Electric Vehicles: $4 Million For Wireless Electric Car Charging

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
REVE - Regulacin Elica con Vehculos Elctricos -
april 10, 2012

The Energy Department announced up to $4 million to develop wireless chargers for electric cars.

Imagine being able to charge an electric vehicle – on the go or at home – without ever having to plug in.

A new funding opportunity from the Energy Department seeks to accomplish just that. We're announcing up to $4 million to develop wireless chargers for electric vehicles (EVs). This funding opportunity is made available through the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy 's Vehicle Technologies Program.

EV wireless charging has the potential to accelerate the adoption of EVs – by making them more convenient for consumers to charge, whether they’re at home or away, and to reduce the total energy storage requirements of EVs, unlocking the benefits of lighter and smaller battery packs, lighter vehicles, higher efficiency and longer ranges.

In the near term, this funding will accelerate the development of wireless charging technology to provide hands-free, automated charging of parked vehicles. Static wireless charging – or wireless charging when the vehicle is parked – can ensure easy and efficient vehicle charging.

The Department intends to select up to four projects to research and develop a wireless charging system, integrate it into a production vehicle, and test it in real-world operating conditions. Vehicles equipped with this technology could reach the market this decade.

For more information on this funding opportunity, including application and cost-share requirements, visit the Department’s Funding Opportunity Exchange website. Applications must be submitted through the Funding Opportunity Exchange to be considered for award. The Department expects to announce selections by summer 2012.
----

So you can be driving down the street with the energy going from "power source" to your car? :eusa_shifty: Sounds like Telsa like work to me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telsa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_power_transmission

Last edited:
Wireless charging of iPods failed. Why would this succeed?

I'm sure that was asked by many when efforts to get heavier than air vehicles to fly failed; fortunately, some learned from the failures and tried again and again. Ever watched a C-130 lift off? I have, and still can't believe it does.

I think it's better to let the private-sector figure out how to do it rather than the government paying some contractor to buy $50 muffins while they're trying to figure out how to do it.

Whenever the government gets involved it always turns into a wasteful mess. Name one project that turned into a model of innovation and efficiency???

Interesting idea.

That might eliminate the whole inefficency of batteries problem.

Now what distance can this wireless transfer cover?

A few feet at most?

Okay then our entire road system will have to be wired to accomodate that system.

And cars are going to have to stay on target with the system to be charged while they're moving too.

I still think we're completely on the wrong path.

I think that our desire to continue to have private vehicles is the mistake.

The whole idea of private vehicles is just so damned inefficient.

Millions of miles of roads, trillions of dollars in vehicles, our entire society build around those roads and the cost of transportation saps huge investment out of every consumer's pocket.

Even if we had limitless pollution-free energy, I'd still be saying that the private vehicular approach to transportation ought to be rethought.

Cars trucks and all the infastructure needed to accomodate them is just not an efficient way to move people and goods.

Convenient, yes, but efficient, definitely not.

I'm sure that was asked by many when efforts to get heavier than air vehicles to fly failed; fortunately, some learned from the failures and tried again and again. Ever watched a C-130 lift off? I have, and still can't believe it does.

I understand your point. And $4 mil is a drop in the bucket.

Here's a recent commentary about EV vs Natural Gas vehicles:

RIGZONE - Nat Gas vs. Electric Vehicles: Which Will Drive U.S. Passenger Car Market?

NGV's are a much more practical and logical "next step" away from liquid hydrocarbon fuels IMO.

And we already have rolling brown outs and black outs of power in the summer because the power grid is already over loaded. So some genius thinks it's a good idea to load it up some more with wireless recharging stations? And how do they propose these EV's get recharged when the power goes out?

I think it's better to let the private-sector figure out how to do it rather than the government paying some contractor to buy $50 muffins while they're trying to figure out how to do it.

Whenever the government gets involved it always turns into a wasteful mess. Name one project that turned into a model of innovation and efficiency???

Why yes, one of the ealiest government projects came in at 10 times estimated budget, was finished so late that it was considered lost. And failed in it's primary objective. It was called the Corps of Discovery. Otherwise known as the Lewis and Clark Expedition.

