The Quote That Will Cost Obama The Election

The problem is that nothing has come out other than that one quote and a few other similar quotes from Obama on the subject. I think it's fair to ask him who hired him for the Annenberg Challenge.

well I think it would be pretty safe to assume that it wasn't Ayers since he only sat on the Board of Directors, just like Obama. I think this is just another bullshit issue that means nothing but the Repubs want it to mean something cuz they can't actually run on the issues...

As for Palin she has cut earmarks 50% in less than 2 years in office and reduced travel expenses 80%. She out negotiated big oil to the benefit of the people of Alaska. Before that she blew the whistle on the head of the Republican Party in Alaska. You may not like her positions but you can't say she hasn't been a reformer.

Palin cuting earmarks by 50% would be impressive IF that didn't mean she were merely bringing Alaska IN LINE with every other state.... Alaska was OTT in earmarks.... Palin is still requesting them and she is running on a platform that says they should be eliminated ergo she's being a hypocrite... if she merely said "earmark ABUSE should stop" then okay but McCain and now Palin's platform is that earmarks should stop PERIOD!

well I think it would be pretty safe to assume that it wasn't Ayers since he only sat on the Board of Directors, just like Obama.

According to Wikipediia the Chicago School Reform Collaborative was co-chaired by Ayers and then a Board of Directors was recruited by the Collaborative. The Board of Directors was chaired from 1995 to 2000 by Obama.

Palin cuting earmarks by 50% would be impressive IF that didn't mean she were merely bringing Alaska IN LINE with every other state.... Alaska was OTT in earmarks.... Palin is still requesting them and she is running on a platform that says they should be eliminated ergo she's being a hypocrite... if she merely said "earmark ABUSE should stop" then okay but McCain and now Palin's platform is that earmarks should stop PERIOD!

Per Wikipedia, "Congressional earmarks are often defined loosely as anonymously authored guarantees of federal funds to particular recipients in appropriations-related documents."

My understanding of the McCain / Palin position is that the anonymous part needs to end and as well as hiding them in disrelated bills. Obviously the Federal Government is still going to give States money but McCain has promised to veto any bill with an earmark. He should be applauded for this.

As for Palin, she has been Governor for less than two years and cut earmarks by 50%. She should be given credit for this, not belittled for it.

On the other hand Obama has requested nearly one billion in earmarks which is nearly one million dollars a day for every day he's worked in the Senate.

"Ayers is a guy who lives in my neighborhood... "

Desparate to avoid responsibility and accountability for Republican stewardship of the economy, for missing WMD, and for a trillion dollars flushed in Iraq, are you?

Hey dude: Merril Lynch and Lehman Bros. crashed and burned today. The Republican economic stewarship and oversight of our economy and financial systems has been an utter castastrophe.

And you're allegedly stressing out about some 60s radical no one under the age of 60 ever heard about until three months ago?

Partisan hackery at its best.

According to Wikipediia the Chicago School Reform Collaborative was co-chaired by Ayers and then a Board of Directors was recruited by the Collaborative. The Board of Directors was chaired from 1995 to 2000 by Obama.

that still doesn't mean Ayers had anything to do with hiring him....and even if he did, so what? are you going to say that Obama can be held responsible for behavior by this man which happened 40 years ago? GMAB already

My understanding of the McCain / Palin position is that the anonymous part needs to end and as well as hiding them in disrelated bills. Obviously the Federal Government is still going to give States money but McCain has promised to veto any bill with an earmark. He should be applauded for this.

well if that's their problem then they shouldn't have any issue with Obama...he's released all his earmark requests...nothing anonymous there....

Obama Releases Earmark Requests, Challenges Hillary To Do The Same

As for Palin, she has been Governor for less than two years and cut earmarks by 50%. She should be given credit for this, not belittled for it.

no one is belittling her....her record shows she STILL asked for MORE money than ANY OTHER STATE and she's running on a campaign calling for the end of earmark abuse.... she's not saying she CUT earmarks, she's saying she eliminated them....

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2008-03-22-earmarks_N.htm

[On the other hand Obama has requested nearly one billion in earmarks which is nearly one million dollars a day for every day he's worked in the Senate.

I guess 740 million is like ONE BILLION in republican math

TheHill.com - Clinton: $2.3B in earmarks

Obama has released all the earmark requests he offered since being elected to the Senate in 2004, which totaled roughly $740 million over three years. Obama has also criticized Clinton for not disclosing her requests. Her office would not say how much she requested in previous years.

and Obama is still not the worst in asking for earmarks for his state.

The total amount Clinton requested greatly surpasses the $837 million secured last year by Sen. Thad Cochran of Mississippi, the ranking Republican on the Appropriations Committee who took home the largest dollar amount of earmarks in the current fiscal year’s spending bills.

well if that's their problem then they shouldn't have any issue with Obama...he's released all his earmark requests...nothing anonymous there....

Yes, but what bills were these earmarks attached to? I think that is part of the McCain argument. The earmarks are used to buy votes. But good for Obama for releasing his earmark requests.

no one is belittling her

You can't be serious.

Her record shows she STILL asked for MORE money than ANY OTHER STATE

I think you may have your facts wrong here. Perhaps you mean per person.

She's not saying she CUT earmarks, she's saying she eliminated them....

Good for her for cutting them. I think after 1.5 years that should be applauded. All politicians exaggerate. Example: Obama promises to cut taxes for 95% of "taxpayers". Problem is 40% of those who file don't pay any taxes.

Desparate to avoid responsibility and accountability for Republican stewardship of the economy, for missing WMD, and for a trillion dollars flushed in Iraq, are you?

Hey dude: Merril Lynch and Lehman Bros. crashed and burned today. The Republican economic stewarship and oversight of our economy and financial systems has been an utter castastrophe.

And you're allegedly stressing out about some 60s radical no one under the age of 60 ever heard about until three months ago?

Partisan hackery at its best.

Well don't you know? The McCain Campaign wants to make this a campaign of personalities rather then issues. :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back