The realities of your Constitutional Rights

ZooGardens

Jan 10, 2016
1.Sure, you have the right to refuse to be searched (unless you are under arrest).... however there are ways around it, if the police have probable cause they can arrest you outright for just what they see.. which automatically nullifies your right to refuse to be searched, the police can also obtain a court order which nullifies your rights to refuse to be searched.

2.Sure, you are GENERALLY better off respectfully asserting your rights and requesting an attorney....
And in ANY case whatsoever, you ALWAYS have the right to assert your rights and request a lawyer, however this doesn't always pan out so well for people facing long prison sentences when a better deal is on the table.

Asserting your rights isn't a get out of jail free card, the police have a legal ways of doing things, they have rights too....
And asserting your rights is NOT an acquittal either.
Dying like a stuck irish pig for your rights isn't much of a deal, especially for a chance that you don't have, of getting off. (I just had to crack a half joke about it)..

That's the realities of it.

Last edited:
A policeman once asked me if I understood my rights. I didn't have a clue what my right to remain silent meant. I told him the truth. He continued to question me, so I witnessed. The state is not prepared to deal with a suspect who witnesses.

Forum List

Back