The Right Flames the Volt

China has the biggest GM factory in the world. If they wanted a Chinese Volt, the'd build one instead of a Malibu.

No one has anything against the car. What sensible people object to is the government harassing people into buying one whether it would be a good decision or not.

Government harrassing people into buying a Volt? Links?

No, because you have none. Just more flap yap, and fear of anything that is new. What a bunch of morons we have on this subject.

roasted-marshmallow-2.jpg

China has the biggest GM factory in the world. If they wanted a Chinese Volt, the'd build one instead of a Malibu.

No one has anything against the car. What sensible people object to is the government harassing people into buying one whether it would be a good decision or not.

China could not build the Volt in China because GM refuses to provide the intellectual property around the control systems that allow the vehicle to move seamlessly from all electric to gas engine powering e-motors.

Can you give an example of the gov't harassing people to buy votes? I'm genuinely curious as to when / where / how this is happening.

Just thought I'd infect this thread with a third party opinion that contains <gulp> facts.....

In Defense of the Chevy Volt - Rick Newman (usnews.com)

And a quick update.....
Time with Volt: 2 months, 2 days
Mileage: just over 2,000
Gas used: 2.7 gallons (still has 6.3 gallons of dealer gas in it)
Last time engine turned on: Hmmmmm. Can't remember, but I'm thinking maybe 3-4 weeks ago.

The "Volt" is a symbol of the Obama administration. The government says we should buy it but nobody wants it or can afford the pretty looking hunk of junk that only gets 35 miles to the charge except the liberal elites who use it as a toy.

So here we have an "Made in USA" technology, and the 'Conservatives' can do nothing but flame it. What a bunch of sour grape peddlers. Makes you truly wonder what kind of idiotocracy they would install if they gained power.

As I asked before if it's so great then why have the taxpayers subsidize the purchase?

If you want the government to pick which products will receive special treatment, then it is you who are anti business.

Let the Dolt compete without government intervention and we'll see how good it really is.

Denier!

(LOL)

The "Volt" is a symbol of the Obama administration. The government says we should buy it but nobody wants it or can afford the pretty looking hunk of junk that only gets 35 miles to the charge except the liberal elites who use it as a toy.

35 miles per gallon just on battery, but with the generator it can go at least 379 miles.:lol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevy_volt

Last edited:
If the Chevy Dolt was so good then people wouldn't need to be bribed with tax credits to buy it.

And those of you who support the government bribing people to buy a product at the expense of others are the ones who don't really support businesses and competition but would rather have the government choose who wins and who loses.

The free market isn't as ridged as you make it out to be. The US government also subsidies the oil industry to keep gas prices low. Otherwise gas prices would be somewhere around $8.50/gallon (as they are in countries like France and Italy).

So if gas prices in the US were at that non-subsided high rate, how do you think that would affect the demand of a high mpg vehicle such as the volt?

It would obviously increase demand greatly.
But since we don't live in that type of economy, because the government is artificially affecting gas prices... its only fair that they level the playing field for new technology like the Volt.

If the Chevy Dolt was so good then people wouldn't need to be bribed with tax credits to buy it.

And those of you who support the government bribing people to buy a product at the expense of others are the ones who don't really support businesses and competition but would rather have the government choose who wins and who loses.

The free market isn't as ridged as you make it out to be. The US government also subsidies the oil industry to keep gas prices low. Otherwise gas prices would be somewhere around $8.50/gallon (as they are in countries like France and Italy).

So if gas prices in the US were at that non-subsided high rate, how do you think that would affect the demand of a high mpg vehicle such as the volt?

But since we don't live in that type of economy, because the government is artificially affecting gas prices... its only fair that they level the playing field for new technology like the Volt.

Now credible estimates of federal oil subsides range from 10 to 52 billion dollars a year.

The US uses 19 million barrels of oil a day or 6.9 billion barrels a year.

The current price per barrel of oil is about 100 dollars

Therefore we spend 690 billion dollars a year on oil.

The subsidies only lower the price of oil by 1% to 7%

Fossil Fuel Subsidies | The Price of Oil

Consumption > Oil statistics - Countries Compared - NationMaster

CRUDE OIL PRICE: Oil | Energy | Petroleum | Oil Price | Crude Oil Charts | Oil Price Forecast

So tell me where do you come up with the 8.50 a gallon number?

As you can see in the UK the largest piece of the pie that is the price of gasoline is not production but rather the taxes.

