The Political Correctness Revolving Political Platform

10305413_1005728019470309_525283604784454429_n.jpg

Agree. You are free to offend. But I should likewise be free to call you on it :)

And vice versa

It works both ways - agree. But what ever happened to self-restraint? The fact that yes, I have a right to say it - but I would rather not.

Since when has it become so important to deliberately offend people just because you can?

upload_2015-12-26_18-35-8.jpeg

How about since the left made a point of calling people racists and bigots at the drop of a hat without finding out more about why a person does not support their agenda.

*****SMILE*****

:)

'I always wonder about that "right" and how it is conflated with "free speech". The attitude seems to be - we have a right to behave in a bigoted fashion without being called out in it - racist, anti-semite, islamophobe, misogynist. The implication is - being called out on it, is the enforcement of "political correctness" - that the "right to free speech" means there is no recipricol right in return to denounce it because that would be "political correctness".'

It has to do with the ignorance of the First Amendment common to most on the right as they attempt to propagate the myth of 'political correctness.'

The First Amendment and the doctrine of free speech concern solely the relationship between government and those governed, not the relationship between and among private persons and organizations.

Consequently, when a private person admonishes another private person for his bigotry, the bigot's 'freedom of speech' is in no way 'violated.'

Now, if someone sought through force of law to subject bigots to punitive measures as a consequence of their speech, such as a fine or imprisonment, or likewise sought to disadvantage the media or press for disseminating bigoted speech, that would be a potential First Amendment/free speech violation.

Of course, no one is advocating for any such thing.

As long as private citizens are condemning bigotry and racism in the context of private society, absent seeking to codify prohibiting such speech in public law, the right to free expression is not being restricted or abridged.

That's why there's no such thing as 'political correctness,' if bigots and racists discontinue their hate speech as a consequence of public condemnation, they do so of their own free will, through no force of government or law, at liberty to continue to express their hate speech in spite of the opposition from private society.

'I always wonder about that "right" and how it is conflated with "free speech". The attitude seems to be - we have a right to behave in a bigoted fashion without being called out in it - racist, anti-semite, islamophobe, misogynist. The implication is - being called out on it, is the enforcement of "political correctness" - that the "right to free speech" means there is no recipricol right in return to denounce it because that would be "political correctness".'

It has to do with the ignorance of the First Amendment common to most on the right as they attempt to propagate the myth of 'political correctness.'

The First Amendment and the doctrine of free speech concern solely the relationship between government and those governed, not the relationship between and among private persons and organizations.

Consequently, when a private person admonishes another private person for his bigotry, the bigot's 'freedom of speech' is in no way 'violated.'

Now, if someone sought through force of law to subject bigots to punitive measures as a consequence of their speech, such as a fine or imprisonment, or likewise sought to disadvantage the media or press for disseminating bigoted speech, that would be a potential First Amendment/free speech violation.

As long as private citizens are condemning bigotry and racism in the context of private society, absent seeking to codify prohibiting such speech in public law, the right to free expression is not being restricted or abridged.

That's why there's no such thing as 'political correctness,' if bigots and racists discontinue their hate speech as a consequence of public condemnation, they do so of their own free will, through no force of government or law, at liberty to continue to express their hate speech in spite of the opposition from private society.

Your use of bigots and racists offends me :rolleyes:

Agree. You are free to offend. But I should likewise be free to call you on it :)
Correct.

No one has a 'right' to not be offended; and private citizens are at liberty to condemn that which they find offensive, where such condemnation manifest as neither a 'violation' of free speech nor the myth of 'political correctness.'

Indeed, most on the right attempt to use the 'PC' myth as a partisan weapon against their opponents, by falsely accusing them of seeking to 'prohibit' free speech, when in fact nothing could be further from the truth.

Correct.

No one has a 'right' to not be offended; and private citizens are at liberty to condemn that which they find offensive, where such condemnation manifest as neither a 'violation' of free speech nor the myth of 'political correctness.'

Indeed, most on the right attempt to use the 'PC' myth as a partisan weapon against their opponents, by falsely accusing them of seeking to 'prohibit' free speech, when in fact nothing could be further from the truth.

Yeah....that's why we on the right are always seeking "safe spaces"....good grief

images

Isn't that what the Hate Crime Laws are all about?

Putting punitive measures on top of whatever punishment would normally apply to the crime because people believe the crime was caused because of bigotry?

I do believe so.

*****CHUCKLE*****

The left calls us those names irregardless of what we post. So they get back what they dish out.
This is as wrong as it is childish.

When conservatives refer to African-Americans as 'thugs' subject to an 'entitlement mentality,' when conservatives advocate that Muslim Americans be 'registered,' or when conservatives refer to gay Americans as 'mentally ill,' such hatred and bigotry are correctly and appropriately identified as such, where only the conservatives who express such hatred and bigotry have only themselves to blame for being so identified.

The left calls us those names irregardless of what we post. So they get back what they dish out.
This is as wrong as it is childish.

When conservatives refer to African-Americans as 'thugs' subject to an 'entitlement mentality,' when conservatives advocate that Muslim Americans be 'registered,' or when conservatives refer to gay Americans as 'mentally ill,' such hatred and bigotry are correctly and appropriately identified as such, where only the conservatives who express such hatred and bigotry have only themselves to blame for being so identified.

upload_2015-12-26_19-46-5.jpeg

As do progressives who wish to violate the 14th Amendment by granting special privileges to a specific minority grouping...

