The Pro-Civil Rights White Majority

I grew up in Alabama during the later half of the civil rights battle.Yeah I remember him. His late life search for redemption does not excuse his pandering to the racists.

Not the point I was going to make.

Does it seem strange to you, that he won elections AFTER he flipped on the Civil Rights issue?
It's strange in hindsight but it's not like he changed overnight or that fomenting racial strife was all he was . Looking back I think it was the junior college system he implemented or the free immunization program or the electrical infrastructure programs or the road programs or a bunch of other stuff he did to finally bring Alabama out of the 19th century. When I was born in the mid 60s there were still parts where electricity was fairly new and half the roads were still dirt. .

The fact that his base did not feel betrayed by his flip, greatly undermines the narrative of the Conventional Wisdom of the South being sooooo deeply racist.

Not to mention the Myth of the Southern Strategy.

If George FUcking Wallace, could flip on Civil Rights and not lose his base, why would the parties do so?
Well then that brings us to the strange tale of Fob James, the first republican governor Alabama ever had. First he was a regular old southern democrat who served one term in the eighties then swapped parties to republican and came back to win another term in the nineties. As a democrat he further integrated state government and was fairly progressive. As a republican he set to work undoing progress and making Alabama into the the embarrassing economic shithole it is today. Fob James clearly illustrates what happened after republicanism infected the south. All progress stopped and Alabama doomed itself to be the place where the GOP does experiments on making people accept less and less for their tax dollar.

Just reviewed him in Wikepedia, what do you mean he "undid progress" in his second term?

And how is this relevant to the point about Wallace and his base not caring about his flipping on the Civil Rights issue?
Apparently they did care somewhat. You have to understand that in the 70s every white voter was still stubbornly democrat and simply picked the most conservative one every time. They were also not happy about the increasing black presence in their party. At this time the Klan made a remarkable comeback in reaction to the civil rights movement. They were organized, conservative and blanketed Alabama with literature that just happened to match up nicely with what the republicans were saying. It seemed like the Klan was everywhere while Carter was president. Priming people to abandon the democratic party for abandoning southern values. As I said, nothing happened overnight.

Not the point I was going to make.

Does it seem strange to you, that he won elections AFTER he flipped on the Civil Rights issue?
It's strange in hindsight but it's not like he changed overnight or that fomenting racial strife was all he was . Looking back I think it was the junior college system he implemented or the free immunization program or the electrical infrastructure programs or the road programs or a bunch of other stuff he did to finally bring Alabama out of the 19th century. When I was born in the mid 60s there were still parts where electricity was fairly new and half the roads were still dirt. .

The fact that his base did not feel betrayed by his flip, greatly undermines the narrative of the Conventional Wisdom of the South being sooooo deeply racist.

If George FUcking Wallace, could flip on Civil Rights and not lose his base, why would the parties do so?
Well then that brings us to the strange tale of Fob James, the first republican governor Alabama ever had. First he was a regular old southern democrat who served one term in the eighties then swapped parties to republican and came back to win another term in the nineties. As a democrat he further integrated state government and was fairly progressive. As a republican he set to work undoing progress and making Alabama into the the embarrassing economic shithole it is today. Fob James clearly illustrates what happened after republicanism infected the south. All progress stopped and Alabama doomed itself to be the place where the GOP does experiments on making people accept less and less for their tax dollar.

Just reviewed him in Wikepedia, what do you mean he "undid progress" in his second term?

And how is this relevant to the point about Wallace and his base not caring about his flipping on the Civil Rights issue?
Apparently they did care somewhat. You have to understand that in the 70s every white voter was still stubbornly democrat and simply picked the most conservative one every time. They were also not happy about the increasing black presence in their party. At this time the Klan made a remarkable comeback in reaction to the civil rights movement. They were organized, conservative and blanketed Alabama with literature that just happened to match up nicely with what the republicans were saying. It seemed like the Klan was everywhere while Carter was president. Priming people to abandon the democratic party for abandoning southern values. As I said, nothing happened overnight.

1. Link to support your claim that the Klan had some sort of "comeback" in the 70s.

2. The GOP of th 70s, were just as committed to equality for blacks as it had ever been, so I don't see what the Klan could or would have been saying that would have anything to do with them, or why.

3. If the Klan was everywhere while Carter was President, they showed it, very strangely, Carter swept the South in 76, and though he did very poorly electoral college wise, still had relatively strong support in the South.

1. Link to support your claim that the Klan had some sort of "comeback" in the 70s.

2. The GOP of th 70s, were just as committed to equality for blacks as it had ever been, so I don't see what the Klan could or would have been saying that would have anything to do with them, or why.

3. If the Klan was everywhere while Carter was President, they showed it, very strangely, Carter swept the South in 76, and though he did very poorly electoral college wise, still had relatively strong support in the South.
1. This is an undisputed fact, not sure why you are disputing it. I remember them standing at the intersections taking donations like firemen do and handing out pamphlets. They had recruitment booths at flea markets and strip malls. They even hung out at our high school football games giving out pamphlets and all the cool kids had t-shirts. All my older male relatives joined up.

2. The GOP was always gung-ho about fearmongering hippies and commies. It sounded just like what they were used to from the old days when open racism was accepted. It was not a stretch for disgruntled southern democrats to take their racism and put it to service in a wider war on liberalism.

3. Carter won the south because he was southern and democrat and not Nixon. It's not any more complicated than that. Even so he was a disappointment to the conservatives who missed the good old days when their politicians lied to them that they were inherently better than everyone else.

1. This is an undisputed fact, not sure why you are disputing it. I remember them standing at the intersections taking donations like firemen do and handing out pamphlets. They had recruitment booths at flea markets and strip malls. They even hung out at our high school football games giving out pamphlets and all the cool kids had t-shirts. All my older male relatives joined up.

2. The GOP was always gung-ho about fearmongering hippies and commies. It sounded just like what they were used to from the old days when open racism was accepted. It was not a stretch for disgruntled southern democrats to take their racism and put it to service in a wider war on liberalism.

3. Carter won the south because he was southern and democrat and not Nixon. It's not any more complicated than that. Even so he was a disappointment to the conservatives who missed the good old days when their politicians lied to them that they were inherently better than everyone else.

1. THe KKK has been fading in and out of existence for generations, never becoming more than unimportant fringe. The most important thing they have done for decades, is giving lefties a way to smear good people.

2. "Not a stretch"? That sounds like you are just assuming a connection.

3. Carter was well after the Dems gave up on resisting Civil Rights, and was well known to be pro-Civil Rights and the those supposedly so racist southerns, had no problem voting for him. That is my point. You made a point, and this historical example proves it to be not true.

4. This should be good news to you. This nation is not nearly as racist as you have been led to believe. Why are you fighting this good news?

Forum List

Back