are still using a fuel which funds foreign governments rather than providing jobs and benefits to Americans.

Skull Pilot said:
We would need no ultra expensive infrastructure to deliver it as any standard gas station can already do it. We wouldn't have to wait for some technological breakthrough in batteries and fuel cells and then wait for the price to come down so we could afford them.

The Volt doesn't cost any more than the median car price in America, I can assure you that electrical infrastructure is quite common in America and better yet is at our homes so we don't have to go to ANY gas station if we choose not to (who wants to go to a gas station anyway?), and you can go get one tomorrow.

Skull Pilot said:
And most importantly our tax dollars wouldn't have to subsidize the purchase of hybrids any more and we'd still be using less fossil fuels and would reduce emissions more than we would if we keep trying to convince people to buy hybrids because a diesel engine is already understood by the public and is quite frankly cheaper to produce maintain and repair.

Well, certainly the Volt is subsidized by the government. But it makes it extremely difficult to say "everyone should go get a VW TDI" if only because they STILL run on fuels coming from somewhere else. During the day, my fuel is captured, refined, and pumped right into my "tank" by the panels on the roof of the parking structure. While a diesel might use less foreign fuels, it sure can't beat that advantage that capturing (drilling), refining (air pollution) and transportation (trucking and hauling and pipelines) takes place with nary an air pollution molecule in site. not just less, but NONE.

Your owning one leaves you latitude and credibility to comment, the rest of those, they have no room to speak. As far as your comment of someone driving a F350 being necessary, it is a choice, just like your choice.

There is a day coming with new hybrids and electric cars that states are going to tax you for the miles you drive. Oregon is already looking at new revenue production for the higher mileage car.

That all said, get me a car that I know will go long distances, holds eight and runs on electric, all for a price that is the same as comparable priced gas engine and I'll buy.p

Biodiesel is a nightmare. Besides poisoning groundwater, it just isn't a sound method for saving energy, and it takes food out of the food chain that is necessary to maintain lower food costs.

Ever hear of waste vegetable oil?

We have more than enough in this country.

And groundwater would be no more in danger from a commercial biodiesel refinery than it would from a petroleum refinery.

I read that. Good OpEd.

So much for the right's claim to be "pro-business".
I hate brusslesprouts. So much for me being pro-business.

:wtf:

Seriously, this is what you're saying this proves? A product of revolutionary technology that doesn't cut it in the marketplace and it means that it's detractors are anti business.

How about those who don't buy horse carriages instead? Are THEY anti-business? What's your consumption of hay down at the hay market lately? You being anti-business and not buying?

Please,

association fail.

Bought a Prius last week. Still have half a tank of gas + (11.5 Gal tank) and have 285 miles on it as of this morning. We'll be taking a ride this morning to Half Moon Bay (near where the Maverick's big wave contest is held) for a Dungeness Crab lunch. I expect we will have plenty of gas after the round trip of around 120 miles.

Battery, BTW, has a 150,000 warranty, drive train 100,000 and the first two years include all maintenance.

We would have bought the Volt, but at $42,500 or so it was nearly $20,000 more than we paid for the Prius.

Last edited:
An electric car will never meet my needs.

And it won't meet the needs of many Americans. But it would easily meet the needs of 75% of Americans who commute less than 40 miles a day, and wish to (A) reduce their fuel costs and (B) substitute fuel 100% made in the US of A.

Skull Pilot said:
I'll take my F350 over a Dolt any day.

Enjoy. However, my commute to and from work doesn't require a monster truck, and for carrying a single commuter back and forth to work (assuming you don't need your horse trailer and horse to do it) an F350 is a bit like patrolling the Mississippi with the USS Missouri. It can probably be done, but is it really necessary?

Sounds complicated. I plug the Volt into the wall socket in the evening, and am tanked up and ready to road warrior my way to work in the morning. Plus I am soon to get FREE fuel at the office, and free is even better than cheap!

Except for reliability issues, the VW TDI line is a great car when compared to gassers. The problems with them, besides overall reliability (which can be fixed I presume) is that they aren't any better than even the older style hybrids. My Camry was a 40mpg+ car, you paid quite a bit less for the fuel (diesel selling for sometimes a 20% premium over gasoline), and the maintenance was nil. But in either case, you are still using a fuel which funds foreign governments rather than providing jobs and benefits to Americans.

Skull Pilot said:
We would need no ultra expensive infrastructure to deliver it as any standard gas station can already do it. We wouldn't have to wait for some technological breakthrough in batteries and fuel cells and then wait for the price to come down so we could afford them.

The Volt doesn't cost any more than the median car price in America, I can assure you that electrical infrastructure is quite common in America and better yet is at our homes so we don't have to go to ANY gas station if we choose not to (who wants to go to a gas station anyway?), and you can go get one tomorrow.

Skull Pilot said:
And most importantly our tax dollars wouldn't have to subsidize the purchase of hybrids any more and we'd still be using less fossil fuels and would reduce emissions more than we would if we keep trying to convince people to buy hybrids because a diesel engine is already understood by the public and is quite frankly cheaper to produce maintain and repair.

