The Reverend Jesse Jackson Has Joined The Schiavo Situation

Eightball

Oct 13, 2004
At the invitation of Terry's parent's/family, the Rev. Jesse Jackson, had spoken out on their behalf.

His previous record of exploiting heart-wrenching situations for his political gain, had me ponder/wondering his motives.

I'm not going to slam what he's doing, since I agree with his most recent comment, but.................?

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/4326195/detail.html

Jesse Jackson Calls Schiavo Treatment 'Injustice'
Parents Say Daughter Is Weak, Emaciated

POSTED: 9:32 am CST March 29, 2005
UPDATED: 11:42 am CST March 29, 2005

PINELLAS PARK, Fla. -- The Rev. Jesse Jackson says Terri Schiavo's case "transcends politics and family disputes."

He's been visiting the Florida hospice where the severely brain-damaged woman has gone without nutrients or water since March 18. Jackson called her treatment an "injustice" and said denying her a feeding tube and water is "unnecessary."

Schiavo's parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, invited the civil rights leader after he issued a statement last week calling for the woman's feeding tube to be reconnected. Some demonstrators applauded Jackson when he arrived and shouted, "This is about civil rights."

Schiavo's family is still urging President George W. Bush, Congress and Florida Gov. Jeb Bush to intervene.

Schiavo's father said she is weak and emaciated. Her husband's attorney says the 41-year-old brain-damaged woman is calm and peaceful.

She is under police guard at a Pinellas Park hospice as she enters her twelfth day without food and water.

TERRI SCHIAVO

At least two appeals by the state are seeking the tube's reconnection, but the challenges are before a state appeals court that has rejected previous efforts to intervene.

The chief medical examiner for Pinellas County has agreed to perform an autopsy on Terri Schiavo. Her husband wants definitive proof showing the extent of her brain damage.

Michael Schiavo contends his wife told him years ago she would not want to be kept alive artificially under such circumstances.

An attorney for Schiavo's parents, David Gibbs III, said her family also wants an autopsy.

"We would certainly support and encourage an autopsy to be done with all the unanswered questions," Gibbs said.

Eightball said:
At the invitation of Terry's parent's/family, the Rev. Jesse Jackson, had spoken out on their behalf.

His previous record of exploiting heart-wrenching situations for his political gain, had me ponder/wondering his motives.

I'm not going to slam what he's doing, since I agree with his most recent comment, but.................?

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/4326195/detail.html

Jesse Jackson Calls Schiavo Treatment 'Injustice'
Parents Say Daughter Is Weak, Emaciated

POSTED: 9:32 am CST March 29, 2005
UPDATED: 11:42 am CST March 29, 2005

PINELLAS PARK, Fla. -- The Rev. Jesse Jackson says Terri Schiavo's case "transcends politics and family disputes."

He's been visiting the Florida hospice where the severely brain-damaged woman has gone without nutrients or water since March 18. Jackson called her treatment an "injustice" and said denying her a feeding tube and water is "unnecessary."

Schiavo's parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, invited the civil rights leader after he issued a statement last week calling for the woman's feeding tube to be reconnected. Some demonstrators applauded Jackson when he arrived and shouted, "This is about civil rights."

Schiavo's family is still urging President George W. Bush, Congress and Florida Gov. Jeb Bush to intervene.

Schiavo's father said she is weak and emaciated. Her husband's attorney says the 41-year-old brain-damaged woman is calm and peaceful.

She is under police guard at a Pinellas Park hospice as she enters her twelfth day without food and water.

TERRI SCHIAVO

At least two appeals by the state are seeking the tube's reconnection, but the challenges are before a state appeals court that has rejected previous efforts to intervene.

The chief medical examiner for Pinellas County has agreed to perform an autopsy on Terri Schiavo. Her husband wants definitive proof showing the extent of her brain damage.

Michael Schiavo contends his wife told him years ago she would not want to be kept alive artificially under such circumstances.

An attorney for Schiavo's parents, David Gibbs III, said her family also wants an autopsy.

"We would certainly support and encourage an autopsy to be done with all the unanswered questions," Gibbs said.

There was a time when many on this board were screaming to hear the voice of a "moderate" muslim. If a "moderate" Chirstian would have the guts to speak out about this case at least the media could choose who to cover. The moderate Christian or the "extremists".

gop_jeff said:
I can't believe I'm agreeing with Jesse Jackson...