Moral Relativism | Page 16 | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

I'm thoroughly enjoying my discussion with Pk1 in that thread about SSM and looking forward to discussing another topic with him... like... say..... illegal immigration.

*****CHUCKLE*****

"Political Correctness" is the current rallying call of partisan politics.

From Wikipedia: Political correctness (adjectivally, politically correct, commonly abbreviated to PC) is a term primarily used as a pejorative to describe language, policies, or measures which are intended not to offend or disadvantage any particular group of people in society; in pejorative usage, those who use the term are generally implying that these policies are excessive.

On the one side, you have the Dems and their supporters...it's about hurt feelings. We don't want to hurt their feelings even though sometimes it seems more along the line of a "solution" looking for a cause...

We can't name a team "Washington Redskins"... because that is somehow demeaning. Suggested alternatives don't seem to hit the mark - for example Paleo-pigmented Indiginous American Warriors has a certain zing but is too much of a mouthful for the average fan to cheer in a stadium rally.

Not that the left is alone in utilizing Political Correctness for their cause - Freedom Fries comes to mind.

On the other side you have the Repubs and their supporters...it's about hurt feelings. We have a right to hurt your feelings so suck it up.

I always wonder about that "right" and how it is conflated with "free speech". The attitude seems to be - we have a right to behave in a bigoted fashion without being called out in it - racist, anti-semite, islamophobe, misogynist. The implication is - being called out on it, is the enforcement of "political correctness" - that the "right to free speech" means there is no recipricol right in return to denounce it because that would be "political correctness".

Political correctness can and has gone to ridiculous extremes but it's opposite side, the anti-political correctness faction is just as extreme. What used to be called "good manners", common decency has become "political correctness" and something to be denounced. And it's politics.

Focus groups tell the GOP what is the outrage and their candidates respond. No mystery

"Political Correctness" is the current rallying call of partisan politics.

From Wikipedia: Political correctness (adjectivally, politically correct, commonly abbreviated to PC) is a term primarily used as a pejorative to describe language, policies, or measures which are intended not to offend or disadvantage any particular group of people in society; in pejorative usage, those who use the term are generally implying that these policies are excessive.

On the one side, you have the Dems and their supporters...it's about hurt feelings. We don't want to hurt their feelings even though sometimes it seems more along the line of a "solution" looking for a cause...

We can't name a team "Washington Redskins"... because that is somehow demeaning. Suggested alternatives don't seem to hit the mark - for example Paleo-pigmented Indiginous American Warriors has a certain zing but is too much of a mouthful for the average fan to cheer in a stadium rally.

Not that the left is alone in utilizing Political Correctness for their cause - Freedom Fries comes to mind.

On the other side you have the Repubs and their supporters...it's about hurt feelings. We have a right to hurt your feelings so suck it up.

I always wonder about that "right" and how it is conflated with "free speech". The attitude seems to be - we have a right to behave in a bigoted fashion without being called out in it - racist, anti-semite, islamophobe, misogynist. The implication is - being called out on it, is the enforcement of "political correctness" - that the "right to free speech" means there is no recipricol right in return to denounce it because that would be "political correctness".

Political correctness can and has gone to ridiculous extremes but it's opposite side, the anti-political correctness faction is just as extreme. What used to be called "good manners", common decency has become "political correctness" and something to be denounced. And it's politics.

This has become one of my pet peeves. It's politically motivated. You are right.

If we, as a society, focus on how something is being said rather than what is being said then we are caught up in an entirely different argument that has nothing to do with the original issue. It's a diversionary tactic to prevent resolution of any issue. It is usually led by the elite squad of whatever media outlet and opining as news.

Over the years I have become critical of "liberals". This isn't occurring because I am becoming right wing. It's because I am watching other liberals do the very shit that we fight against. The vast majority of the PC issue would go away if the actual issues presented were addressed.

Since when do liberals use 20 year old statistics? Since when do liberals not research information? Since when do liberals not question authority? Since when do liberals allow our values to be dictated by the elite squad? Since when do liberals not question our foreign policy?

Correct.

Yeah....that's why we on the right are always seeking "safe spaces"....good grief

You think the right doesn't demand safe spaces? That's funny.

I say I don't like Obamacare...............Many play the race card.
I say I don't believe in abortion........Get called a Sexist and bigot.
Like Obamacare.........................Get called a commie.
Support freedom of choice........Get called a "baby killer".
Conservatives seem to want to complain about PC and practice it at the same time.

Correct.

Perhaps you could provide evidence of your claim?

I would like a single USMB member who has identified political correctness as a major problem in America to give us the details surrounding a single time when they were prevented from saying something that they wanted to say by some law or degree.

Let's see how free speech has been impeded by the PC police.

Anyone?

Correct.

Perhaps you could provide evidence of your claim?

Sure. Just consider the institution of marriage. You want that to be a safe space for you, don't you?

I would like a single USMB member who has identified political correctness as a major problem in America to give us the details surrounding a single time when they were prevented from saying something that they wanted to say by some law or degree.

Let's see how free speech has been impeded by the PC police.

Anyone?

Ok. It's not about being prevented by law or decree.

It's similar to.............what happens when all of the kids in a class room stand up for the pledge of allegiance and one sits down.

Let's take immigration.

Forum List

Back