Well, certainly the Volt is subsidized by the government. But it makes it extremely difficult to say "everyone should go get a VW TDI" if only because they STILL run on fuels coming from somewhere else. During the day, my fuel is captured, refined, and pumped right into my "tank" by the panels on the roof of the parking structure. While a diesel might use less foreign fuels, it sure can't beat that advantage that capturing (drilling), refining (air pollution) and transportation (trucking and hauling and pipelines) takes place with nary an air pollution molecule in site. not just less, but NONE.

To me, this is the most interesting point concerning the avid oposition to EVs or plug in Hybirds. The very same people that are raising the roof claiming they are the last bastion of defense of liberty in this nation are the very ones opposing a technological development that can give the average homeowner a degree of economic freedom.

Bought a Prius last week. Still have half a tank of gas + (11.5 Gal tank) and have 285 miles on it as of this morning. We'll be taking a ride this morning to Half Moon Bay (near where the Maverick's big wave contest is held) for a Dungeness Crab lunch. I expect we will have plenty of gas after the round trip of around 120 miles.

Battery, BTW, has a 150,000 warranty, drive train 100,000 and the first two years include all maintenance.

We would have bought the Volt, but at $42,500 or so it was nearly $20,000 more than we paid for the Prius.

Sometimes I think that in five years, the only car on the road will be a Prius. Every third car I see on the freeway is a Prius. In one week the parking lot in my building blossomed six brand new Prius cars. Unlike the other hybrids, the Prius is competitively priced which may factor in.

It's a dinky car. I can see it useful for a second commuter car, but not as an only car. Or maybe I just haul around too much stuff.

Thank you for exemplifying why I don't like Toyota Pious owners. It's like buying a Chihuahua for your purse as a status symbol or adopting a child from a third world nation.

That said, they are good for urban stop/start driving, if you don't suck at driving. For long distance driving, you should have gotten a VW GTI/Golf Diesel. That's about the best there is for hiway miles... just don't get to excited about the room you have in it.

Volt-Crash.jpg

car-fire-2-JPEG-500x375.jpg

obama-gm-chevy-volt-suspended-1300-employee-layoffs-fires-sad-hill-news1.jpg

chevrolet-volt-plug-melt_182915.jpg

Fuck it.

I'm sold!

No one needs to flame the Volt. It is quite capable of failing on its own. In fact, all hybrids and electrics are failing on their own. There will be too few repeat purchasers. In the case of hybrids, the more owners today that there are, the fewer owners there will be in the future.

Most Hybrid Owners Wouldn’t Buy Another One | Money Talks News

I'm on my 2nd Prius....just sayin.

How long did you keep the first one?

Until it was paid off, then I traded it in on this one.

As far as your comment of someone driving a F350 being necessary, it is a choice, just like your choice.

There is a day coming with new hybrids and electric cars that states are going to tax you for the miles you drive. Oregon is already looking at new revenue production for the higher mileage car.

I noticed that as well. Fortunately, Oregon (otherwise known as California North) doesn't represent "regular" America, I doubt many others will follow such a path. It smacks of left coast "how dare you do what I demand (drive less) thereby depriving me of a revenue stream designed to create such behavior in the first place, now I must find another way to take your money away from you".

Papageorgio said:
That all said, get me a car that I know will go long distances, holds eight and runs on electric, all for a price that is the same as comparable priced gas engine and I'll buy.p

Sure. Who wouldn't. But such is the way choices work. Some need to seat 8, and demand cross country trip capability on zero notice. Some of us need seating for 1 or 2 or 4, and desire to never go to one of those locations where they demand $4/gal to buy foreign fuel versus the American produced, distributed and delivered to our door cheaply kind.

No one needs to flame the Volt. It is quite capable of failing on its own. In fact, all hybrids and electrics are failing on their own. There will be too few repeat purchasers. In the case of hybrids, the more owners today that there are, the fewer owners there will be in the future.

At the end of the last entry, there were no hybrids. Now, in the 2nd decade of this century, Toyota alone has sold more than a million, within the past 5 years America has designed, tested, mass produced and been selling a car which runs as well as any other family sedan around, is just as quiet, and doesn't require frequent visits to the local "please take my money and send it to Canada or Hugo Chavez or Nigeria" station. The tide, in that time frame, doesn't appear to be going out quite yet.

For long distance driving, you should have gotten a VW GTI/Golf Diesel. That's about the best there is for hiway miles... just don't get to excited about the room you have in it.

Toyota Camry hybrid, 40mpg+, 500-600 miles of range, 2AZ-FXE motor (about as reliable a engine as Toyota makes), room for 4 plus dog and a weeks worth of junk in the trunk for grandma's house. And regular gas is cheaper than diesel in most places, plus you don't get VW reliability (hey! who turned on the CEL! AGAIN!)

As far as your comment of someone driving a F350 being necessary, it is a choice, just like your choice.

I noticed that as well. Fortunately, Oregon (otherwise known as California North) doesn't represent "regular" America, I doubt many others will follow such a path. It smacks of left coast "how dare you do what I demand (drive less) thereby depriving me of a revenue stream designed to create such behavior in the first place, now I must find another way to take your money away from you".

Papageorgio said:

Sure. Who wouldn't. But such is the way choices work. Some need to seat 8, and demand cross country trip capability on zero notice. Some of us need seating for 1 or 2 or 4, and desire to never go to one of those locations where they demand $4/gal to buy foreign fuel versus the American produced, distributed and delivered to our door cheaply kind.

States start losing money, they will find a way to generate more revenue.

Forum List

Back