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the guy isnt as bad as i thought.. but then i dont really think of him much.

has suddenly come to Jesus? I thought his only religion was squeezing a buck out of playing the race card at every turn...

BR-549 said:
has suddenly come to Jesus? I thought his only religion was squeezing a buck out of playing the race card at every turn...

Maybe he decided that he needed to do something that made him look legit !! :)

BR-549 said:

dilloduck said:
Maybe he decided that he needed to do something that made him look legit !! :)

Was his "Reverend" moniker an honorarium, or from a real bible college........? :bow3:

So much of his past hasn't reflected what I would call scriptural or biblical. :read:

I guess that's where I'm having a difficult time with this Jackson/Schiavo revelation. :bangheads

Our we looking at a Trojan Horse? :dev3: or what?

Well Jesse has spent most of his life in Chicago. :rolleyes: He's been a problem for the city and some of the suburbs for as long as I can remember.

I must admit though, if the calls he was making were legit and he can turn the Tallahassee Senate around and get something signed, I'll be thrilled.

I still wonder why he didn't do this over a week ago, without Congressional interference? But heh, that's Jesse. Let the GOP implode, then 'come to the rescue', but Terri might not have the time...

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the guy isnt as bad as i thought.. but then i dont really think of him much.

Don't start getting all warm and squishy over Jackson.

He is a self-serving opportunist who is there to exploit the Schiavo situation for his own glorification. If somebody leaves a television camera on long enough, Jackson will eventually pop up to stick his repugnant mug in front of it.

Merlin1047 said:
Don't start getting all warm and squishy over Jackson.

He is a self-serving opportunist who is there to exploit the Schiavo situation for his own glorification. If somebody leaves a television camera on long enough, Jackson will eventually pop up to stick his repugnant mug in front of it.

I got to agree with Merlin on this one! :) I'm thinking some type of ulterior motive here! :rolleyes:

There's an interesting poll about this on Rusty Humphries' website:

http://www.talk2rusty.com/

Do you think Jessie Jackson visited Terri Schiavo because:
He believes it's his duty as a reverend
He believes it's his duty as a media whore
He's getting paid by someone

Should go vote now.. :)

I heard one of the reasons he joined was because the Black caucus is really in support of terri. Which wouldnt surprise me. There are some on the left arguing that she isn't really human anymore because she is in this vegetative state. It was only a century or two ago that people were saying blacks were human. I dont think they or anyone else wants the government to determine who is human or not.

I heard one of the reasons he joined was because the Black caucus is really in support of terri. Which wouldnt surprise me. There are some on the left arguing that she isn't really human anymore because she is in this vegetative state. It was only a century or two ago that people were saying blacks were human. I dont think they or anyone else wants the government to determine who is human or not.

I appreciate Jesse being on the side of life in this and calling in some favors with his caucus, but I wish he had done this a little sooner. If he does indeed manage to wrangle the Fla Senate to actually put it up for a vote and then garner the three votes needed, I will have forever changed my opinion of him. Im not expecting much here though.

Maybe the Reverend had a spiritual epiphany.

By the way, Hannity interviewed him on the Hannity & Colmes Fox News show.

He seemed quite sincere. Colmes was quite taken back and said something like, "who would of ever dreamed that Sean Hannity and Jesse Jackson would be sitting together agreeing on something." They were sitting outside Terry Schiavo's hospice building for the interview.

I still have a hard time not thinking that Jesse is trying to get "points", but hey, what politician doesn't have that built into their inner-most core.

If it will help Terry..........I'm for it.

It's just that if she gets the tube back in I think the dehydration has already badly damaged her internal organs. One doctor said that if they introduced food/water back into her stomach it could kill her.(Fox news interview).

I have to say I am a little freaked out the Jesse and I are on the same side. He is working to get the State Legislature to fix the law, and he and I agree that that is the place to fix this.

Shoot, I feel a little tainted now...

Hard to type words that have me and the Rev. Jackson in agreement.

no1tovote4 said:
I have to say I am a little freaked out the Jesse and I are on the same side. He is working to get the State Legislature to fix the law, and he and I agree that that is the place to fix this.

Shoot, I feel a little tainted now...

Hard to type words that have me and the Rev. Jackson in agreement.

Hopefully after he's done there something insane will call him elsewhere and we all can return to normal

Forum List

Back