Pope May Need Fedding Tube

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
Report: Pope May Get Feeding Tube
Tuesday, March 29, 2005

VATICAN CITY — Pope John Paul II (search) may have to return to the hospital to have a feeding tube inserted, an Italian news agency reported Tuesday. It stressed that no decision had been made.

The APcom news agency, citing an unidentified source, said the 84-year-old pope might have to have the tube inserted to improve his nutrition since he is having difficulty swallowing with the breathing tube that was inserted Feb. 24.

APcom said the idea of inserting a feeding tube was a hypothesis that was being considered. The procedure involves inserting a tube into the stomach to allow for artificial feeding.

Earlier Tuesday, the Italian daily Corriere della Sera reported that the pope's doctors were considering a new hospitalization next week both to perform tests on the breathing tube and to adjust his diet because of problems swallowing.

There was no comment from the Vatican. Nicola Cerbino, a spokesman at Polyclinic Gemelli (search) hospital where John Paul was rushed twice last month, called it media speculation.

Another newspaper, La Repubblica, quoted the pope's Vatican physician, Dr. Renato Buzzonetti, as saying doctors are "reasonably calm" about the frail pope's condition.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,151775,00.html

Good thing he isn't in Florida!

Since his guardian is G-d himself, I wonder how the courts would handle this one....

You know there is so much room here for irony if not so dire a situation like this one.

But you have to marvel at the timing, coincidence I think not!!!

I guess the difference is the pope has a living mind (consciousness) and a failing body. Other feeding tube recipients (e.g. Schiavo) have a dead mind (no consciousness) and a living body. I suppose this whole argument hinges on semantics though:

How many people would opt to not mechanically sustain a living human body with functioning nervous system, heart, etc if that body had no consciousness or any hope of attaining one?

Can we call this a "human"? Can we call this a "living human"? What if such a body existed that never had a conscious mind to begin with? These are honestly not leading questions, I'm genuinely curious as to the answers from conservatives.

nakedemperor said:
Other feeding tube recipients (e.g. Schiavo) have a dead mind (no consciousness) and a living body.

:link:

Long time no hear, NE! I hope all is well.

nakedemperor said:
I guess the difference is the pope has a living mind (consciousness) and a failing body. Other feeding tube recipients (e.g. Schiavo) have a dead mind (no consciousness) and a living body. I suppose this whole argument hinges on semantics though:

How many people would opt to not mechanically sustain a living human body with functioning nervous system, heart, etc if that body had no consciousness or any hope of attaining one?

Can we call this a "human"? Can we call this a "living human"? What if such a body existed that never had a conscious mind to begin with? These are honestly not leading questions, I'm genuinely curious as to the answers from conservatives.

If all possibilities had been exhausted and there truly was no hope, no I wouldn't want to keep them on any kind of machine if it were left to me. That's my problem with Michael Shiavo, along with the fact that I think he's a lying bastard. If there are doctors that think they can help, why not let them try? And, yes, of course this would still be a human.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050330/ap_on_re_eu/pope

Pope Getting Nutrition From Feeding Tube

24 minutes ago Europe - AP

By VICTOR L. SIMPSON, Associated Press Writer

VATICAN CITY - Pope John Paul II is getting nutrition from a feeding tube through the nose, the Vatican said on Wednesday, shortly after the frail pontiff appeared at his window in St. Peter's Square and unsuccessfully tried to speak.

Vatican spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls said the tube was aimed at improving the pope's calorie intake. It was not visible when the pope made his appearance...

nakedemperor said:

NE, first, welcome back - long time no see! :thup:

Second, I disagree that Terry Schiavo has a dead mind. A degraded mind, yes, but she is still capable of responding to light, sounds, etc. I think it's obvious from watching videos that she is at least conscious, even if she has lost functionality. As such, it is wrong to label her brain dead, and even more wrong to starve her to death.

nakedemperor said:

Have you seen Terri? Have you visited her or her parents?

If not, how are you qualified to say she's in a "no concious" state?

-Cp said:
Have you seen Terri? Have you visited her or her parents?

If not, how are you qualified to say she's in a "no concious" state?

To date, I'm aware of one medical doctor who has said that Mrs. Schiavo is not in a persistant vegitative state, a doctor who has not actually ever been in the woman's presence. Forgive me for trusting the opinions of the numerous MD's who have examined her over the hopeful opining of her relatives.

nakedemperor said:
To date, I'm aware of one medical doctor who has said that Mrs. Schiavo is not in a persistant vegitative state, a doctor who has not actually ever been in the woman's presence. Forgive me for trusting the opinions of the numerous MD's who have examined her over the hopeful opining of her relatives.

There have been more. One that examined and observed her for about 10 hours, if I remember correctly. It really doesn't matter now. All routes have been taken and they lead to the same brick wall. I am at the point that I hope she passes soon and is out of her misery, fill in the blank with whatever source you think that misery comes from.

gop_jeff said:
NE, first, welcome back - long time no see! :thup:

Second, I disagree that Terry Schiavo has a dead mind. A degraded mind, yes, but she is still capable of responding to light, sounds, etc. I think it's obvious from watching videos that she is at least conscious, even if she has lost functionality. As such, it is wrong to label her brain dead, and even more wrong to starve her to death.

Plants are capable of responding (reacting) to light stimuli, yet we don't consider them to have even minimal consciousness.

Forum List

Back