Why yes, one of the ealiest government projects came in at 10 times estimated budget, was finished so late that it was considered lost. And failed in it's primary objective. It was called the Corps of Discovery. Otherwise known as the Lewis and Clark Expedition.

Then there was that government project called NASA

And we already have rolling brown outs and black outs of power in the summer because the power grid is already over loaded. So some genius thinks it's a good idea to load it up some more with wireless recharging stations? And how do they propose these EV's get recharged when the power goes out?

But here in Oregon where we invested heavily in that worthless wnd power, we are having to feather the mills at times because of the excess of power. Not even California can absorb the excess we are producing at present. Of course, when the battery tech produces a reasonably priced high capacity battery, we will be sitting pretty. And our utilities will be making out like bandits.

Then there was that government project called NASA

And the little matter of the development of the Internet.

Then one might consider the effect that the government project that threw the railroad across the continent. At great expense, lots of corruption, and knitted the nation together.

Interesting idea.

A few feet at most?

Okay then our entire road system will have to be wired to accomodate that system.

And cars are going to have to stay on target with the system to be charged while they're moving too.

Millions of miles of roads, trillions of dollars in vehicles, our entire society build around those roads and the cost of transportation saps huge investment out of every consumer's pocket.

Even if we had limitless pollution-free energy, I'd still be saying that the private vehicular approach to transportation ought to be rethought.

Cars trucks and all the infastructure needed to accomodate them is just not an efficient way to move people and goods.

Hmmm....... Such a system, if one could install it in the garage floor or driveway, might be a real winner. No worry about forgetting to plug in, or unplug, for that matter.

$4 million of the federal budget doesn't seem like a lot for a worthy cause. Although, I have little doubt that this money will go to good use. More likely it will be wasted and morph into $400 mil and have nothing to show at the end!

The Energy Department announced up to $4 million to develop wireless chargers for electric cars.

Imagine being able to charge an electric vehicle – on the go or at home – without ever having to plug in.

A new funding opportunity from the Energy Department seeks to accomplish just that. We're announcing up to $4 million to develop wireless chargers for electric vehicles (EVs). This funding opportunity is made available through the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy 's Vehicle Technologies Program.

EV wireless charging has the potential to accelerate the adoption of EVs – by making them more convenient for consumers to charge, whether they’re at home or away, and to reduce the total energy storage requirements of EVs, unlocking the benefits of lighter and smaller battery packs, lighter vehicles, higher efficiency and longer ranges.

In the near term, this funding will accelerate the development of wireless charging technology to provide hands-free, automated charging of parked vehicles. Static wireless charging – or wireless charging when the vehicle is parked – can ensure easy and efficient vehicle charging.

The Department intends to select up to four projects to research and develop a wireless charging system, integrate it into a production vehicle, and test it in real-world operating conditions. Vehicles equipped with this technology could reach the market this decade.

For more information on this funding opportunity, including application and cost-share requirements, visit the Department’s Funding Opportunity Exchange website. Applications must be submitted through the Funding Opportunity Exchange to be considered for award. The Department expects to announce selections by summer 2012.
----

So you can be driving down the street with the energy going from "power source" to your car? :eusa_shifty: Sounds like Telsa like work to me.

Did I miss the part about charging on the fly?

FWIW, I saw an Infiniti concept vehicle at the New York City Auto Show that demonstrated wireless charging. This is evidence that the Japanese auto companies, more than likely with an assist from the Japanese government, are working on this. Given that, I don't mind our government providing a little incentive for our own bright minds to get in the game.

REVE - Regulacin Elica con Vehculos Elctricos -
april 10, 2012

----

So you can be driving down the street with the energy going from "power source" to your car? :eusa_shifty: Sounds like Telsa like work to me. Nikola Tesla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wireless energy transfer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some guy named Tesla (whoever he was:lol:) postulated something like that a long, long time ago. Nice to see someone is finally thinking about it again.

Interesting idea.

A few feet at most?

Hmmm....... Such a system, if one could install it in the garage floor or driveway, might be a real winner. No worry about forgetting to plug in, or unplug, for that matter.

Such a system, if developed to its logical conclusion, would revolutionize power transmission for the whole planet. It's amazing how small you guys think.

Forum List

Back