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/petrol-prices/cost-litre-breakdown.html
unleaded-breakdown.GIF

Last edited:

Now credible estimates of federal oil subsides range from 10 to 52 billion dollars a year.

As you can see in the UK the largest piece of the pie that is the price of gasoline is not production but rather the taxes.

$8.50 per gallon is simply the price payed in other countries like France.

As your link pointed out the US government spends $10 to $52 Billion subsidizing the oil industry, so you concede the free market is not as ridged as you initial made it out to seem. How much do we spend subsidizing the Volt again?

You also pointed out how in the UK oil is taxed more, which shows that not only do we taxpayers subsidize the oil industry, but the US government is also more lenient on taxes when it comes to buying oil... which encourages more buying of oil as opposed to other countries. If oil were taxed more like it is in other countries, this also would alter the demand in favor of new technology and cars like the volt.

Perhaps we wouldn't be paying 8.50/gallon if oil wasn't subsidized... again that number was just based on current ppg in European countries. But you still proved my point that the US government has already altered the free market game in favor of Oil companies.... which is the reason that they are now subsidizing new technology such as the volt to level the playing field.

But since we don't live in that type of economy, because the government is a
rtificially affecting gas prices... its only fair that they level the playing field for new technology like the Volt.

As your link pointed out the US government spends $10 to $52 Billion subsidizing the oil industry, so you concede the free market is not as ridged as you initial made it out to seem. How much do we spend subsidizing the Volt again?

You also pointed out how in the UK oil is taxed more, which shows that not only do we taxpayers subsidize the oil industry, but the US government is also more lenient on taxes when it comes to buying oil... which encourages more buying of oil as opposed to other countries. If oil were taxed more like it is in other countries, this also would alter the demand in favor of new technology and cars like the volt.

Perhaps we wouldn't be paying 8.50/gallon if oil wasn't subsidized... again that number was just based on current ppg in European countries. But you still proved my point that the US government has already altered the free market game in favor of Oil companies.... which is the reason that they are now subsidizing new. Uw technology such as the volt to level the playing field.

I have always been against subsidies so it's fine with me to stop them all

But if you insist on subsidizing so called green energy then limit it to the same 10 to 52 billion that oil gets

But that said the track record of government funded green energy is one of rising rates despite the subsidies

Perhaps we wouldn't be paying 8.50/gallon if oil wasn't subsidized... again that number was just based on current ppg in European countries. But you still proved my point that the US government has already altered the free market game in favor of Oil companies.... which is the reason that they are now subsidizing new. Uw technology such as the volt to level the playing field.

But if you insist on subsidizing so called green energy then limit it to the same 10 to 52 billion that oil gets

But that said the track record of government funded green energy is one of rising rates despite the subsidies

I personally don't like these subsidies either, so I guess we can both agree on that. But unfortunately at this point we are already too deep to stop subsidies on the Oil industry. If we were to do that, the increase in gas prices would cause in increase in shipping costs and as a result an increase in the price of nearly all goods and services in the US. This could severely hurt the economy.

The subsidy on the new technology like the volt is the easiest solution to level the playing field. As I understand this subsidy costs the US government a maximum of around $100 million (10,000 volts produced in 2011, times $10,000 credit). This actual number is lower because less than 10,000 volts were sold in 2011.

This subsidy is a tiny fraction when compared to the billions of dollars spent on subsidizing the oil industry annually, so it doesn't really seem like such a crazy idea.

Not big into subsidizing any business.

As far as how the right feels about the VOLT?

Only 10,000 have been sold since it was built, it seems to me, no one is supporting the VOLT.

So liberals are not really buying them either but the liberals want everyone to support what they aren't supporting?

How many liberals on this forum own a VOLT?

If you don't own one, why are you not supporting it?

Subsidies to the oil industry are in the $1.5 to $3.0 billion range. None of the figures you quote are credible. They include things like credits to the elderly for home heating oil. That's welfare, not an oil industry subsidy.

Subsidies to the oil industry are in the $1.5 to $3.0 billion range. None of the figures you quote are credible. They include things like credits to the elderly for home heating oil. That's welfare, not an oil industry subsidy.

link?

I think all of America should be driving electric... just not the Volt. lol
God Bless, that thing is ugly. It looks like a enema on wheels

The stupid Volt. It has replaced the Prius as a vagina on wheels.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoEUIWh88tk]The Other Guys Tribute to the Prius - YouTube[/ame]

link?

From Pattycake?

Volts do not have convenient charging stations, neither did early autos have a convenient source of fuel.
Buy a horse they just need grass and water.

Same logic.

Forum List

Back